Review: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X & Ryzen 9 3900X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Yes to everybody that says Intel is still faster when it comes to gaming, but the fact is, this only applies to the minority who have to have higher frame rates as their monitors have higher refresh rates. We are talking loads of dosh here for the serious gamer. Most of here are on 1080p at 60Mhz with a mid range card. Maybe its just my little circle, out of the 10 - 15 people i know who have a computer and play games either use their TV or a 1080p monitor.

I myself could get the more expensive set up ( if i saved a bit more :p ) But for me, who may spend 3 - 4 hrs a week gaming as there is more to life then sitting in a chair and staring at a 40'' screen, having the best setup is a financial waste.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT

I can't see issue with running 3900x or 3700x with 144hz display in anything competitive it shouldn't be an issue at all. Even 240hz seems like it's clear cut that you can do it on amd processor now in the titles where it matters.

Let's say for example overwatch I have 1800x and Vega 64 I can run that game at 200fps no problem what so ever. I can run counter strike over 300 fps. Those are the ones that come to my mind that "need" high fps to begin with.

Mesab67, Embra, ladcrooks and 2 others like this.
  3. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    The little FAN is something I dislike. The smart choice to me, is to buy B450 for a budget build, or X470 for a performance build and save a lot of money. (Unless it's going to be used for production with PCI4 SSD).
    (However, I'm not sure about 3950X...maybe that one is a beast that requires these X570 boards).

On another thought, I had a "silent" PC, all 140mm Noctuas with L.N.A. (running at 800 RPM most of the time) + 2 tiny 10mm noctuas ( NF-A4x10 FLX ) running at full speed (17,9 dB(A) each one) in the VRM of an old Gigabyte GTX970 ITX, which was modded to use a 140mm radiator.
    These fans were pushing a lot of air and they were noiseless with the case closed.

The only thing that was a noticeable were the 140mm Noctuas in full load from 900-1000 RPM to 1200 RPM.

So maybe these X570 fan can be upgraded with 8-12€ better ones.

4. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    The results are looking pretty good for a new release, on a platform with a clear MHz deficit. Future BIOS updates are certain to bring more stability, and eek out a bit more performance.

Speaking of which, many of you may have already seen the thread running over on Reddit, where a Gigabyte Rep' seems to be confirming an issue which stops the CPUs boosting properly. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cacwf9/psa_ryzen_3000_gaming_performance_is_being_gimped/

My own systems are based around TR 2950X with an RTX 2080, and a 5930K with SLI 1070s on ROG Extreme boards @ native 3440 x 1440 resolutions, and both do everything that's thrown at them, whether that's AAA games or video encoding. In fact, I barely bother to overclock or tweak anymore - where at one time, it was mandatory with accelerator boards, overdrive chips or BIOS overclocking.

It's actually reassuring to see so many people happy with their existing platform from a games-playing perspective, which goes to show that FPS isn't the be-all and end-all to everyone. The 9900K platform is clearly great for gaming, but I'm categorically not missing out on anything while running the 2950X - which is likely bested by the new 3900X CPU - and despite costing twice as much.

Good luck, and enjoy those new Ryzens.

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Any benchmarks with AMD ryzen 3000 and rdna Navi?

I want to see the new combo, don't care about Intel and Nvidia combo, they are not common user's option/tier.

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well, it's not gonna do it in BF V, it doesn't do it according to this review, so it's not the best option for a high refresh rate display, that's pretty simple. Especially as overclocked intel CPUs gonna make the gap even wider than what is already seen in this review - given that we know AMD doesn't overclock positively, so really you have to compare that to overclocked Intel. Anyone who's bothered with high refresh rate display should be overclocking their stuff.

7. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Firstly thank you HH for an excellent review of both chips.
    I am very excited to see for this gen, definitely gonna bite. I am impressed with 3700x at its price point particularly, but also 3900x looks excellent. I really do not understand this weird back and forth on this thread.
    I appreciate that overclocking is a fun hobby for some, but realistically overclocking potential is because of manufacturing variance between chips and thus some inconsistency in performance. If the hardware can automatically bring out the best of its ability with no extra input from the user, surely that is a good thing for most pc users and the industry in general? I do not see how saying that the 9900k in some instances can be pushed further, and more so with delidding, as a saleable feature that really attracts anyone except heavy enthusiasts who think tweaking is the be all and end all of pc use.
    Plus, if it works at the top of what it should out of the box, it remains under warranty, another massive benefit to anyone actually caring about the pc in a usable sense long term.
    I am strongly in favour of both the increased security these chips offer, as well as potential for more easy chip upgrades from amd through bios updates and the like.
    AMD is back in the game, and I am all the happier for it, both as an upgrade path and happy for the competition it brings now and for the future as a long term pc user and builder in terms of both performance and cost improvements that we can enjoy as consumers.

Can't wait for reviews of other chips in 3xxx series. If supply of new chips is good AMD I feel AMD may have a winner on their hands

Last thought is seeing general performance and power consumption - I would love something similar to find its way to laptops to both have ok power and thermal envelop without breaking the bank. I have had good experience with ryzen APUs so interested to watch this space.

thesebastian likes this.
  8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Great review!

Tempted to get a 3700X instead of 3800X. But i'm gonna hold out untill a 3800X review.

Planning to use new CPU for atleast 5-6 years, so i don't want to regret not getting something a little more expensive.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Intel´s luck is that even if everyone wants to move to Ryzen, AMD can´t make them in sufficient quantity for everyone so companies are "being" forced to buy Intel workstation/server CPUs even if they prefer AMD...

About the gaming issue, i´m really curious to see how the 3600 CPUs perform because they could be a better choice for gamers. When is the review of those?

HandR likes this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AM4 compatibility effect will be in place for some years. You can always sell older CPU and get updated.
    Taking into account price difference between 3700X and 3800X which can be taken as savings. Upgrade later may be considered cheaper.

thesebastian likes this.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    That's not really how i roll. I might even have to sell the 3700X second hand at a loss then. I'm not in a hurry anyways, i'll just wait it out.

Might have to wait untill 2020 anyways due to B550. I did want to get X470, but i read in other reviews that X470 is giving issues left and right.

Why not X570? I don't want a small fan on my motherboard, unless it only kicks in when you use PCI-E SSDs (which i will not use).

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, I meant it this way. Buying 3800X now is extra $70. Which you can take as additional loss down the road as you would sell 3700X and buy even stronger CPU than 3800X. That's if AMD releases Zen2+.

thesebastian likes this.
  13. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/5

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    People did complain about reviewers being "forced" to make tests around 4th of July... US centrism 101.
    AMD trolled everyone as result by giving gimped BIOS. And everyone will be re-testing.

moo100times and HWgeek like this.
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Game Nexus had one I believe, AMD sent the 3700's and 3900's but those sourcing their own hardware picked up some of the other models although I think their CPU wasn't the best binned so results could potentially be better although with the info on the Windows scheduler and possible issues, AGESA and voltage and max clocks and possible limits and what the chipset driver or bios or even later updates or builds of Windows 10 could change it'll be interesting to observe how these perform in a few months.

SMT to off seem to help a bit as well depending on how the game or software (Or benchmark software.) is handling the scheduling which I will assume is fairly underwhelming overall going by some of the known issues in some of the current popular titles though it's a good start for Zen2 and the Ryzen 3000's and on the GPU side the start of RDNA and the 5700 and the 5700XT are doing better than expected as well. :)

Though with similar early launch issues and possible improvements to come with later software updates or changes like the early water cooling results and possible a driver limit to clock speeds or what seems to be something like that.

Liking what I'm reading so far but yeah will be interesting to see how user reports and maybe the reviews of any later CPU models or re-reviews of these stack up with fixes in bios and other software and all that though we'll see if it changes anything notably or if it mostly just helps smooth out performance without increasing overclock potential or performance itself unless there's something majorly broken currently which it doesn't seem like even if there are some issues that could probably be improved a bit. :)

EDIT: Hmm two more replies while I was writing this, active topic. :D

EDIT: And here's a new page too, very active topic ha ha.

16. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Be interesting to see a review of the 8 and 12 core CPUs but with SMT disabled.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Very nice CPU's! The 3600X (I know Hilbert has not reviewed this one yet but looking at specs and theses results you can draw a very accurate conclusion) is a massive value in all around performance and will be my go to suggested CPU form sub-$1000 builds. The 3900x is a HEDT CPU moonlighting on a mainstream motherboard. Definitely a budget content creators dream CPU.

Bravo AMD keep it up. Some more frequency and Intel is dead.

But for now I will stick with my 8700k @5.0Ghz. Still if this CPU or Motherboard bites the dust any time soon that 3700x or 3900x look tasty.

Steve at GN did it and in some games it help quite a bit others like AC it hurt.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Ah - cool. Been at work all day so haven't gotten round to checking out their coverage yet.

I guess Zen2+ will be a pretty great CPU considering how good these are :)

19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I swear, one of these days, AMD will get their CPU releases right! :p

But seriously, there always seems to be something amiss when they release a new CPU - whether it's BIOS incompatibilities (requiring a boot kit), Windows scheduling inefficiencies (partly Microsoft's fault but AMD should have pushed them more on it) or a BIOS that doesn't perform to spec. I realize AMD only has so many resources and were probably busy preparing for the release, but first impressions count for a lot, and it doesn't help when their brand new CPU is crippled out of the gate.

20. Neo500

Neo500 Member

GPU:
    asus rog strix 2080
    The king is dead, Long live the king !!!
    Thx for a Great review :)
    My beloved I7 4770k, it's time to replace you with a younger model. The sex was great , but boring, and btw your cooking sucks !! my feelings.. and love for you is gone… i even had some erotic fantasies about your sister.. sorry.
    Yesterday i dated this fantastic girl, and i was blown away…. what a amazing perfect woman !!! She had the most perfect body, loved to cook, clean..had a Harvard business degree.. and as she said "is being a nympho going to be a problem for you ?" :rolleyes:
    And guess what ? She didn't even ask, or showed any interest in my financial situation...:p
    When can i expect you to be out of the house ?