Review: AMD Radeon RX 5700 and 5700 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Again, you may be going above my head, but i feel like you're just talking about what it means to double a number, rather then double the space it takes. Since we're talking about GPUs, and the cost associated with it, and we were talking about doubling the GPU, for example, having an RX 5800 with 5120, which would take up to twice the space (in a perfect world), would not double the area size of a GPU. Again, i could be wrong in that, and if i'm wrong, i feel i will likely never understand the reasoning for that at all, as the idea that you can put twice as much, lets just say...sand, into a sandbox, and quadruple its size, doesn't make a bit of sense.

But to me, it sounds like you're replying to me without actually knowing what we are actually discussing, which if that's the case, i don't really know why you replied. If it's not, then i simply do not understand the point you are trying to make, but i feel i likely won't get it ever, so it's likely moot point lol

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What's so difficult?

I'm not participating in the discussion related to features and die size.

I'm only pointing out that you wrongly refer to the value "y" of an area that is literally double another value "x" of another area and then claim that y = 2x implies that the area is quadrupled, which it is not. The values x and y themselves refer to an area (which is the two-dimensional quantity) you are instead quadrupling, while the analogies you give that you think are the same case are examples of one-dimensional quantities (length, diagonal) that, of course, when doubled, quadruple the area. But the scenarios you're discussing are apples and oranges.

This is where your misunderstanding of doubling the features in a GPU quadruples the die size stems from. The area isn't getting quadrupled, it's getting doubled, but you're taking that doubled quantity and assuming it refers to one dimension, then quadrupling the area in return.

Draw it out on a piece of paper. Draw a 1cm x 1cm square. The area is 1cm^2. Now double the *area* by multiplying each dimension by sqrt(2), meaning you now have a 1.41cm x 1.41cm square whose area is now *double* at 2cm^2.

What you think is doubling is each dimension. They are not. The area itself is doubling. Each dimension is increasing by 41% only.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'm pretty sure he cocked up when he spoke about the size being quadrupled.
    Double the transistors is going to be double the area.
    I think he got caught up in the doubling of the diagonal, which quadruples the area.

On another note, these cards are amazing, considering they are Vega64 level, and much , much cheaper and power efficient.
    Competition is always good :)

4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    RX5700 costs are nearly the same as Vega 64 in my country. (12$ diff,erence) Except that Vega 64 is Nitro+ edition and not reference. As usual, they rather stop selling Vega 64 then bring the price down.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Surprisingly good. Well done AMD!

6. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    same power draw as a 570, with double the performance! thats impressive!

[​IMG]

airbud7 and Undying like this.
  7. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    has anyone measured the bolt mount spacing for these cards?

8. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    XT will be my next card :) good performance in 2560x1440, just need to see some reviews on the board partner GPU's, heat and noise on the blower WAY out of control....

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Custom 5700XT will go up to 2ghz. That will be enough to be fast as 2070S for 100$ less. :)

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    so the regular rx5700 (non xt) is faster than a 2060 super @1080p for $349....Thats a deal right there....this makes the regular rtx 2060 worth about $299....

Good stuff AMD!

11. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Actually a bit better performance than I expected, but I'll still probably wait for Sapphire 5700 XT model.

However what is disappointing are the local prices. Where I live I can see 5700 version for 430€ and 5700 XT for even 550€. Luckily at German Amazon the prices are a lot better with 5700 going for 376€ and 5700 XT for 479, there are even some in stock.

12. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Wow was not expecting 2070 Super like performance with the XT! Might seriously consider it as my first ever non-Nvidia gfx card next year when Cyberpunk comes out!

13. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    Makes me cautiously excited for the "Big Navi" with ray-tracing.

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    a 3700/x with a 5700/x would be such a great full AMD rig. For the first time in many years, AMD have a solid performer in both fields at the same time. This is great news for all of us. Finally, some competition from AMD and we will all benefit from this.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    m4dn355, SpajdrEX, Embra and 2 others like this.
  15. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    --It was supposed to be a day to celebrate--ordered an Aorus Master and a 3600x (because NewEgg sold out of the 8c/16c allotment it had while I was on the site making up my mind...;) ) I didn't really mind because my Ryzen 1 6c/12t has really served me well--the base clock of the 3600x starts at the max overclock my current Ryzen, plus the IPC differential--looking forward to it. But what follows below I posted at another site--too worn out to write another original post today, so I just cut & pasted it here, but these 19.7.1 Adrenalins gave me fits today! Not much fun, really. Read on, if you dare...and consider yourselves lucky not to have suffered something similar...!

OK, I just finished six hours of driver hell with the 19.7.1's--I haven't seen this kind of behavior out of a GPU driver in > 15 years...! Make a long story short, the 19.7.1's I installed today threw a black screen up at the first initialization point during the Adrenalin's routine install--locked up the display at that point with a constant signal to the monitor that kept the screen black. I got out of it, manually, but it was pretty severe--so when I got the desktop back I uninstalled the AMD GPU drivers in toto and thought I'd try it again from scratch, after re-downloading the drivers, and after I'd made a restore point (Win10x63 18362.1000+)--which I didn't make the first time--woulda', shoulda' coulda', you know how it goes...;) I tried again thinking that maybe the problem was interference from some older driver files. Nah--locked at the first D3d initialization, again, same place, same black screen with same constant signal hard locked (monitor did not lose sync or go to standby for hours unless I powered it off.) It was horrible--it somehow hosed my boot bcd arrangement good--I couldn't even get to safe mode! Anyway, it was like getting stuck in fly paper--the more I struggled the worse the mess got until tonight I was despairing of getting back in--nothing worked--! I could boot to my Rufus USB flash drive Win10 installations without a problem--but it was of little use since every time I tried to change my C:\ drive (L:\ when booting from RUFUS USB) the system rejected my attempts--even calling up Sys Restore manually from the X:\ Admin prompt did nothing--because of course it was booting from the wrong drive...;) Arrrgh! Finally I popped in my Macrum Reflect Rescue DVD and thought to have to go ahead and simply restore my backup--and lo and behold I noticed a little blurb in the MR UI that said "Want your boot-drive problems fixed?" Yeah!--and selected for that and the MR fixed them at least well enough that I could get into safe mode again and then apply my Sys Restore file. So that was my Marathon in Hell on the day that I ordered my Ryzen 3K series CPU and my Aorus Master... It's been many moons since I've seen a GPU driver this bad out of AMD--in fact, I can think of only one other similar incident since 2002, so this is definitely unusual for AMD. You know, my experience was so bad and weird that I could believe it if I heard that some disgruntled (or bribed!) employee at AMD decided to spread a little havoc and rain on AMD's parade 5700 today...OK, 'nuff said--I'm sticking with the 19.6.3's until I hear differently!

SpajdrEX and airbud7 like this.

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    What he means is that the area is in units^2 (as area = unit*unit), so if you double the number of transistors you"ll get double the area, but the side of that GPU will only increase by sqrt(2).

yasamoka likes this.
  17. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Hilbert said it basically how I said it. It’s a good product with good performance, but the price is just too high at this point with what Nvidia has on offer.

18. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Radeon RX 5700 XT with an EKWB RX 5700 easily overclocked to 2.1 GHz [Max MSI AB limit]
    AMD wird geflutet: Radeon RX 5700 XT mit einem EKWB RX 5700 unter Wasser problemlos auf 2,1 GHz übertaktet | igorsLAB Review – Seite 2 – igor´sLAB

[​IMG] www.tomshw.de
    [​IMG]
    EK-Vector Blocks Engineered for AMD Navi GPUs - ekwb.com
    EK® Water Blocks, the leading premium computer liquid cooling gear manufacturer, is releasing two EK-Vector Radeon™ RX 5700 +XT water blocks that are compatible with reference design AMD® Radeon™ RX 5700 and 5700 XT graphics cards. This efficient and elegant-looking cooling will allow your...
    [​IMG] www.ekwb.com

Halfmead and Cave Waverider like this.
  19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I don't know really 2070 super isn't that far ahead more like equal and costs quite a bit more. And 2060 super isn't ahead of 5700 almost at all. So no I don't understand how the price is too high. Unless the argument is ray tracing which can make some sense.

m4dn355 likes this.
  20. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Looks like the XT might have some nice overclocking potential when cooled properly.