AMD Ryzen 7 3700X & Ryzen 9 3900X review with benchmarks leaks out

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I was going to say how on Earth is the 8700K and the 8086K ahead of the 9700K in Handbrake, until I realized that the 9700K lacks HT! The 3900x just decimates the competition though, making the top Intel and Threadripper CPUs practically obsolete!

The gaming benchmarks seem to be what I would have predicted. I would have expected Intel to maintain their lead in certain games that are more memory latency intensive and have less parallelism ie Far Cry 5, while Zen 2 would be faster in games that are more parallel and cache sensitive like AC Origins.

Actually, you can put that one down for a milestone for AMD. This is the first time that AMD has EVER beaten Intel in an Assassin's Creed game benchmark. The most recent AC games like AC Origins and AC Odyssey are all very CPU intensive, and Intel has always had a significant lead over AMD in those titles.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  2. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    There isn't and can't be a perfect benchmark. Gaming results will change with each game, and even with updates to the game. And with the GPU, and its driver, and the resolution etc. etc. Arguing about those benches is as pointless as it is endless.

Much more stable indicators of raw performance are the Cinebench 1T and multi-T scores, although those are still affected by memory speed, cooling, etc. They also change with Cinebench instruction mix and weighting, but that's an evolutionary process.

In those "best available" metrics, the Ryzen 3700 & 3900 are now within ~2% of the 9900K and better than the 9980XE. Hugely better in thread scaling, for some reason. And a significantly better value in every other way (power, compatibility etc).

That's reality. Every day more apps including games will reflect it. If you want the best hardware, buy Ryzen. If you care only about the absolute highest 1080p FPS in Final Fantasy today, go ahead and reward Intel for what they've done to you for 10 years. If you have the extra cash for that, of course

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  3. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    Ready to buy a juicy 3900X! Can't wait for the reviews and by that I mean Digital Foundry review anything else is trash

angelgraves13 likes this.
  4. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    On the whole, these early results look decent to me and I'm sure the numbers will improve in the coming weeks and months as firmware updates come through. Hopefully the price-points mean that people find them worth investing in.

I've spent much of my life throwing heaps into the latest and greatest hardware, *SPAM* back to the old 3dfx Voodoo 1, Dual 12MB Voodoo 2's (which cost me £500 back then) - and beyond, then the Matrox G400 series graphics cards (with bump mapping technology), and many processor and video card upgrades since then. These days I'm running a ThreadRipper 2950X (which still costs almost twice the 9900K) on an Asus ROG Zenith Extreme motherboard with 64GB Ram, an RTX 2080OC and $1000AU of hard-line liquid cooling kit. I don't need all that, and the damn thing isn't even overclocked - but I had fun building it.

After 40 years of gaming, those extra frames or IPC just don't matter to me any more despite planning for the 2950X successor when it comes out - and even then I don't particularly care how it performs relative to the competition. Games currently look great on my ROG Swift PG348Q monitor at 3440x1440 and, for the most part, wringing out and more performance isn't really going to change my experience that much - outside of bragging rights.

The protracted point here is that for most people, the 10% extra FPS you might get from the 9900K aren't going to make you any better a game player, and probably not radically alter your experience so buy what you like / can afford.

5. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    But.....thats not how it works.

People must first pledge allegiance to a particular brand, and then start mud flinging on anyone who says a single thing against that brand, even if it's fact.

Please take your "fun" elsewhere, this is the internet, no place for fun.

Just look at this thread, half of it is just arguing over a few percentage difference, I mean, in case you didn't know, people sit and count frames and benchmark points and then go ape sh!t and then the poo flinging commences

/Joke!

Aura89 likes this.
  6. Guru3dreader

Guru3dreader Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Aura89 and BReal85 like this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @beedoo your post gave me confirmation that people who reason and apply logic exists, but can have fun with their hobby.
    buy what you like / can afford
    The simplest way of buying hardware.

Aura89 likes this.
  8. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Yeah, that's why it beats Intel in AC. :D Troll.

Have you realized that AMD CPUs are being sold about 2/3-1/3 or more compared to Intel? It's a shame how pathetic some blue-eyed guys are. Don't you realize that you are considered a clown here?

Aura89 likes this.
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Good job finding comparison to 1st generation Zen (1700X). Now, try to finally get to topic at hand... Zen2 !!!
    = = = =
    To topic. I am constantly checking my board's details for final or at least good BIOS update.
    ASRock X470 Taichi it is. And while they removed newest BIOS and left only 3.40 there, their CPU support list 3600X/3700X/3800X. But there is no 3900X/3950X in there.
    That's rather unpleasant. I hope that CPUs have record in given BIOSes, because there is no power delivery issue with given board that would prevent those chips from working.
    I had no problem to pull 220W with 2700X in OC tests w/o temperature being high on VRMs or any other hint of issues.

Then those missing chips have 105W TDP anyway, upon unlocking, they'll eat maybe same 140W max as 2700X since that's controlled by BIOS limits or overridden by RM.

Aura89 likes this.
  10. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    You're right but on the other hand what do you expect when even authors here shows the same fanboism with some "jokes"...of course that everybody jumps in one boat or another and write their "jokes" following his example: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/i...prices-by-15-to-fight-off-amd-ryzen-3000.html

Something like this:
    seems like the work of some participant here and not an independent reviewer...

11. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Another controlled leak just before release, how convenient.
    This is as unintentional as Intel's internal memo leak. :D

This whole embargo on reviews to release date is just retarded.
    I mean, some wait time is ok to give every review site a fair amount of time to prepare their article,
    but waiting three to six weeks if procreating retarded.

Anyway, I will wait for reviews from respected blogs, not some random website from the net.

12. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Low resolution is used to show how effective IPC and new architecture are in games.
    At higher resolution you are bounded by GPU and it is harder to measure the difference.

Skylike i7 6xxx is not even on the gaming charts. :D

13. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Hmmm. Indeed, and now, exactly as I expected from you. We don't need to look look back too far to see a glaring and destructive pattern with you replies. It's quite revealing. Behaviour like this tends to belong to a rather low age group - shall we say, kindergarten, and has no place in a reputable site like this. Oh yes, of course the jury's still out regarding shill work. Now for some woodwork treatment, shill's don't work alone ;)

14. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    All the negativity makes me feel AMD is right on the money with this release. Cannot wait for 3900x, though may have to stretch to get the 3950x...so many cores...!!!

carnivore, Aura89 and Mesab67 like this.
  15. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock

But 3900X Is not even in the X570 Taichi, so I don't think this will be a problem.
    https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Taichi/#CPU

Personally, I've just bought ASRock B450 ITX. I have ITX case and I need TOSLINK. So this is my best option below 140€. (I'll pair it with 3700X though).

Question: If this motherboard arrives with BIOS v3.10 (2019/3/29 - Agesa 0.0.7.2) should I be able to boot 3700X for a BIOS update? Or I should better borrow one old open box ryzen from Amazon Warehouse just for the bios upgrade?

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lower resolution results are faked if you report them in FPS instead of frame time, you cannot measure the IPC with FPS.
    Having 40 FPS vs 50 FPS is not the same as 120 FPS vs 130 FPS, it's more than 5 times slower (5 ms deviation vs ~0.7 ms deviation, both 10 FPS difference).
    If you really want results in FPS (which is the wrong measurement unit) than use at least a benchmark configuration where a sensible FPS difference really matters.

ComboPI 0.0.7.x should support Ryzen 3000 processors. Most of OEM and MB are moving now to ComboPI 1.0.0.2 and beyond...

thesebastian likes this.
  17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    But but but .... I have blue eyes :( am i a clown :'( ?

Aura89 and BReal85 like this.
  18. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    I expected better games results, its nice for work.. but its not again gaming CPU.. what was last best AMD gaming cpu - Athlon 64?

19. neikosr0x

neikosr0x Active Member

GPU:
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333mhz
    Testing game at 720p is misleading as fack, I mean as far as we know. We can't say for sure that the CPU pipeline wouldn't just restring it self from pushing max frequency when is not really been pushed that hard on CPU like it is playing at 720p, Yes the borderline would be the CPU instead of the GPU but still i dont think that is an indicator of IPC or that the CPU is utilizing full power for task that doesn't require that. CPUs have algorithms to understand how these task should be handled, that might be one of the reasons way. If you see at the CB benchmark result the 3900x Single Core performance is on pair with the 9900k. Probably the fact that they tested with 3200mhz and who knows what latency were they running at.

20. neikosr0x

neikosr0x Active Member

GPU:
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333mhz
    i suppose you are kidding hahahahaha. Your old 5930 has no chance vs a 3900x sorry. Please don't be a troll. And it is not a secret that AMD was close to Bankruptcy it is not new and nobody cares? who else would care about it if not the CEO and the stock. We are all potential customers not some stock holders.

Aura89 likes this.