How to improve my frametimes?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Dener de Paula Pereira, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Dener de Paula Pereira

Dener de Paula Pereira Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    There's any way to have a better frametime?
    I'm using windows 1903
    I7 3770
    16gb ram
    GTX 970 G1 OC
    Ssd 480gb

2. beta-sama

beta-sama Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS GTX1080Ti WF
    Upgrade the cpu and memory.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Do you mean more FPS, or better frame pacing?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Do not crank up resolution and settings in games.

sverek likes this.

5. Dener de Paula Pereira

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Better pacing

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    RealNC will say his words, I can recommend to decrease the amount of processes (services, tasks) executed in the system - the lower CPU usage by all these processes the more consistent CPU time for the game.
    Plus, disable unneeded devices and explore the quality of device drivers.
    Plus, try MSI mode - it should improve device interrupts a bit.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You can use the RTSS frame limiter to try and smooth out the frame pacing. This works with many games and you can get a flat frame time graph. If you are playing with vsync enabled, then you can follow this guide:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-truth-about-pre-rendering-0.365860/page-12#post-5380262

If you are instead using a g-sync monitor, then you don't need the above guide. All you need to do is cap your game's FPS to something reasonable that your game can sustain most of the time. If the in-game limiter still has bad frame pacing, then use RTSS to cap.

Battle(non)sense did a video on how to get solid frame pacing with g-sync displays.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  8. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @ShadowDuke

A secret knowledge?

Update: I see a notification of your quote. Changed your mind?

10. Dener de Paula Pereira

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

I'm using RTSS but still i have some frametime fluctuations :(
    There's any tweakable setting in Nvidia Inspector to deal with this?

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Faster memory with tighter timings among the many options already mentioned.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @Dener de Paula Pereira

Yeah. Faster CPU and faster memory will help with frame times. Otherwise, you will have to lower your FPS cap, or lower your graphics settings so that the game can always reach the cap. And also make sure your Windows power settings is set to "Performance".

13. Dener de Paula Pereira

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Turn off services / backgroud programs help? i only have Msi Afterburner, Malwarebytes and RTSS running in the background
    The "LTSC" version of 1903 have better frametimes?

14. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Yeah, I updated my motherboard firmware a few weeks ago and was surprised to see a notable fps drop in a game I played (consistent ~5%) and I narrowed it down to "PCI-E power saving" being enabled in Windows Power Settings and I forgot to disable the Native ASPM option in the motherboard Setup (after the update did a reset). Either of those restored the performance. I was a little surprised, I didn't think it can have such a huge impact (not just something negligible in some corner cases like synthetic benchmarks).

SpeedShift (native hardware CPU frequency scaling) doesn't seem to hurt though (nor I remember if I ever observed the old software based SpeedStep reducing the fps or making the frametime graph more volatile in any games or benchmarks).

15. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    That's why you should play on High Performance while gaming. I always switch to "Balanced" after gaming to save energy.

-Tj- likes this.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Me too since forever:)

17. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Not really. I prefer to disable the ASPM in the motherboard setup anyways. Alternatively I can disable it in the detailed settings of the power plan.
    As I just wrote earlier, there seems to be no meaningful difference from leaving SpeedShift (or even SpeedStep) enabled. So why disable it...? (This thing has a much bigger effect on power and heath than ASPM but less [~0] effect on performance, so...)

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Really? I use ultimate power plan all day long. :D

endbase likes this.
  19. shm0

shm0 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT
    A bit off topic maybe...
    But reading about power saving.
    I actually realized after all those years that on my AMD FX 8 Core Processor one core per package is always active regardless how CPU core parking is configured. That renders c6 state useless because to make c6 state work, all CPU cores per package needs to be parked. (2 CPU cores per package (4))
    The option to enable parking of all CPU cores is hidden in the power saving options dialog and needs to be unhidden with the powercfg tool.
    For example when I watch videos only one core is active now instead of four. Sometimes one other core gets active for a short period of time even when the other core is only 40% used.
    I tried changing different settings to make the other cores only become active when the load on active cores is around 80%.
    But I can't make it work like that. Someone knows how to tweak the settings?
    Switching to high power saving plan doesn't change that much.
    But it's still an improvement to power saving.

Also windows tends to activate one core per package first. I think it has to do with the bulldozer hotfixes to improve performance.
    I only have one of the hotfixes installed. The other one disables core parking.
    So I skipped that one.

There is also another option called CPU Throttling States and can be set to either On or Off. It defaults to Off. I'm not sure what this setting actually does and I can't find any info on this setting. Maybe it has something to do with c1e state?

If you want to save more power maybe you want to look into it?

//edit
    This is on Win7.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Undying likes this.
  20. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Odd, I've been on Balanced since forever and never encountered these problems... My frametimes is a solid line in Afterburner. 6.3 or 6.9.