Win 10 settings?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Pigchild, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Is there any way I can tweak Windows 10 to appear and function like Win 7 64 bit? I hate how Windows 10 with all it’s useless functions as well as how it’s laid out.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Install a 3rd party start menu like startisback
    Run wpd.app to remove all the crApps and enable all the privacy settings

Pretty much it tbh

Babel-17 and mbk1969 like this.
  3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Long time user of Stardock's Start10. License covers 5 PCs, it's cheap (I paid under $4 with a coupon), and gets updated with OS version updates. So no worries if a future OS revision breaks something with the free apps.

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I use Startisback++ for start menu. TranslucentTB for taskbar and Winaero Tweaker for some minor stuff(this one had loads of options I haven't even looked at).

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Start10 also includes translucency options, and even to load textures/backgrounds for the taskbar. :) You can also customize the Start logo.

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yeah pretty sure I tried both, but it's been so long since I set it up I don't remember why I went with one over the other.

7. ThermaL1102

ThermaL1102 Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 OC
    yeah , don't install those ''dock'' programs , all mallware embedded
    all you need is ''translucent taskbar'' and a nice picture on your desktop , the picture is totally visible through the taskbar
    and your icons just hover above the picture , no more UGLY taskbar , makes it feel like a different windows in 2 sec , and it starts with windows , just have to set it once
    all those programs with all that taskbar fiddling isn't good for your system , believe me , i've had them all and tested which ones had mallware , all junk that slows down your pc

8. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    No person would really notice though

9. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    Not that much different to Win7 except the 10 menus look like cheapest 2D c*p
    Winaero Tweaker is a must .. some very nice 7 like features to add to 10's right-click menu and more.
    https://imgur.com/m5swNXp

10. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I guess you don't like supporting the coders who put the effort into these things. Too bad. :(

12. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    One question on my utilization of the suggestions above... My reason for asking is because 2 months ago I started a new career and was issued a new Win 10 work laptop that runs through my company’s VPN. Will any of the above suggestions create an issue on this company laptop considering it has endless amounts of pre-loaded network security walls loaded? (I’m so frustrated having to use Windows 10 for work.) I hate 10 for what I do at work. I feel like I’m forced to use an op system designed for tablet or smart phone rather than the great business functionality I had with Win 7. All this Win 10 Cloud junk, apps, and worst of all 10 makes me hunt for things I save in my Documents which tends to never save in my Documents. 10 is like trying to think for me and I don’t like systems thinking for me. I have a Cloud... It’s called my 2 Tb external hard drive. Useless Cloud garbage. Microsoft could have easily updated Win 7 to function just fine with all the latest Gen hardware, but greed rules and they push 10 for reasons no company or personal user ever needed.

13. Montville

Montville Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 7900XT
    The situation should not impact on you IF:

1) Internet speed is great (important for cloud)
    2) VPN is reliable and fast (no congestion)
    3) Your laptop is fast (read SSD drive, good CPU, Ram)

otherwise contact your IT department

14. epguy19

epguy19 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Xpress 200 - 128Mb
    oh well that's spajdrik's choice to use a freeware alternative to Start10 like OpenShell, which I find very useful (and sometimes better) on my Win8x & Win10 machines.

maybe even use Defender Control to disable Windows Defender in Win10 - Win10 w/ defender disabled will run nearly as fast as Win7 though it'll be less secure