Netflix shows first official photos of characters from the TV series The Witcher

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Too bad they dont look like the characters that were in the game. also only 1 sword for geralt ?

3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Should be rather interesting. Great photos, Can't wait for trailer. Thanks alot.

4. Aniboom

Aniboom Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 6950 XT
    I know, I would've loved the game's interpretation as well but they stated that they are going for the books; for example, in Sword of Destiny, Geralt usually carries the steel sword on his back and the silver one in the horse's saddlebags.

5. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    +1
    Same goes for the medallion which is as described in the books

6. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Well, we'll se how it goes. It really depends how well the series is going to be written. Making a fancy costume is easy, nowadays (when the budget isn't an issue, ofc.).

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Tooooooo much baggage with those actors, I got images in my mind of Henry screaming 'Nooooooo!' after murdering Zod.

Good lord...I even saw that with extra big leather seats and premium tickets, with free popcorn....boy did it suck.

emperorsfist likes this.
  8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I feel like the game has a much larger following than the books but I honestly do not know. Are they reaching for the wrong audience? I plan to check it out nonetheless.

9. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    I don't think it matters as it is pretty much the same audience. Granted most gamers who played the game probably never read the books but the story, characters, lore, almost everything is pretty much the same so they can't go wrong.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Character for Geralt is OK, except sword arrangement. Yennefer's character is too soft for what she is in books. (Even while she did not hold and candle to Philippa Eilhart in coldblooded ruthlessness.)
    And I downright dislike this Cirilla. I hope that actress has some real talent at moves, because dancing alone will not cut it.
    Character was not lost, but haunted. Not weak, but always facing brutally bad odds and death.
    Game has same characters (but tiny subset) who behave differently.

Honestly, closely reenacting books in GoT style of critical realism could result in best ever series which GoT failed to be as it did not have final chapter that could be followed.

Because Sapkowski wrote books that are more brutal than Game of Thrones. Back in the day, people were comparing Saga to LotR for lack of anything close. But Tolkien wrote books for children. While pretty complex, they were really for children in comparison to Sapkowski's work which is unsuitable for children and those who read them often argue that content is not suitable for even teenagers.

Therefore translating Witcher to TV screen requires either critical realism or softening, bending and breaking characters.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I really hope it turns out good. So far I like everything I've seen.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I can only say I've only played the games, but none of this actresses and actor cast does say "Witcher" for me personally...
    Geralt's the best and even with the casted Actor, he does not look too much like I'd had hoped for. Yennifer could have used a more "character" face, as in, less friendly (and less generic, sorry...) look, and Ciri doesn't even look like I'd have recognised her tbh.

We shall see.

13. entr0cks

entr0cks Member Guru

GPU:
    GV-N660OC-2GD
    Oh (books), thought it would be some sort of prequel included one - where he isn't a witcher in the beginning of the movie.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's what you can see in already existing, old and not so good Polish TV series. (Story moved bit slow, and often was too trivial.)

15. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    I was looking forward to this, but it's not looking good. I mean he doesn't have witcher eyes and wtf is with the 1, just ONE! Sword!!! Nein Nein Nein!

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Looks like crap. They are all miss casted.

17. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Wrong. The Hobbit was written for Children. Not his other works, namely Lord of The Rings. Your statement to the contrary proves that you know very little of the subject. You just made yourself look a little bit silly. However, I do understand what you meant. Witcher is clearly more brutal and explicit in nature, but that's not the same as saying "it's for grown ups, Tolkien is for kids" which what you just said amounts to.

torsoreaper likes this.
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    All Tolkien's books are softcore. You may not feel like that, but they are softcore for fantasy books.
    Same way as King's "Horrors" are softcore in comparison to likes of Clive Barker.

It is similar to comparing contemporary authors to Emile Zola who wrote about similar things, but were not Naturalists.

19. k3lt

k3lt Active Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1060 6GB
    That's Yennefer and? Merigold? Didn't she have reddish hair? She looks too old for Cirri and no scar.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Just wanting to add:

I'm almost certain fans of the books won't be happy with the series adaption with a chance of 90%+, like usually when you take a big book and put it to film.
    But if they also fail to convince the fans of the games...