MSI 7B79vAA BIOS

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Saabjock, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Anybody here experiencing longer than normal boot-up time with the new 7B79vAA BIOS for the X470 Gaming Plus motherboard?
    I installed it in anticipation of the Zen 2 processor release and it has caused my start-up to slow to a crawl.
    Now...on turning the power on, I get no MSI splash screen...just scripting from the F/W of an internal hard drive controller card followed by a CPU status notification (ACHI) in this case.
    I'll then get a blank screen which hangs for quite some time, until Windows finally boots to the sign in screen.
    This started happening immediately after the BIOS update...which completed successfully.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Didi you reset to defaults? Did you check manual startup delay which is in BOOT menu? Did you check boot device?

3. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  4. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I have MSI X470 Gaming Plus on New BIOS 7B79vAA.
    BIOS boot times are fine and the only thing I notice which was out of place even after reinstalling AMD Chipset/Realtek audio/Dobly Atmos/GPU drivers is that copy and paste from web to forum actually is taking almost a second now.
    Missing from this BIOS is working overclock profiles which I found strange but I like the new layout of BIOS.It is a keeper for me.

I filmed BIOS booting from cold start with a couple monitors and some SSD drives and normal other crap on computer.So I get cursor in middle of screen,then MSI splash screen and boot to desktop.

I would say booting is faster with this BIOS than previous BIOS around 20 seconds from cold boot.

I suggest re-flash your BIOS and try again.Re-check your BIOS settings.If you want I can take pictures of my BIOS.

Saabjock likes this.

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Thanks....
    I will re-flash and if that still doesn't solve the issue, I'll remove the internal hard drive controller to se if that influences boot times.
    I've gone from my original BIOS 7B79vA5 (11/19/2018) through every released update to this current one.
    None have slowed the boot time except this one.
    Performed doesn't seem to be affected once the system is fully booted...it just take a long time to get there.

6. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Sadly, I can no longer get to the BIOS file to re-flash the system.
    Every attempt to get to that BIOS file...regardless of what USB drive I attempt to use, is met with...FS0: <null string>
    FS2: <null string> etc....
    I timed the start-up earlier today...
    It took 35 seconds from the time I pushed the power button, until the firmware scripting notification for my Marvell internal hard drive controller card disappeared off screen.
    It was another 45 seconds until the MSI BIOS information showed up on screen.
    That then goes dark and it took another 75 seconds until the Windows log-in screen became available.
    The computer normally boots in approximately 18 seconds from power-on until the Windows login screen.
    I went as far as removing that Marvell card to see if it influenced anything...it didn't.
    The BIOS was reset to 'Load Defaults' on the first restart after flashing.
    The BIOS information is showing as correct with 7B79vAA listed and I can manipulate all settings once in there.
    The computer is stable once running...just as it always has. M-flash does the reboot and enter the mode, but it just cannot see the BIOS file.

7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Man you sure have some problems with the motherboard and forums lol.Some things are just weird I guess and everyone does not know everything .So good that you come to these forums for help.

OK null string first only have one monitor plugged in.
    Plug the USB directly into the motherboard and not the case.
    Make sure the actual BIOS file is on said USB,had to say it.
    Boom should be good to go.

8. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    I have only one monitor plugged in...but I suppose the VR headset could possibly count as a second, so I'll unplug that.
    I always plug the USB thumb drive directly into the motherboard's USB 2.0 port during any flashing procedure...not the 3.0 or 3.1 or any front ports.
    I actually have a 5 TB backup drive which is where most of my AMD or MSI files reside.
    The board's original BIOS was dated 06/28/2018 and since that time, has been updated successfully with every new release... with only one stability issue to date.
    That BIOS was rolled back, which restored full stability.
    The flashing is actually a fairly straight-forward process.
    On each occasion, the updates has worked as it should.
    This BIOS is a fairly radical departure...even the interface is different.
    That said...it completed the flash without error, so that is why it is such a mystery on the long boot up.
    None of the others did that...not even the unstable one.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  9. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well I guess I can not add to much more.
    BIOS does work fine for me,maybe it is time and start unplugging things or roll back if you can get USB to read BIOS.

10. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    *Problem sorted*
    This evening I worked with an MSI tech rep. and we were able to roll the BIOS back to 7B79AMS.A90.
    The long start-up is now a thing of the past.
    We went through and reviewed every single setting and he could not find anything wrong with any of them.
    As far as clearing the 'null' message, he simply suggested I select 'Enter' on the keyboard instead of mouse-clicking.
    When I used the mouse to select the null message, it would simply say no BIOS file found and would only give the option to exit M-Flash and reboot.
    He thinks it was just a compatibility issue in my case....maybe another piece of installed hardware...suggested waiting for the next BIOS.
    I'm good with that option.
    Thanks all.

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL glad you got it to read finally but I see your still having problems on the MSI user site.Well at least they are there to help out.

Saabjock likes this.
  12. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Not sure what is the story with that site.
    Somebody said it was not moderated by MSI....which to me is weird, since it is accessed by typing their url.
    Oh well!

13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Yeah it is just a user forum of people dedicated to help out people with MSI Products.There are MSI employees on there but not officially supported by MSI.
    So you buying a Ryzen 3xxx with all the BIOS updates,me I just like messing with the updates.

Saabjock likes this.
  14. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    I use my computer mostly for simracing (Assetto Corsa, Rfactor2, RRE, AMS) but I'm 'toying' with the idea of the 3xxx Ryzen...probably the 3600 or 3700.
    I currently have the 2600X and to be honest, it is really fast and more important...smooth.
    That said...you can never have too much performance, so if the single thread work-load is even 12-15% over, I'll commit to one.
    The cost is not bad at all for those two.