Gigabyte mainboard debug code 48, what is this?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by FuriousAngel, Jun 30, 2019.

1. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    So I own an GA-AX370-Gaming K7 mainboard and right now it feels like this brand was my biggest mistake ever, but not going now into how unstable their BIOSes are. Worst case scenario, it's not even 2 years old and it's refusing to start up right now. I only get an error code 48 on the mainboard display, which doesn't appear in the manual. Already tried switching to secondary BIOS, doing a CMOS clear, removing the battery, removing all but one memory stick (and trying different ones just in case).

Has anyone encountered this error 48 before and has some clue about what to do? More information can be provided if neccesary. Thank you!

2. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    Found this on the net:
    POST Code 48 is related to Video / CMOS configuration. The fix: reset the CMOS on the new board.

3. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    Thank you! As I had posted, tried that already, didn't help :(

4. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    Did you unplug the power to the PSU?
    And, sometimes, it might be good to just leave it like that for a few hours, while you have the "clr_cmos" shorted, without any powercord in the psu from your wall.
    And you must check also so you didnt forget removing the cap from the pins....the computer gets very strange when having a circuit shorted when it tries to come back on.
    And, I am trying to help, so pls just read:
    Several of my old computers have been doing that, and I had to dissassemble them, I mean take out the gfxcard, all memorysticks, unplug every cable, and start again, by plugging in the power to the motherboard (inside the case), and re-seat the memorysticks, put in the gfx card again, but no disks!, put in the wall-outlet cable again, and just see if I could get into bios, it worked 9 out of 10 times.

airbud7 likes this.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    yea^....sometimes you just take the whole computer apart and put it back together and the damn thing works.....sometimes you never really know what the problem was...???

386SX and patteSatan like this.
  6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Save leaving unplugged for hours, take bios battery out, hold power button down when unplugged.

7. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    The F40 BIOS update says:

Note:
    1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40.
    2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.
    3. Due to BIOS ROM size limited, NO Bristol Ridge (AMD 7th Gen A-series/ Athlon™ X4 series) APU support.
    ------------------------------------------------

Most BIOS update ASKS FOR UPDATING AMD CHIPSET DRIVER BEFORE FLASHING BIOS

8. lordwerther

lordwerther Guest

GPU:
    aorus 1080 ti
    Hi,
    Have you found a solution to post code 48??? I'm having the same problem with the aorus x470 gaming 7 gigabyte motherboard. One day was ok the next was stuck on post code 48. The motherboard has dual bios with a switch to turn between main bios and the backup but the back has the same issue.

I already tried all solutions posted everywhere to no avail.

Does anyone know a solution to this besides RMA????

9. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    I didn't get it to work, tried to request support from Gigabyte, they told me they are not responsible and couldn't help me (amazing answer, if you ask me): I eventually was able to negotiate a solution with Amazon and they gave me my money back. Obviously, after such amazing support, Gigabyte is blacklisted for me.

Samson McNulty likes this.
  10. Samson McNulty

Samson McNulty Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080ti ftw3
    I'm having the exact same issues listed here but I purchased mine and rma'd it a year or two ago. Now I'm having the exact same issue and I refuse to pay shipping to send it off (already replaced the entire rig in any case). How were you able to get your money back from amazon? That seems like it's going to be my only recourse at this point.

11. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    I talked to them on the phone and explained that Gigabyte told me to contact them, and they offered me several ways of handling the issue, one of them was sending it in for repairs. I explained them that was no option as waiting for a repair could take weeks and weeks without a computer is a no go. So they eventually offered me a full refund and I ordered a new mainboard. I had to pay most of the shipping, they only paid part of it. Better than nothing though.

12. Meowmers

Meowmers New Member

GPU:
    RADEON 6950XT
    airbud7 likes this.