Raspberry Pi 4 set to drive low-cost digital transformation

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Raspberry have the cables on their site for sale.
    They developed the Pi4 and then saw there was no real cable, so had that done too, and the USB-C power supply as well.
    I bought the official power supply, but have not got the cables yet.

It will take a couple of weeks for the devs to get their heads around the new pi4, it was a bit of a bloody surprise ;)
    There is also quite a lot of functionality that will not be available for a few weeks/months, until fully functional firmwares are done.

Frankly, Pi4 is a huge leap forward.
    CPU's going from In-Order to Out of Order, triple issue, much more RAM....the new VideoCore VI GPU.
    Even the first few benches won't be indicative of what it will be like when its fully functional.

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    If you give them a Pi and some basic knowledge (send them to look at the Raspberry foundation page, there is educational info there, and how to use it in classes) it might be used.
    Knowledge is power :)

If he/she doesn't want it or is not interested, sure, gift it (to the teacher, lol.).

3. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I have a feeling retro pie will be able to emulate even stronger systems! I really need to make a retropie soon!

4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Waiting for a revision: too much CPU throttling and too much heat.. However the GPU side is still a delusion (at least for me)...

5. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Active Member

GPU:
    p1000@1810mhz
    after initial hype...
    cpu lack crypto extension...
    32bit memory bus ddr4 less than 10g/s of shared total bandwidth...
    excessive overheating...
    the GPU has improved but still remains too weak in terms of gflops...
    opencl accelleration and astc compression?

for the moment nvidia jetson nano still remains the best choice

6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Jetson nano is a lot more expensive.. But yes, I had the opportunity to look at some Nvidia Jetson at uni, and they are nice hardware pieces, I will really consider to buy one when they will made a revision based on Turing uArch..

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Dude. 35 bucks. Thirty-five.

8. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Active Member

GPU:
    p1000@1810mhz
    55 vs 99 bucks for 4gb version...

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That's almost double the price.

10. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    I'm not so sure about "excessive overheating". Yes it does get hot, but so did the previous versions.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It's definitely getting pretty close to maybe emulating some PS2 games. I'm not sure it's quite good enough for Gamecube.

At least for the Pi3, the worst-case scenario is about 6W total of power. That includes USB peripherals and storage. If you really find yourself getting thermal issues. I'm sure you could just have a fan lightly blowing at the PCB and that ought to be enough to keep it cool.

Also keep in mind that unlike x86 or GPUs, ARM has a tendency to stay within a pretty strict power envelope. The primary interest of those CPUs is power efficiency, so whenever their overall performances goes up, the wattage typically doesn't. So, I think it's safe to assume the Pi4 will remain a sub-6W part.

You'd be an idiot if you expect a Pi4 to handle data important enough to warrant hardware-accelerated encryption. I assure you, the vast majority of people don't care about this.
    Um... no? It's 64 bit... And why exactly do you need more memory bandwidth on such a device? The architecture is a RISC and the clock speeds are pretty low. The bandwidth is most likely sufficient.
    Based on what evidence? To my knowledge, there's not even leaked test results of how this thing performs. Also, note that it comes with no cooling solution of any kind. Not even a passive heatsink.
    You are seriously spoiled if you think any of that actually matters on a part this cheap with a wattage this low. What exactly are you expecting to play on this? You do know this isn't binary compatible with x86 games, right?
    Best by your definition. You don't represent everyone. At least when looking at the Pi3, the JN's idle power draw is higher than the Pi3 under full load. The JN is physically much larger. It costs twice as much. The CPU is a Cortex A57, which is overall worse than the Pi4's A72.
    I'm not saying the JN is a bad platform because it's not; it's great. But you seem to be trying to diminish the Pi4 far more than it deserves.

Keitosha and SpajdrEX like this.
  12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    if we get ps2 also .. i am so making a retropie !

13. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    Actually Toms Hardware has already benchmarked it, including heat.
    Link: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raspberry-pi-4-b,6193.html (if I'm allowed to post, otherwise please remove...)

Keitosha and schmidtbag like this.
  14. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Active Member

GPU:
    p1000@1810mhz
    you really are a donkey!!!
    you wrote a lot of junkies!!!

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well... thanks for at least bringing to everyone's attention your level of intelligence...

Keitosha likes this.

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    The Pi4 Firmware isn't finished yet.
    it was due to be released in 2020 (prob March), but the hardware development went rather too well, so they released it early.
    They didn't have to do any where near as many silicon revisions/respins as for the Pi3's.
    There are quite a few things to add to the firmware, some of the GPU and CPU functionality, as I understand it.

This is for early adopters, and so that the Software devs can get their stuff up to date with the new hardware, so when the firmware is finally ready, all the software will be also.

If you want high memory bandwidth, lots of crypto extensions, a fast GPU and openCL and ASTC, then you'll have to look elsewhere, that's not the point of the Pi line.

17. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Active Member

GPU:
    p1000@1810mhz
    let's see how the situation will evolve..
    allwinner's h6 chip already has crypto extensions the gpu mali already supports opengl es 3.2 with astc etc ..
    yes I know that cpu a72 is twice as fast as a53 ...
    however tegra x1 of jn is much better.

18. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    The Pi4 actually has Crypto functionality, but I think it's not known yet if it's licensed/enabled/available in kernel yet. Not fully sure though.

19. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Active Member

GPU:
    p1000@1810mhz
    on all the slides I have found so far
    we read opengl es 3.0 for the gpu and astc support starts from opengl.es 3.2.
    another very interesting thing about the nano is that the distro lt4 linux jetpack 4.2 supports 64bit opengl 4.6 vulkan cuda tensorflow and many other interesting libraries.