i made this video for youtube how to record games and see stats

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by 4_R_3, Jun 25, 2019.

1. 4_R_3

4_R_3 Guest

ill post the written instructions and video below in case it can help anybody who wants to know how to use MSI Afterburner to do the record and see the stats in the game.

here is how i both record the game and see the hw statistics during the game using MSI afterburner

geforce experience in-game overlay has to be turned off, or the game might crash or have a black screen. the xbox overlay might mess it up too idk since i always have it off so if its giving you grief when you start the game using the settings below turn it off, or whatever overlay is running, amd might have their own name for it.

- MSI afterburner settings

- monitoring
    - check gpu temperature, check show on-screen display, check both (override graph name, override group name) set name, click apply
    - do the same thing for these values;
    gpu usage, memory usage (its for videocard ram), cpu usage, ram usage (its for pc ram), framerate, some people like to see the "fps 1%", "fps 0.1%"

on screen display tab (to either show or hide the statistics), toggle on screen display set it to ctrl + F7

benchmark tab (if you click the avg, 1%, 0,1%, in the monitoring tab you need to turn this on to see those in the statistics),
    benchmark recording set it to alt + F9, end recording set it to alt + F10.
    because the game has fps that are avg for different parts of the game, you reset the 1% and 0.1% by press alt+f9 again to get the correct numbers.

video capture tab, FYI content below so you know what the settings do. then i show what settings i use.

- capture mode

* mixed: records 3D-App (game) or if no game running the desktop.
    * desktop: if you have difficulties to record a (windowed) game you may want to record the whole desktop, also if you want to record switches from windowed game to desktop and back.
    * 3D application: record only 3D App (game) or don't record if no game is running. Preventing accidental records without running game. Also useful when activating automatic video prerecording.

- video format

The recording itself using NVENC doesn't impact your CPU or GPU. The encoding is done by the video encoder, a distinct logic chip on your graphics card.
    You can record @1080p60 or even higher as long as your harddrive or SSD where you store it can handle the stream data.
    Preferably you should have a separate HDD/SDD for recording.

* external plugin (Nvidia NVENC, Intel Quicksync or AMD AMF VCE) is using dedicated hardware to encode the video, has the least performance impact while recording. All three differ in quality and speed depending on the hardware generation used.

quality:
    * this slider is only used for recording with RTV1, MJPEG and VFW codecs.
    When using external plugins the quality is configured in the dialog External encoder configuration, or accessed from the "dot dot dot" button right of the "Video format" selection.

my settings;

- video capture tab, video capture ctrl + f6 (turns on recording in a game, this turns the recording on and off, i can tell because the yellow circle top left corner disappears when i press this)
    - capture mode = mixed
    - video format = external plugin, nvidia nvenc h.264, this is a fast codec, i dont know the amd equivalent but use that if you use amd videocard
    - container format, matroska mkv

- frame size, here is where the higher the resolution the more the cpu will work if your not using a dedicated chip like theone nvenc uses. if your using the cpu use 16:9 720p, else use a higher resolution and framerate whatever your ssd or hard drive can record.
    the rest is default, click apply

when you install msi afterburner you need to also install rivatuner. i left this at default.

both msi afterburner and rivaturner have to be open and if you want minimized to see the statistics and record the video when playing a game.

i thinned out my startup programs.
    playing apex legends set to 720p and desktop resolution set to 720p, lowest game video settings..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2019
  2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    The recording itself using NVENC doesn't impact your CPU or GPU. The encoding is done by the video encoder, a distinct logic chip on your graphics card. You can record @1080p60 or even higher as long as your harddrive or SSD where you store it can handle the stream data.
    Preferably you should have a separate HDD/SDD for recording.

3. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    Alternatively can also use Intel QuickSync for hardware encoding if you have an Intel mainstream CPU with an iGPU (and have it enabled and the drivers installed).

4. 4_R_3

4_R_3 Guest

i updated the first post instructions and video to included your input! thanks. :cool:

5. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    You may want to peek into the user interface tool-tips for further information.

capture-mode:
    * mixed=> records 3D-App (game) or if no game running the desktop.
    * desktop=> if you have difficulties to record a (windowed) game you may want to record the whole desktop, also if you want to record switches from windowed game to desktop and back.
    * 3D application=> record only 3D App (game) or don't record if no game is running. Preventing accidental records without running game. Also useful when activating automatic video prerecording.

video format:
    * external plugin (Nvidia NVENC, Intel Quicksync or AMD AMF VCE) is using dedicated hardware to encode the video, has the least performance impact while recording. All three differ in quality and speed depending on the hardware generation used.

quality:
    * this slider is only used for recording with RTV1, MJPEG and VFW codecs. When using external plugins the quality is configured in the dialog External encoder configuration.

boogieman likes this.
  6. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    To add to that, it's accessed from the "..." button right of the "Video format" selection. (I know I scratched my head for a while looking for it, when I first tested the hardware encoders...)

7. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Does AMD have anything similar? Pre vega cards

8. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
  9. 4_R_3

4_R_3 Guest

i updated the first post with the new information you added in. thanks!