pair of 2060 - how to enable dx12 mgpu?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by venturi, Jun 21, 2019.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Dudes, here's your two winning answers. Nothing more to add. And that's just the state of how it is.
    It's about money spent on something that doesn't bring money. End of story. Not complicated at all.

I've been waiting for mGPU under dx12 for years, and honestly, gave it up 3 years ago already when I learned how it has to be implemented. And honestly, not sure why anybody still buys anything else than the single GPU card that gives them the perfromance they need, or simply let's it be. Like people complaining about lacking 4K perfromance... don't buy a 4K screen for gaming then. Simple solution.

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Whilst that is true, I do believe that Nvidia missed the ball big time this generation. They made everyone wait so long on the 1000 series and then gave us something no one asked for that barely even works without halving the performance of your games. You got a 1080Ti and play all your games at 1440p, you buy a 2080Ti and expect to play all your games at 4K.... good luck with that if the game has ray tracing, you will be dropping down to 1080p and even then its hit or miss.

They should of waited, and released the 2080Ti with all shader cores to give us proper 4K gaming monster card, then maybe show cased ray tracing and hyped it up for the next release when it would actually be somewhat ready.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I kinda sorta agree...I disagree somewhat on RT. It's optional so you only lose the performance if you enable it. My issue is more value related. Too me it wasn't enough of a jump over my 1080 Ti which runs all day @2050mhz with an EVGA Hybrid cooler on it (of course with push/pull aftermarket fans. Stock fan is horrible Pro Tip) for the price. The price was affected by the addition of the RT and Tensor cores, so in that respect RT/Tensor is a negative for most games as it adds cost with no benefit.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

ITS ALMOST LIKE PIXEL SHADER 1 and 2 WASN'T THE EXACT SAME DEAL

oh wait......

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I tend to agree. Only to mention, they would probably not have done such a big chip "just" for the "usual" GPU functions (without RT / Tensor), and next gen will just be unable to drive 4K ray tracing as well.
    They should have postponed RT for at least 4 more years, but they smelled the opportunity to fill the "void" of lacking innovation and competition, so instead of going for 4K performance (which argueably is a very small target group as well I believe, everything above 1080p), they did "something else".
    That doesn't change people thinking that they could just drive x times more pixels with the same frequency / fps without x times more GPU power... that's just being outright silly :D

And they don't support SLI on lower end cards because it did, or at least in their business view, cripple higher tier card sales. While I personally don't like it, from Nvidia's POV it's perfectly logical to try and push people to buy a 450$/€ card, instead of 2x200$/€ cards for the same perfromance.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  6. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    @venturi - I tried to find a list of games with multiadapter support but the only one which I am sure about it Ashes.
    So, I would say if Ashes utilizes both of your non-SLI Geforce cards then there is nothing wrong with the nVidia driver. If Ashes doesn't work then I see this as a problem which should be fixed by nVidia.
    Of course it would be much better to test at leas 3 different games (and engines, not just titles) but I am not sure about anything other than Ashes. A few titles are mentioned here: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/what-games-support-dx12-explicit-multi-adapter.2508861/
    For me, it seems like there are several multiadapter titles but most of them (with the sole exception of Ashes) have limited support for card configuration: you probably need somewhat similar cards (probably same feature levels, similar performance metrics, etc). But... I think two identical Geforce cards with no SLI connectors (or disconnected bridges) should theoretically work. Well, unless the game developers designed their code to utilize the SLI bridges (in that case, there is nothing to complain about).

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  7. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    thank you all.

The issue is very simple
    mgpu titles, outside of AOTS, look for the crossfire flag or SLI enabled / available driver flag. In conjunction with dx12, the other ogpu titles such as SOTTR, do not look for the card configuration, just the crossfire sli tag. So Identical non sli cards still won't be utilized by the dx12 mgpu enabled titles because in nvidiaonline case the driver does not provide for the request to ms dx12 or the games that look for the tag. AMD was able to provide the correct response but nvidia is segmenting SLI vs non SLI cards and not allowing it. The reasons should be obvious.

AOTS does not look for the flag of sli so it does its own thing.

Hence the request for help on how to implement a work around

the current work around I use is painful

I install auto diff sli
    Then magically the ogpu in SOTTR starts to work

So yes, not conspiracy theory, just facts, nvidia is to blame for not giving the required flag to enable dx12 mgpu on non sli cards because its deliberate omission in the driver.

otherwise, much like AMD, even a pair of 1050ti would get the mgpu benefit. This straddles the lazy developer comments and dx12 implementation comments, rather, just do the enable for non sli cards for dx12 mgpu

and please
    lets keep this about the flag implementation and not one of those sli is on its way out discussions, or mgpu sucks discussions, or up to the lazy devs discussions or any of that.

I'd like to find out where to put he flags so that games / dx12 mgpu games on nvidia no sli cards can work other than installing auto diff sli.

PS
    auto diff sli on 4x titan v provides the sli performance at a higher FPS
    auto diff sli on 4x 1050ti provides better fps and smooth as 2 1080

and before we turn this into a he's aid / she said discussion to avoid answering or helping on the original question (cuz some folks prefer to tear down than to build) check this forum and you'll see that I was the one that solved 4x and 3x SLI on Pascal after nvidia hobbled it, and solved the 690 dually in quad sli, and solved the Titan Z driver issue. So please check the forum if you have issues taking what I have done at face value.

So in the spirit of looking at this from a technical standpoint (not the mgpu bashing crowd) does anyone have knowledge how to enable mgpu dx12 for nvidia non sli cards OTHER than installing auto diff sli?

If you don't know, its ok, but don't bash as a knee jerk reaction. If you don't understand the issue that's ok too, but don't tear down if this is incongruent with some philosophy.

I'm trying to solve the non sli nvidia cards in dx12 mgpu for games that claim mgpu support in dx12 -without using SLI and crossfire -cuz that was already there

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    moo100times and janos666 like this.
  8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    If Nvidia had released a series of cards in the 2000 series that could push 4K all the way from a 2060 for 60fps, 2070 for 100fps and 2080 for 120+fps and a 2080Ti for say 144+fps all at 4K it would of made people upgrade. Now with RT people don't want to upgrade because they know their cards can't push ray tracing above 1080p without major performance impact.

moo100times and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    Quite sad that mgpu/sli/crossfire is truly dying now, mgpu rigs looks super sexy, and more when they have liquid cooling.

fantaskarsef and Chastity like this.
  10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Despite your page of misinformation, the basic fact is you are trying to run two GPU's that are NOT SLI capable natively that they lack they HARDWARE to run as designed. If YOU are desiring to enable unsupported features or capability, that's all on you. You are NOT, making a technical argument, you are making 'I wish they would do it this way' argument. The end.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I have to agree, I mean, if I want to build an uber gaming rig with stupid horsepower by using multiple cards to drive my 4K / 8K system, I would think that the card makers would love to sell me multiple cards. But no, they don't want to dedicate the effort into making it work.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, if they would have, AMD would be destroyed by now. Not sure that would improve our situation in the long run tbh, but yeah I get what you mean :D

For such a rig you'd have to buy higher tier cards anyway, due to scaling 4x 2060 is a horrible idea in most cases. Check out @A M D BugBear 's thread, it's not just "I put in four cards and it works like four cards" at all, he takes a lot of time and effort to get it working. And at that point you grab higher tier cards, which are SLI capable with Nvidia. But that's all useless unless game devs code the support into their games, SLI was a driver hack in dx11, but with dx12 the devs have to do it. So in the forseeable future, game devs have to put more time (=money) in, which they simply won't since mGPU has always a PC specific nichee going for up to 5% of half of all game sales at best... which means something like 3% of sales on the total market of games on PC and consoles. It's a business, and it simply doesn't pay for them.

What we want is just not offered. That's why I'm still not putting my hands on 4K gaming.
    I too made the mistake of buying 2x 980 back then and I honestly regretted that purchase... not necessarily because of the 4GB VRAM on the card, but support for using both declined, game patches regularly broke SLI support under dx11 too (yes DICE I'm talking about you!) and console ports generally don't make use of it. Sad, but sadly true.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  13. Mico

Mico Guest

GPU:
    msi 1070 ti aero
    So far that i know also Strange Brigade supports mgpu with good results. As many stated mgpu within dx12/vulkan must be directly coded by the developer, so nvidia/amd are out in this case.
    Sli is based on using raw power of the 2/3/+ cards. Mgpu works different (imagine your screen divided into parts like a mosaic...1 card renders a part of them, the 2nd another part and so on...thats why the Gpus should still have a close performance gap or the weak 1 will bottleneck the most powerful one). The advantage towards sli is that Gpus can be different, fo example u can pair a 2060 with 1070 and still get benefit from them.
    But developers should not be lazy and...well we know...it's enough if developers can code a proper 60 fps game ported from console those days!

14. Mico

Mico Guest

GPU:
    msi 1070 ti aero
    Absolutely! I would buy gladly a 2xxx card in that case. They wanted to risk, i think they already paying the comeback. Tho, as somebody said, if the jump was that big, amd would be dead by know :p

15. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Actually
    in my case I'm using 4 Titan V (with CEO 32gb ed) not the 2060. The 2060s are the ones in my kids' computers, running auto diff just fine. I just wanted the mgpu to work without having to to the autodiff workaround.

The question was specific, I was trying to avoid everyone's philosophy of why bother or try, I just do. I've solved other stuff, I'll solve this, I just wanted to see if there was a head start out there, anyhow thx

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.

16. dexterav

dexterav Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    in some POV its sad, but...
    all about money and multi gpu setup its not big deal for manufacturer , need make drivers for almost nobody ...
    sometimes 2x weak gk not working beter than one and not allways be chepaer
    and side problem with mgpu its another thing, dont say no probleam because one gk have lots a problem sometimes :D

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    AMD wouldn't be dead, it would probably give them a kick up the ass to get their stuff together in the high end. They would still sell chips for the lower to mid range areas, especially in the APU range. This could of been the kick they needed just like they had for 10 years from Intel in the CPU side.... funny that they had their ass handed to them for 10 years in the CPU market.... yet they never died and are still here and now fighting back better than ever!

18. Mico

Mico Guest

GPU:
    msi 1070 ti aero
    Oh, i'll be the first to be happy if Amd can bring a solid counterpart even in the mid level. Those GPU are starting to be costy, way too much. I still remember when AMD (ATI at the time) was ruling the dx9 market with 130$ or so cards. The lack of competition brought high prices and lazy developers i suppose.

19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If Nvidia got a big jump like it was mentioned in this thread before, AMD would have nothing to beat it. Their best card now performs in 2080 range... if the Nvidia cards would have used their huge chip size only conventially, they'd have had a card probably performing about twice as much as AMD's best card by now. For the same price they are selling the 2080TI. 1.5 times the performance of what AMD can bring on for the same kind of money... if Nvidia would have done that down towards thier lower end as well, they'd have indeed kicked the red team's rear, but that doesn't mean that AMD has an offer at hand... new architecture at a smaller node and then beaten by a big margin by Nvidia's "old tech" and "old node"... that doesn't look like an automatic win ;)

And we shall see how RDNA keeps up, nobody says that they won't grab a bigger market share with them, buyers decide. I only don't see them bringing a big jump to the game like they did with CPUs this time around, and that's why I said I am not sure what AMD would / could have done by then.

But yeah, competition's good for us consumers, so I agree with you to some extent of course!

20. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    AMD needs their best halo card to beat NVIDIA;s best halo card in the same release schedule. The architecture's highest card should best nvidia's counterpart and all the hobbled cards beneath. THEN we will see some real consumer and customer service from nvidia and AMD.

Its what I want: AMD to trump nvidia - on the highest cards (not some marketing BS about performance per price point on their lowest cards)

But it will never happen, never