New C++ Installer released [Hassle free uninstaller/reinstaller]

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by CPC_RedDawn, Sep 30, 2014.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I already wrote a response to "importance" of newest VC redistributables. If application was developed (on C/C++) with specific version of VC binaries, removing them to replace with newer versions can break the application. It should not but it can. Also users chase improved performance with newer versions of VC binaries which is not there actually, because 99% of fixes are about security and 1% about actual bugs.

PS And another thing: many applications do not install VC binaries into "global" places - they just place them locally near the main exe-file. And of course such cases will ignore globally updated VC binaries.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yes there are good example cases for the former in several applications and there's even little cleaner programs trying to clean up files that would otherwise reside in the Windows directory which I would recommend against using, Firefox as one case and it's VC140 .dll where removing that will just break the program. :)

Performance wise well the only case where a bigger change might apply would likely be the SP1 variants of the early Visual C runtimes, otherwise yes it's security and then features are found in newer runtimes which well they were separate and now it's this system which I assume adds functionality and retains existing ones for backwards compatibility.

Compatibility issues could probably have been avoided but maintaining nearly 15 years of these is not easy and not something that can be easily changed and development practices do change over time, I've not run into a issue so far with these as long as program specific .dlls aren't ripped out which is best left alone (It's very unlikely to actually aid with anything after all.) but it's a good thing to keep in mind certainly. Besides running a bundle installer isn't that problematic either.

DirectX is unlikely to change anything either with the only bit missing being d3dcompiler_46.dll which were for a time bundled with programs requiring it and then d3dcompiler_47.dll is a standard in the OS itself now and the earlier will not really change so the 2010 installer is unlikely to be a problem unless major OS changes are ever made to Windows itself.

EDIT: Well minor complaints I guess, as if cutting down on maintenance on Windows could be more than a dream and it's not bad really the way it works nor will multiple runtimes ever really conflict or break due to just WxS and how it's structured.

EDIT: So in short yes agreed. :)
    (Sure it would be nice if it could be OS integrated and automated but it has good reasons for working the way it does too.)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    One such program - vc_bin_remover - I wrote for thatguy91. But of course it is aimed to folders like Steam/Origin games ones where each game can contain locally installed VC binaries.

PS And it has a backup/restore feature.

PPS And of course I wrote that app just to help gurus who will mess with VC binaries at any cost.

Coldblackice likes this.
  4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Oh maybe that was the program then and on that note I am glad Steam changed that at least so it's a centralized singular folder for it's various redistributable installer programs (PhysX, .NET, DirectX, VisualC 2004 to 2017 since 2019 is still a preview and then less common things like XNA I think it was called for one of these.) and not spread over however large the install library is from one user to another, saves a bit of space and keeps these installers more minimal letting Steam manage it and not try to install them over and over for each game too. :D

And yeah not bad to have programs for more power user oriented work really, feels like there's always more to learn but eh computers overall is a really large subject.

And on-topic it is also good to see these installers for Visual C++ and others still actively maintained too.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    at this point it is ritual, I do need the VC stuff though cause alot my game and emulators need them it or they dont work. Examples would be windows/temp or program folders. even my own download folder on my data drive, they would all say I dont permission to view or edit the folders. after I do the VC and NGen stuff and reboot the message go away. win 7 installs had same issue but doing this fixed that so it let me view those folders with getting those msgs. It never broke anything I see. it almost like the permisson to allow me to view said folders are not set till after I do that? or something else is happen in back ground upon reboot after all that is done. but I have no clue, stopped trying to fiqure out why PC's or hell Windows do what it does. every computer I ever install windows on in last 8+ years had this issue till I did the vc ngen stuff

I also install direct x redistribution upon install too but that is usual done before I do the vc ngen stuff

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Thank you for that little gem. Been using the replace feature that was added to it. Have even gone as far as testing the replacement of the dlls in some other programs as well. So far has worked out without issue.

akbaar likes this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It was interesting app to develop. If you will find bugs, report here.

Coldblackice and akbaar like this.
  8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Coldblackice and Undying like this.
  9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Coldblackice and Undying like this.
  10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

11. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
  12. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Undying likes this.
  13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
  14. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
  15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Nice to see this thread isn't dead. I will update the OP with the new links when I get home from work.

Cheers guys!

LocoDiceGR likes this.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    OP updated.

Tomatone, Undying and LocoDiceGR like this.
  17. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    addobi1406 updated his AIO VC++ Repack to v0.22.0 https://github.com/abbodi1406/vcredist/releases/tag/v0.22.0
    new switches:
    Code:
    /aiA
    Quiet mode. *All* Runtime packages are installed, and hide ARP entries.

/aiR
    Auto Uninstall mode, remove all detected runtimes.

/aiP
    Manual Hide or Show Runtimes entries in Add/Remove Programs panel.

/aiH
    Auto Hide Runtimes entries in Add/Remove Programs panel.
    changed:
    Code:
    /aiT
    Quiet mode. *Only* VSTOR 2010 package is installed.
    bonus feature of 7z SFX module i learned recently:
    Code:
    to install separate packages together, combine their latest switch character after /ai
    Example:
    /ai58X239E

this is equivalent to separately running these switches:
    /ai5
    /ai8
    /aiX
    /ai2
    /ai3
    /ai9
    /aiE

p.s. do not combine the switches of different modes

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Another update. :)
    https://github.com/abbodi1406/vcredist/releases

For those who prefer them other runtimes will probably also see updates to this latest release of Visual C++ 2019's redist. :)

WhiteLightning likes this.
  19. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
  20. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Strange Times and Undying like this.