This is a serious case

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Netherwind, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hey guys,

So, Matisse is getting closer, yay! I thought about getting a brand new case in order to celebrate and hopefully get slightly better temps than I have today.

Question is though (as always), which case has the best air flow and is on the same time the quietest? Well, obviously both things cannot coexist but is there one that has a good balance of both?

I've looked at countless videos but no case seems to be perfect except perhaps two:
    Dark Base 700 (on sale at the moment) - This case has a lot of nice features, one for example is that it can be inverted which is great for me since it will have the left side against the wall. Unfortunately cooling/acoustics are average.
    Lian-Li O-11 Dynamic - This case looks fantastic, cools really well but seems very loud

There is also the Cooler Master H500P but it seems quite difficult to find in Sweden.

What would you recommend for a 3800X build paired with a 2080Ti?

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I recently bought the H500M and the cooling is great but it's a little on the expensive side. Good build quality too.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @Geryboy @nhlkoho two 2080Ti H500 users, that's a good bet. I'll keep a lookout.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If you do get one, do not get the standard H500. Get either the P or M models.

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Dark Base cases are nice but what I never liked on them is airflow, I used this case on one build and wouldn't use this case again, at the end I modified top and front panels because of airflow has been poor

Lian Li O-11 Dynamic this case I never used or tried and can only guess how does perform, I'm planning use this case as well for one build but will see

I still prefer my old Enthoo Primo which still I use for any build which I do, they're have great airflow and mainly supplied fans are my favourite

From newer cases stay away from cases which have TG at front or top, cases with meshes or mesh always will be better but are good cases with solid top and front panels which perform better than cases with mesh

Silverstone Raven RV02-E its one of best airflow cases on market, used on friend air cooled build and friend loves this case, for many people looks boring or doesn't have right amount of RGB etc but who cares if yiu want best case with airflow

Coolermaster cases, don't rate them highly personally but that's my opinion

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I have the Obsidian Series 500D RGB SE Premium Mid-Tower Case.

Beautiful, quite and cooling is very good. I used to have a large tower before. Ugly thing it was too.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @nhlkoho @Geryboy : After watching Gamer Nexus video on the H500P, I've concluded that although it's seems like a good case that is great on CPU temps, the GPU temps aren't as fantastic even though all fans are already installed and cannot exactly be "altered" like with the other cases I was considering.

@jura11 : Thanks for your feedback regarding the Dark Base 700. I know that with just two fans the temps aren't fantastic but I was hoping that adding two more fans would solve that problem and still keep the case silent.

@TaskMaster : I checked Gamer Nexus, not bad but not too great either. On the other hand your opinion is quite interesting since they only test with stock fans.

Thanks guys but I think I'll go bold and go for the crazy looking Lian-Li :) Question now is...what fans do I choose? A three pack of Corsair LL120 RGBs? Just some white LED Corsair AF120s? Or maybe the Corsair ML120s?

8. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Well I do live in Dubai which is very hot during the summer so my room is very cold with AC which helps. I think the thing about the case aside from the fans (stock fans are very good btw) is the fact that the side panels do not close fully (on purpose). There is a a very small gap to increase airflow which is good.

For example with my case and gaming for a long period of time, my 2080ti strix with a clock of +170 never goes above 60c. Usually hovers around 50-55c. CPU @ 5ghz hits 45-50c, but that is liquid cooled. The whole glass case thing was a new venture for me and I wanted a mid tower instead of a huge one like I had before.

Your final choice is very nice though.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Ok, I finally decided on the Lian Li O-11 Dynamic and a pack of Corsair LL120 RGB fans plus G-Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 RGB memory. Boy, I cannot wait :D This will be an RGB bonanza for sure, I just hope the missus won't mind.

@Geryboy I'll have to watch that video at home, the headset I have at work broke down the other day :/

@TaskMaster 60c is unreal unless you run your fans at 100% or something like that :) If not, the temps are truly amazing. The summer time is always hard on the GPU since it's hotter (although Sweden isn't as hot as Dubai ofc).

10. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Yup 60c. Fans not even at 100, I have a steady curve on my oc program, so it doesn't get too loud. My room AC is usually 21c (cold) and I have marble flooring which also helps (my PC is not on the desk, but close to the ground along with concrete walls to insulate the cold.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Marble flooring would be great for bottom fans :)

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I'd recommend the lian li 011 air over the 011 dynamic for your use.