CD Projekt RED Announces Cyberpunk

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    When you take into account World density and detail, Cyberpunk 2077 has perhaps the most impressive graphics of any soon to be released title, with the possible exception of Star Citizen and Squadron 42. Except that unlike Star Citizen and Squadron 42, CBP 2077 will be released on current gen consoles.

Although CDPR hasn't (at least not to my knowledge) detailed their engine improvements for Red Engine 4 which will power CBP 2077, they must be substantial indeed because even to my untrained eyes, there is a very tangible leap in animation quality, lighting, geometry, amount of systems, simulation, NPC density etc when compared to the Witcher 3. As to how that translates to performance, that's another matter entirely.

Which begs the question. If the Witcher 3 was substantially downgraded (and it was) from the pre-release demos, how will a much bigger and more complex game like CBP 2077 fare in comparison?

OK to be fair, things have likely changed over the years. As I mentioned, Red Engine 4 has likely seen a very healthy amount of improvements over the Red Engine 3 which was used in the Witcher 3, some of which will hopefully make the assets more scalable and the engine more performant.

Asset scalability was perhaps the biggest problem with the Witcher 3, and contributed to the sense of being downgraded more than anything. This was especially notable when it came to inorganic structures like buildings. The PC used the exact same draw distance and polygon count for buildings as the console versions, despite having longer draw distances for shadows and vegetation. The reason why CDPR did this was because they used a third party draw distance scaling program called Simplygon, as Red engine 3.0 itself was unable to scale the LoD and draw distance appropriately from in game.

My hope is that Red Engine 4 rectifies that mistake, and enables settings that affect LoD and draw distance for more powerful machines. It's also basically confirmed that CBP 2077 will be a DX12 title, due to the inclusion of DXR. I just hope their DX12 implementation is a good one, and that they don't waste time trying to implement a DX11 path.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    i can't find anything similar comparing BioShock and System Shock. only the word Shock for me :)

played both several times, loved both. i think the first BioShock was the best of em, second and Infinite
    are on the same level as i see it. System Shock 2 is in my #top10 of all time on PC.

anyway something that made me think about Cyberpunk.. well it's not really an issue but still..
    i think il have to upgrade my PC on its release. might get a new RYZEN with some newer GPU.

looks like it will be a demanding game with replay value..i sure hope so :)

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    How cool would it be if anyone ever figured out a way to use procedural generation to make an entire city with each building having insides that you can explore and for that city to be populated with AI that all does it's own things, has their own schedules and lives and needs and wants.... that to me would be a cool game.

XenthorX likes this.
  4. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    That would be really boring! :D

Maybe in the next Jeovah's Witnesses Simulator.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Maybe if guns and cars weren't in the game...

xD

sertopico likes this.
  6. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Cyberpunk 2077 does not have the most impressive graphics simply because that game does not exist. These presentations are not even close to the full project, and expect huge graphics downgrade as always.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Let's play Jeaperdy, my answer is:

"Do you want to know what the Matrix is?"

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Being a battery is cool ok.

XenthorX and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Have to agree here. The witcher 3 for example is a beautiful game, but more so with the right mods. However, they trailer of that game did not really match final release (very close, but not quite).

Just like BFV trailer, no where near what was given to us.

Never trust footage from a game that has yet to be released to the public. Ever.

10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    That's one of the thing that has surprised me regarding CP2077, there's no proceduralism mentionned anywhere, on the contrary they're arguing that everything is handcrafted.
    For a project of this scale, i'm stunned, and thrilled :3

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Perhaps, perhaps not. CDPR seems to be putting much greater emphasis on cutting edge technology which will actually be implemented into the game. Ray tracing is the most noteworthy example of that. So we are guaranteed at least for now, that the most fundamental graphical feature ie the lighting, is going to potentially look much better on the PC platform.

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I already covered the Witcher 3 objections in my previous post. What makes CBP 2077 different is:

1) Different engine. CBP 2077 uses Red Engine 4, which appears to be a highly upgraded version of the engine used in the Witcher 3. How much it's upgraded remains to be seen, but from the footage so far, it appears the upgrades are HUGE, especially in terms of lighting, animation and geometry.

2) Less emphasis on platform parity. Platform parity was a big deal with the Witcher 3, as that was CDPR's first real AAA title and their first big foray into consoles. With CBP 2077 however, CDPR now has some notches on their belt and don't have anything to prove in that regard. They are going to implement ray tracing, and that tells me they are invested in trying to make the game as beautiful as possible without regard for artificially imposing parity.

3) CBP 2077 will be released at the tail end of the current gen cycle, and will VERY likely also be released on next gen consoles. So the assets they use will have to be of a higher quality than what current gen systems can handle. My guess is they will simply use the same assets from the PC version for the PS5 and Xbox Two or whatever it will be called.

Stone Gargoyle likes this.
  13. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Is it?

14. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Yeah, a lot of people say they do this as clickbait, increasing traffic to their website. Probably so. Some have recommended only sharing an archive link when discussing these articles so they receive no clicks or ad revenue.

fantaskarsef and cerebus23 like this.
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    In retrospect I regret even linking that PoS article.

Matt can go and suck Cox as far as I'm concerned! Ba-dum-tshhh....

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Is this where you bust in and say that CryEngine's SVOTI is superior to Ray tracing? :D

17. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    Politics are ruining my hobby.

Political money hungry idiots are attacking this game and WW2 has black ***** women.

cerebus23 likes this.
  18. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I agree with your points entirely and I am sure the game will be beautiful, but I have been let down in the past too many times when it comes to visuals (yes I am a graphics slut).

I feel like a dirty sidewalk hooker who jumped into a beautiful vintage astin martin and promised the world only to find out I was used, abused and left on the street again to take shelter with my crack addict boyfriend whom I depend so much on for my addiction.

Yes, I take visual promises from companies too serious :D

AsiJu, Shataan, Carfax and 1 other person like this.
  19. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
  20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I think that's more for the consoles. There is just no way that CBP 2077 will run on the base PS4 and Xbox One, or even the advanced models without some serious compromises. As per the demos so far, the world is too dense and heavy for their CPUs and GPUs to deal with without tanking the framerates to unplayable levels.

But as I stated before, the big question is whether CDPR will allow for FORCED platform parity like they did in the Witcher 3. So far the indications are no, as they are going to implement ray tracing. Why implement ray tracing if platform parity was going to be a thing with CBP 2077?

When the Witcher 3 shipped, all of the cool stuff from the E3 demo like physically interactive water, better lighting model, physically reactive igni sparks, screen space reflections, greater geometry in Novigrad, longer draw distances etcetera were stripped out of ALL versions, regardless of computational power. This time with the next gen consoles launching next year a few months after CBP 2077 is released, it makes absolutely no sense for them to do that.

cerebus23 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.