pair of 2060 - how to enable dx12 mgpu?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by venturi, Jun 21, 2019.

1. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    title says it all

how do you enable dx12 mgpu with non-sli cards? Especially when the cards are identical.
    (other than ashes of the singularity)

otherwise all dx12 mgpu is a lie (other than ashes of the singularity)

example

pair of 2060, SOTTR, where is mgpu?

I would hate to think that for nvidia non-slo cards, dx12mgpu was crippled in order to not take sales away from 2070 and 2080, no company would be that conniving...would they?

...it wouldn't be as cheesy as dx12 mgpu being enabled only when sli is enabled instead of looking at homogenous or explicit card sets?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  2. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    IIRC, there aren't in-game settings for Sli/mgpu in either Rise of the Tomb Raider or Sottr. It just works if you have two GPUs. I played the whole of Rise and the demo of Shadow with DX12 mgpu activated on Kepler Titan. Games where you can enable it manually in the settings are Hitman 2016 and Hitman 2, there are free demos of those.

It would be terrible though if the lack of Sli settings in the Nvidia control panel means you can't use DX12 mgpu.

Edit: I had Hitman 2016 installed still so I went ahead and tried it with Sli deactivated in the NCP. It was still possible to enable DX12 mgpu and run the game, but the second GPU was idling.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  3. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    thank you, yes it works with sli cards.

but the question is:

non-sli cards and mgpu,
    such as any flavor that isn't an sli card
    deactivating sli on sli enabled cards us not what this is about.

DX12 mgpu is NOT FUNCTIONAL on nvidia crds that don't have SLI.

mgpu is supposed to "bypass" that
    otherwise yer just enabling a version of crossfire or sli

for nvidia, the driver does not provide the ms dx12 mgpu component.

only ASHES of the SINGULARITY is set up to use mgpu in dx12
    Strange brigade uses mgpu in vulcan ONLY for AMD (nvidia, non sli cards don't work)

ALL other games are just crossfire / sli comps in dx12

so I'm asking

how to enable dx12 mgpu with nvidia non sli cards?

because it looks like nvidia deliberately killed the feature

thx

4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I think the driver needs to support/allow it and the game itself has to have it implemented for it to work properly.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the driver has no part in dx12 application mgpu support.

6. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I was thinking the driver might expose available features of the hardware, in this case DX12 mGPU support. I guess I was wrong then. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DirectX 12 applications/games can support more then one GPU, however it is not related to "driver magic" like it was on previous APIs where if you are lucky the AFR works in SLI/CFX.
    If you enable SLI/CFX, then the driver will enumerate all the GPUs involved in multiple nodes of a single adapter, this is called linked display adapter (LDA) mode, but nothing more. If the application/game support LDA then it will work, otherwise only the first enumerated node (ie the first enumerated GPU) will be used.
    DirectX 12 also offers the opportunity to support multiple adapters in a general way, ie multiple GPUs which are not in SLI/CFX, even of different capabilities and HIVs. Again, this is left to developers.

8. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    so...
    Only ashes of the sigularity is a dx12 mgpu title and no others?

all other mgpu so called titles are just sli and crossfire despite claiming mgpu in dx12 (like hitman, SOTTR, etc)?

Wow, what a BS marketing hype over win 10...

9. dexterav

dexterav Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    mgpu in DX12 need support from developer, and you know how is dev lazy :D

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I wouldn't call the devs lazy I would put the blame on lack of funding from publishers. Think about it, are you going to allow your team of devs to spend time and money making mGPU work in DX12 for your game that less than 1% of people will use or are you going to spend time and money making those devs implement mircotransactions and lootboxes?? Something that will be accessible to all your players and in turn make you even more money.

Kaarme and dexterav like this.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That, and how many times have we seen different versions of this topic. Though I'm not sure why the target is Nvidia. That's not really relevant. As you say, it has to be implemented per title.

fantaskarsef and dexterav like this.
  12. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    maybe,
    but AFR seems to work ok without sli bridges when you use auto diff sli with two 1060's and 4x titan Vs, titles that scale well with the sli bridge in AFR also seem to scale as well without the sli bridge.

so to some extent nvidia is holding back on the mgpu to cater to their higher priced sli / nvlink bridge cards.

I was the one that enabled 4x sli on pascal and post pascal sli. in that case the difference was unwilling to enable by the manufacturer vs unable to.

So yes, in part, nvidia is choosing not to enable mgpu on non sli cards. When in fact it works well with the work around. Yes I'm sure some titles don't work as well, but without making it a conspiracy theory, sli / ,gpu could be enabled by the manufacturer.

I just get tired of having to screw with auto diff sli.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  13. dexterav

dexterav Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    be honest CF and SLI its death
    because allways use this anly small part of gamer like Red Dawn say
    and both manufacturer have different problen in this time , like resolve trouble with SLI/CF/mgpu or no matter we called this for few people
    sometimes driver not work normaly with one card not even 2 or more...
    next thing is so many motheboards/cpu have only 16links for GK, i know its no big deal , but work on 2x8 its not great for presentation if have SLI/CF with 2x8 not 2x16
    some board for 300e dont have 2x16 links for 2 graphics
    for me its ok i never like SLI/CF/mgpu

14. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    There is usually negligible amount of performance difference between 8x and 16x, even with high-end cards. This always used to be like this because the bandwidth/lane usually doubles with every PCI-E generation (and 4.0 is already on the doorstep, 5.0 is in the works...).
    Also, HEDT boards can usually give you a bunch of lanes (yes, those are expensive but small cheap cards probably need less bandwidth as well compared to high-end cards and you are always better off buying a single high-end card than two mid-range cards, so...).
    And if you read the comments above you would know that DX12 multi-adapter is independent of manufacturer drivers (beyond of enabling/disabling, I guess). It's a job for the application developers (if they want it).

I never liked these solutions either but I felt the need when I transitioned to FullHD (back in the days).

And on a related note, it was also fun to use a Geforce card as a PhiysX accelerator next to a Radeon while it lasted. Not like I could play more than 1 or 2 games like that, but... hehe...
    So, it would be interesting to use a secondary small card for extra fancy effects though DX12 multi-GPU.
    Water-cooling both on the other hand. Well... It wouldn't really worth it and I would probably choose the silent operation instead of dragging the secondary card out of half-passive standby most of the time.

15. dexterav

dexterav Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    btw using geforce like a physx have nothing with mgpu/sli or cf becuse its using like separate 2 card
    yes dx12 multi adapter is independent but barely working, this is only just nicely promising and reality is multi gpu is diying and dx12 make thing worse not better :)

but hedts board depends on cpu too,some cheapes x299 have lanes only from CPU because not using trouble making PLX chips and problem still not solev even if you bay cheap HEDT from intel
    i have X99 WS board from asus and maybe 2 years bioses repair only bugs with plx :D

and be hones HEDT its not for every one again because of money

next thing is so many motheboards/cpu have only 16links for GK, i know its no big deal

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I don't get what you're whinging about. If you want to use SLI, then use SLI capable GPU's. That you come here complaining that you have to go to a bit of extra effort to use an unsupported configuration...I mean, you're like the 0.001% and nobody is going to devote resources to your niche.

17. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I think the concern is legit. I am not sure but I guess DX12 multi-adapter (I think that's how it's called) is also enabled by the generic SLI/CF switch in the driver control panels (with both manufacturers) even though the driver does absolutely nothing with how the DX12 game uses the adapters and SLI bridges are not utilized (or it's up to the game to use them or not). Thus (if my assumptions are correct) it's an unnecessary artificial limitation to disable DX12 multi-adapter mode for Geforce cards which have no SLI connectors simply because the DX11 SLI mode is unavailable (and so the combined SLI/CF switch is hidden in the driver control panel, stuck at "disabled", stopping multi-adapter from working).
    But I could be wrong, it's very hard to understand what he tries to tell (and I am almost sure he doesn't really know either, so I had to fill the gaps with assumption). And I never had any SLI/CF configurations since Win10 came around.

Dragam1337 and venturi like this.
  18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    He's using GPU's that do not have SLI fingers. My point being, don't blame others if you have to go to a little extra trouble to enable an unsupported feature. That's all.

19. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    DX12 multi-adapter should theoretically work with cards from different manufacturers. You won't have bridges on a config like that (and AMD went bridge-less long before anyway).

20. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX

Precisely what I was getting at