Intel Might Drop Desktop processor Prices by 15% To Fight off AMD Ryzen 3000

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

I know... yet here we are.
    A JavaScript expert with unexploitable hw got hacked, while OTOH the guy who has obliviously been living under the rock has a grand total of zero coins missing across few dozen of wallets. All that with no AV sw, with vulnerable hw, and while clicking every booblicious ad that pops on my screen :p

airbud7 likes this.
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Guilty as charged.

I genuinely don't give a FF about crimes that are so elusive to lack the decency of being recorded as frequently as EVER :)
    You?

airbud7 likes this.
  3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    How often do you hear about peoples lives being completely destroyed by credit/social security hacks and etc.? Do you know of anyone, personally? How often is it discussed on the news, other then simply "keep yourself safe!"? As those aren't actually news that it happened, only a warning to keep yourself safe.

Even if you, personally, do know someone, most people don't. Many people never even tell anyone, so if you don't know anyone, you actually might.

But, we know these things happen, we know this information gets out, somehow, someway, but the most we're ever told is: So and so company got hacked, if you used them, keep track of your information as it may have been compromised!

And yet, i could use the same idea as you do, if i, personally, don't know anyone, and only "hear" about the potential vulnerabilities: "because i haven't heard of any actual crime, there must be no crime, and no risk to me!"

And the thing is? People actually do feel that way. I know this because i have worked on computers for quite some time and come up to the same nonsensical ideas that you're spewing out. They all claim that it's all a lie, or very infrequent. Even after explaining to them that typically once a month we get someone in who believes their systems have been hacked in some way or another, because their credit card information has been used on other retailers websites they have never seen before, that $10,000 was taken out of their bank account and they are in talks with the bank to see what can happen, or someone was caught using their social security number for jobs, housing, credit cards, etc. in california, when they've never even been to california. But do they listen? Nope, it's just all stories to them.

So go ahead, be another statistic that claims because they know about something they should do, they won't do it, because clearly, they've never heard of it happening, and clearly that means it could never happen to them. No ones stopping you, it's your life. Move along and let others be informed while you choose not to be.

[​IMG]

bballfreak6 likes this.
  4. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Ah yes. I had the Athlon 64 x2 4600+ with an ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire board but the Abit NF7-S Rev2.0 were special boards back then with Soundstorm. I loved that time bar the loud 80mm fans.

I remember all the hooha with Android and Certifigate. All your base are belong to us type of panic. Yet to this day I was never affected with it as the phone is still in use.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    But I am not saying that Intel's vulnerabilities are a LIE, or that its abuses are very infrequent.
    I am saying they are VERY VERY VERY VERY INFREQUENT.

So much so, that the number of known abuses of Spectre & Co. in the wild is... ZERO. If that makes me:

[​IMG]

hahaha, so be it.
    I repeat, if I was an industry player, my level of concern would have been quite different.
    But as a lowly end user who seemingly can't have a single lousy coin stolen by myriads of much more frequently used attack vectors, I choose to remain a statistic, as you put it. And not only that, I choose to act according to known statistics. If that makes me... haha, so be it.

6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Is it a coincidence that I had a Intel Core i7 4790K at the time? ;) Of course I mostly blame myself for losing my ETH (although the crash in crypto prices made it redundant, haha) but my hardware at the time certainly wasn't helping. It's a good thing that I've fully migrated over to AMD now.

Like I said, security always comes first. Nobody in their right mind would leave their data exposed for a few extra frames. Get your priorities straight.

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Exactly. Move along and let others be informed while you choose not to be.

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It seems like this thread derailed into some other topic a couple pages ago. Hasn't this stuff already been discussed at great length? I guess my answer is above. :D

airbud7 likes this.
  9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It's a deal. You stay in your concrete underground shelter, which is also snow-leopard proof :p

typhon6657 and airbud7 like this.
  10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    @Noisiv is kind of guy who prefer to have unprotected sex, cause it's more fun and he blindly trust his friends for not giving him AIDS :D

I mean they are totally clean! There were no history of them getting aids whatsoever! :D

Aura89 likes this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Just to give my 2 cents:
    I sit somewhere in the middle ground. I have an i3 for my laptop and although I'm definitely feeling the performance losses of the security mitigations, I'd rather keep them enabled because this handles a lot of important data. Keep in mind, I'm a Linux user, so I've already got some leverage with security in the first place, and I still keep the mitigations on.

But, if I had an Intel PC with a high refresh rate display dedicated to nothing but gaming, I would definitely consider turning all of the mitigations off. The extra few FPS are worth it and the security concerns are negligible. If that PC were hacked, why should I care? There's nothing of any real value on it (that being said, I personally don't treat game saves that importantly).

When using the unlocked door analogy, leaving my laptop unsecured would be like leaving my door unlocked if I lived in a slum: although I could possibly never be attacked, I'm irresponsibly decreasing my level of security. Leaving a gaming PC unsecured would be like leaving my door unlocked in a ritzy neighborhood: the possibility of me being attacked isn't 0%, but aside from being very unlikely, someone living in such a neighborhood is probably well-off enough to be able to replace/fix whatever was taken/destroyed.

Aura89 likes this.
  12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I don't disagree with that, well, mostly. I'd say many peoples account information for their various libraries of games is fairly important games. If i were to, for instance, lose my steam account of 1600+ games, my life wouldn't be over and down the drain, but, i'd be feeling it. I'd have to put my trust in steam/valve to get my account back, and hopefully i could...hopefully, and hopefully i didn't use that account e-mail and password for any other accounts of any kind, which, most people do......

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Wow, so many responses to people already on my ignore lists. Half the thread's gone if I don't let it be shown :D

Still going with AMD. Just because. Thanks for the try Intel, see you around when you have finally managed all security issues in hardware. Until then I can live with <5 fps less.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Really, and what makes you think that?

15. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Windows 10 has probing meltdown antenna in it that uses forces of flat Earth to send signal that being amplified by vaccinated kids to CIA and FBI of you making a point how Earth is not flat.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Typhon is a troll, just ignore him.

Mufflore and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    There's a very short window of time where such information has the opportunity to be stolen, and I assume that the processes handling the login change depending on whether or not it is automatic. Both of these things can complicate an automated system.
    In addition to that, whoever it is seeking to steal your information would also have to be looking for whichever gaming account you're signing into. Remember, you're not signing in through a web browser and the vulnerabilities run at a very low level. This is good for the hacker because it can go undetected, but at the same time, dramatically increases the complexity of the code used to spy. I really don't think it'd be worth the time and effort to write a fresh new program that uses one of these exploits to steal your Epic Games account, for example. I mention Epic specifically, because those accounts regularly (or at least used to) have hack attempts, so there is a very real interest in this. In addition to that, many DRMs have 2-step verification.
    Anyway - I would expect these vulnerabilities to really be exploited in more common software, like MS Outlook or web browsers, since you basically only need to write 1 program that could gather pretty much all of your life's info. Since writing a hack for each gaming DRM just isn't worth the effort, I personally would deem the security risk negligible. Again, it isn't a 0% chance of being hacked, but as others have stated before, 100% security isn't possible. I'm willing to get my extra FPS and take the risk.

To your point though: for someone like you with 1600+ games, that would actually be a big loss to you to lose that. I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone like yourself to prioritize security. I, meanwhile, have somewhere around 120; I could lose half of those games and I wouldn't care.

Irrelevant comparison. In 2015, AMD was so uninteresting and far behind that they were losing money. Back then, Intel was pretty much the only option for anyone who wanted a serious PC. Everything Intel was expensive back then.

Aura89 likes this.
  18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Can you not post troll posts? Thanks.

Aura89 likes this.
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Indeed, eloquently put.

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Legit, you do know this is me as a staff member telling you not do that?