Synology Announces DiskStation DS419slim

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Synology announced their DiskStation DS419slim, a nas with a place for four 2.5 "storage disks and a cubic housing of relatively limited size. The new nas can have a maximum of 20TB of storage...

Synology Announces DiskStation DS419slim

386SX likes this.
  2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'm having a really hard time justifying the increase in price from €299 to €375 (retail prices here for the 416slim and 419slim).
    - They both have the same CPU, it just seems the 419 has a 1.33GHz marvell chip, whereas the 416 has a 1.0GHz apparently, even though they are both noted as "Marvell Armada 385 88F6820".
    - Both have 512MB DDR3(L).

The 419 has slightly faster reads/writes, but that is probably due to the CPU speed increase.

It being one of the only 2.5in NAS available, its in a park of its own, but still hard to justify the price increase.
    Maybe there is extra stuff in there, but I can't see it (and they would have shouted it from the rooftops in the press release).

3. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    You will agree this poses a lot of cons for this size.
    2.5 inch HDDs are a lot more expensive than their 3.5 inch counterparts. And for SSDs it would be a shame to run 20TB of SSD space at 220MB/s read and 95MB/s write.

Cheapest SSD with more than 3TB size and SATA is
    Micron 5210 ION with 3.84TB for more than 400 Euros a piece.
    Cheapest HDD is Seagate Barracuda Compute with 4TB for 130 Euros a piece, with 3 models of 2.5 inch HDDs which are bigger than 4TB at all.

Companies tend to run clusters of storage, but not these ...

So who should buy this? I honestly see no audience for those as you can get the same for about half the price as 3.5 inch form factor.

4. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    The CPU & network interface do not seem to make sense, at least why no 10Gge to go along with fast SSD network storage? Not sure I see a logic for this product either, especially at the price of having it populated.

A regular tiered nas, while being substantially bigger, would make more sense IMO.

386SX likes this.