[Rumor] NVIDIA Super: Refreshes GeForce RTX 2060 ($249), 2070 ($399), 2080 ($599)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by EL1TE, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    videocardz's info is more reliable and they are saying the 2080 super is still a tu104.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Thanks. But I meant actual confirmation on what "Super" means.
    nVidia did put out the word. And people went all crazy with GPU combinations which made no sense + crazy price reductions.

Resulting in lineup of fine steps in SM count... meanwhile nVidia is supposedly discontinuing old line. I can understand 2nd/3rd chip variant for something that has just one as they may have enough of chips where they can enable certain number of SMs and can reach certain clock.

But all in all rumors are in general against what nVidia needs to do. And that's why I think nVidia is silent.
    - - - -
    On other hand, if internet causes some wide panic and then heavy disappointment... Maybe it will force nVidia to lower prices as people could stop buying cards in anticipation of lower prices and then from feeling betrayed.
    People may get that "price war" same "leakers" write about. Maybe leaks are made exactly for this purpose, to trigger something.

But to be honest, looking at entry level prices of likes RX-580, there is not much space for lower prices. Therefore that price bracket is not going to benefit much. Except maybe nVidia reducing price of 1660 6G to match mentioned RX-580 8G.
    Could price bracket under $250 realistically get RTX 2060 to at least start looking at DX-R features with somewhat acceptable performance?
    - - - -
    What I see in shop availability, I could guess that Vega 56/64 are being discontinued. There are few variants left.
    And RX-580 seems to have lower number of variants too. But still enough to think that it is still around.
    - - - -
    In contrast to that, every GPU based on Turing has 2~3 times as many variants as Vega 56/64 available on stores. I think that speaks for itself.
    For example 19 variants of 2060 and each has good availability. It does not look like something that's to be replaced in less than a month.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus

5. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    This looks a lot more realistic than "Faster and $100 less" especially with AMD having their prices as high as they are. Doesn't even seem like price drops because you could regularly get a 2070 for $500 and 2080 for $700 before.

And I still think GPU prices are outrageous. Remember when $300 was a decent sum to spend on a video card but got you within 20% of top-tier performance? $500 was top-of-the-line overkill? It's like they saw how much some people would pay during the bitcoin GPU shortage and thought "let's make those are regular prices!"

jbscotchman likes this.
  6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-super-series-graphics-cards-launch-date/

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Only hope for us is that current rtx cards gets a price drop.

8. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    OK, if this is true and in Europe the RTX 2060 with 8GB GDDR6 comes at 250, I'll buy one despite my GTX 1060. I'll sell it.

9. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Let's not forget currency inflation though. There were definitely times where top of the line was 500-600, but higher prices have happened a lot as well.
    Oh, and from 2017 to 2019 there's another ~5% extra inflation.

(I'm aware these are MSRP and wouldn't take into account things like crypto craze etc)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Inflation cost plus price of technology advancing, plus supply and demand leaves higher prices. We saw it with CPUs not too long ago, and started to go cheaper at least just in the past few years.

Aura89 likes this.
  11. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    4 posts above I said I'll buy an RTX 2060 Super IF it comes in Europe at 250 euros. And usually in Europe hardware is more expensive than the US. So if they do it, I hope it will be at least at 270 euros. Currently I can buy an RTX 2060 at 295 euros... No way. My 1060 has a lot of juice in order to threw it for an RTX. We will see. Besides, it's still rumors.

The new tech will catch up with time. Developers needed such a thing decades ago. But the first gen of RTX cards still hasn't the power needed. Perhaps only the 2080Ti. When Nvidia will go at 7nm node, I guess they will fill up more Tensor cores and will become much more powerful. For now I'd like the 2060 Super for the GDDR6, +2GB VRAM and even more powerful and supposedly cheaper. Plus, it's at least 30% more powerful than 1060 without taking into account Tensor cores etc. Only in this case I'll buy it. I'm inclined to pay up to 270-280 euros for such a card. Not a penny more.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    A 2060 Super for $249? I'm there!

airbud7 likes this.
  13. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I kind of feel like the "Super" teaser was really stood for supercomputing (the ARM CUDA thing they announced a couple of days ago). That said, I still think the rumored chips/cards (at least the improved 2060 and 2070) to combat Navi will be released shortly after Navi hits the market, albeit they might just be called "Ti" or something else (maybe the good old "Ultra" for the improved 2080 variant - or even 2080 "Ti Ultra" for the improved "Ti" part - if they decide to release one). Or maybe that was the original plan, but with all the speculation running rampant, things might have changed and they'll actually name these variants "Super".
    That's pure speculation, though, I don't really have a clue. ;)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    because the 2080ti is incomplete, and the RTX Titan has too much memory.

15. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Some of us dont talk, i mean do not talk with a plum in the mouth, so i dare say most of us, if not in the world of teaching English, will not always be correct in ' grammar '

The above, ' Should I have used a full stop somewhere or commas alright ?

Any way, i like it as if it's coming out of the GOB :D

16. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    You guys aren't the only ones Canada is just as bad its actually 508$ cad here or 555$aus for the absolute cheapest model after taxes.

17. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    At a popular retailer in Perth:

MSI 2060 Gaming Z - $629
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z - $900 (sold out)
    MSI 2080 Gaming X - $1,259
    MSI 2080Ti Gaming X $1,999

Last 2 generations have been insanely expensive. Luckily my monitor still needs DVI-D so I wasn't tempted to bankrupt myself buying one. Nabbed a 1080 Gaming X on ebay from Moldova for $580 with shipping. Should get $400-$450 back selling my 1070. Nice little upgrade with little cost.

jura11 and jbscotchman like this.
  18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Why do i keep seeing A J Styles, when looking at your Avatar :p

19. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    MSI Gaming series is a heavily modded and overclocked. AMD from similar series cost far higher than MSRP as well.

900 AUD of 2070 Gaming Z would be 620 USD, and minus taxes it would be 565 USD which is pretty much the price all around the world for this card.
    MSI 2070 Ventus, less modded version with closer to stock frequencies and simplier cooling system cost 440 USD.

milamber likes this.
  20. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    You are mistaken. That's Allen Jesus Styles :)

Rich_Guy likes this.
  21. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    They'd bring out a 2080 Ti Super to replace the regular 2080 Ti in order to avoid the 2080 Super eating into their top end card sales. If the gap between 2080Ti and 2080 Super becomes too narrow, the 2080 Super would eat into the market for the 2080Ti, so they have to expand the gap wide enough to still make the 2080 Ti SKU attractive to buyers. Hence the 2080 Ti Super, because NVIDIA is not only competing with AMD, but also itself when it comes to their card line-up. The profit margins at the high end are nothing to be sneezed at. Plus having yet another fastest gaming card will give them prestige in the eyes of some consumers (those who have to have the latest and greatest no matter the cost).