EA on Lootboxes.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TheDeeGee, Jun 19, 2019.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
  2. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Nice justification there. I can't wait for rapists to start claiming that they are just using "surprise mechanics" to get into people's pants.

Yes yes, I know it's a bit of a stretch there and isn't quite comparable :p

Dragam1337, sverek and cerebus23 like this.
  3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They are correct though, as someone who grew up with things like lucky bags as a small child and then stickers as i got older, this sounds like nothing more than a digital version of those things.

Whether those toys were also bad is a different argument though.

fantaskarsef and sverek like this.
  4. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    hmm slot machines aren't gambling then they are surprise money machines.

Dragam1337, angelgraves13 and sverek like this.

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I was going to make a "..." post, but then I realized how much I wanted to tell EA they're wrong. Let's not turn minors into addicts by normalizing gambling. If you're 18+ then gamble all you want.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Sorry not familiar with loot boxes as i avoid MP games, but i'm assuming the comparison to slot machines means you can you win real money with them, or is it just ingame prizes?

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The comparison is that you are paying money for a chance at getting something you want....

Dragam1337 and cerebus23 like this.
  8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So, gambling is ethical. I am losing faith in humanity.
    Hiring a prostitute would be more ethical, since you know what you getting.

This is gambling in digital form. Yes kids back then bought stickers, played gacha, collected cards trying to build collection.
    Loot boxes isn't something completely new, just different form factor.
    But saying that it's ethical is complete dumb.

EA is digging it's own grave.

Dragam1337 and Keitosha like this.
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    EA = All publicist is good publicist even if its bad.

Loot box with rng or rng item with "chance" to get said item is no diffrent then gambling.

you put money in the machine and have chance of getting money back is gambling, you put money in to cash shop you get box that gives chance to get item, is gambling too just different format both have low chances same concept and this is only gone get worse. sooner of later it wont be about the game and how good it is, its gona be how much money they get out the cash shop and the game it self is 2nd

I watch to many games be good then soon as cash shop got introduce the game suffer, any issue and problem in the game that should be fix or addressed to get put on the back burner for years. while problem or issue with cash shop are instantly address.

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    these loot boxes one up the you pay into the things and win something at extremely long odds more or less.

they pattern these off vegas slot machines, and if you are not woke about how those are designed they are deigned to maxamaize your sticking coins into the things.

they have sounds, colors, delays and rewards systems that keep you wanting to open more boxes win or lose. these things hit your biological triggers to give you shot of dopamine or adrenlen hit when you open one and that anticipation up to that let down of not getting that item you want.

and companies like activision and ea are filing patents and surely studying even more ways to paychologically exploit gamers.

and hey i am fine with them targeting adults with this stuff that lest have SOME awareness of the goings ons of these things, but games that chindren are playing is the issue and honestly should not be a part of gaming period to expose kids to this stuff.

people get addicted to gambling through these systems these slot machines and loot boxes employ.

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It's obscene what gamers will put up with now. EA has made stripped down, unfinished versions of their games the new standard and then given you the option to hand over your wallet to play the actual game (if they ever fix it).

F them
    F paid loot boxes
    F Day 1 DLC
    F Day 1 Patches (while we're at it)

cerebus23 and Kolt like this.
  12. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    EA defended them as "ethical and fun", and added that it doesn't call them loot boxes. They are "surprise mechanics", just like surprise toys. Right.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/ea-calls-loot-boxes-surprise-mechanics-and-compares-them-to-kinder-eggs/

surprise mechanic??? wot like when you are driving a brand new car and the engine suddenly bursts into flames in the fast lane? ea really are out of its mind then again my addiction to the slot machines in borderlands 2 is gettin a bit out of hand ive spent way too much cash and time stood in front of them waitin to be fed but at least its in game currency lol

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It is like a surprise toy though, the whole thing reminds me of stickers and how much money was wasted on them when I was a kid.

EA are correct that loot boxes are no different, ethical and fun though??

I personally wouldn't he banning surprise toys and loot boxes, but in the modern snowflake society you can definitely see the argument for it.

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Since when a modern society wasn't a snowflake. You gonna compare with each ancestors that did all the hard job?

Welcome! You are a snowflake, living in a snowflake society :)

Dragam1337, Redemption80 and RzrTrek like this.
  15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I'm afraid there's no other way around it, since the corporations are unwilling to regulate themselves w/wo the help of a regulatory body and even when they do progress is slow.

16. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    True. It seems complaining and worrying is an innate, or at least conditioned from childhood, characteristic. Though maybe our access to the internet nowadays has exploded this unhealthy quality for everyone to now constantly see pervasively.

17. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    F**k this crap tier company. They ruin so many good Ip into the ground and closed down good studios its sickening.

I hope they implode the bunch of pricks and that prick stain CEO (Android Wilson ?) ends up homeless and kicked to the gutter.

This might sound extreme but they have the budget and ips to do amazing stuff but they are too greedy to harness those. Worst publisher of all time since the 2010s for me.

Let's face it Star Wars solo and Command and Conquer remake is just to appease the crowd that called them out.

18. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Technically, there is still a "surprise factor" involved, as there is a chance of "winning" a disease and/or a child. ;)

19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    No surprise. There's tons of money on the line and EA is going to be fighting tooth and claw for it - if they have to redefine the meaning of gambling then so be it.

Hopefully, governments do the right thing and ban them. If left to game companies, PC gaming will turn into what mobile gaming is today - a cesspool of loot boxes and microtransactions. It's hard to resist the lure of easy money.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Valid point, my childhood was considered snowflakey by my dad who was full of stories about freedom and parental beatings. I think it's went too far now, but we always think our own generation is the best so....
    I hadn't realised how bad things like surprise toys and stickers were until EA pointed out the comparison, never done me any harm would be old man response though.
    Stickers/cards technically had "resale" value when you went to school though. AFAIK loot boxes are as worthless as a losing scratch card.

I'm not really a fan of government regulating to protect us from ourselves though. I know it's kids but how are future generations going to turn out if they keep getting wrapped in more and more cotton wool.