Selling my Radeon VII GOLD edition for 2080ti FE?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by AnnekeFloorever, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Hey!

So I finally have the cash for a 2080ti FE and R7 GOLD which I currently own.

I’m building a new PC as my FX-8150 and HD7970 from 2011 are dying.

I have a little bit of buyers remorse because I feel like the only reason I bought R7 was due to the information I read on AMD’s website convinced me regarding butter smooth performance at 4K and less frame drops. I also use Photoshop.

Do you think it would be smart for me to sell the R7 for what I bought it for possibly a bit more and use that money to get a 2080Ti FE?

I don’t do any overclocking , I never have. I probably never will because it feel like that voids the warranty.

I just want 4K60fps butter smooth performance with the least amount of frame drops. Which AMD advertised on their site. Also good performance in Photoshop.

I don’t play any FPS games, I only play indie horror and games like:

Resident Evil 2 Remake
    Evil Within 2
    Dishonored 2
    Upcoming Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2

I just needed an upgrade cause my current parts are dying.

I also don’t know why so many people want us Gold edition brand new R7 if the card is hated so much?

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    If you using a R7 with a FX8150 @ stock at 4k60 then your bottlenecking the R7 performance. Thats why your having issues. You would be better off keeping the the R7 and using the extra $$$ towards a new CPU/MB/MEM/SDD. And overclocking the R7 doesnt void the warranty. Its built right into the AMD software(wattman).

Embra and primetime^ like this.
  3. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Yep that R7 should easily play those games butter smooth at 4k with a new decent system. That card will work magic with the new AMD cpus coming out in a few weeks

4. Oh, I’m not using the R7 with my current cpu. It’s still in the box new. I’m waiting for the new Ryzen CPUs to come out next month . I’m building a new system all together.

5. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    spend the 1200 on the mobo/ram/cpu . toss in that R7 and enjoy, i have a vega64 on water and i play 4k 60 fps on mostly high settings in all games i play ( fps mainly ) the extra horsepowah in that thing will be plenty, if you dont find it performs the way you want , put it on ebay or somethin

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I would definitely set up the new rig first, then decide on the R7. With all the tweaks that can be done in regards to memory speed, plus the benefits of your new CPU/RAM setup, I think your 4K experience will shine.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    First assemble the RIG, then put Vega VII and Test it :p
    if OK then enjoy if not switch.

If You can, go up to 1950MHz/1150HBM2 on VII then You'll be fine w/60FPS 4K gaming.

Mr. Sunshine and The_Amazing_X like this.
  8. Ok, I’ll take this advice.

Can I leave the card running at 1950mhz/1150hbm2?

My buyers remorse came from everyone hating on the card.

I just don’t get it. If every YouTuber like Linus and Gamers Nexus, and even the CEO of Nvidia is calling the card trash...I don’t know why people are still buying it.

I plan on getting:
    3950X
    32GB ram (can anyone recommend ram?)
    H115i cooler (unless there is a better cooler?)

Those are the remaining parts I have to get.

9. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  10. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Stop worrying about what shills and idiots on youtube say, do your own research and make your own decisions. :)

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    :O Shocking!! But seriously, it's his job to trash talk the competition. And to charge you as much money as he can to buy his trinkets. Ignore his stank butt and pop that baby in and OC that memory. :)

AnnekeFloorever likes this.
  12. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    The card is great, yes its not a 2080ti killer it never was, its a 2080 lvl card with more vram. looking back the vega 56 now its at 1080 lvl of performance, with this in mind the R7 will go up in perormance in time, and that 16g of vram will be the main advantage.

Enjoy the card and dont worry its a great card.

13. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Wait before buying hardware and see actual reviews. You will always question whatever you buy without objective professional reviews, like here on Guru3D.

As far as Ryzen 2 parts.. WAIT!!

14. Well, the guru3D says the R7 is one of the best cards out there.

I’m literally going to keep the card because I’ll wait until 2020 for when a really good enthusiast card comes out.

So I appreciate all the replies.

Maybe one of you guys can help me with current dilemma:
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/3900x-or-3950x-best-ram.427260/

15. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
    If your main worlloads are gaming and Photoshop I would go for the 3900x. For memory I like GSkills trident Z stuff. Ryzen loves memory speed so try to find a low latency 3600Mhz kit.

X570 is going to be expensive so you should determine if you need PCIe 4.0 or not. With only a single Nvme drive and a sata HDD you could stand to save a little...save A LOT by getting a high end x470 board.

I have been running custom loops for the last like 5 years so haven't been keeping up with air coolers but any 70ish USD noctua/BeQuiet-ish cooler should be enough for the 3900x to stretch it's legs with XFR.

I personally have a 2700x paired with Radeon VII and I am happy with it. I am also upgrading to Zen 2 next month. I have a microcenter near me though so I am buying the 3900x just because I am impatient. Taking it back when the 3950x comes out and paying the difference (perks of microcenter lol).

If you do decide to go x570, I think it may be worth grabbing two 1TB 660p's (they are like 88 bucks) and striping them (raid 0) to replace your Seagate drive.

16. I was told that for storage and for a drive that I will write a lot too to avoid ssds, but for programs and games put it on a ssd.

Is this true or false?

17. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
    It is true that SSDs have a set amount of write limits but you have to ask your self how much data you write. The 1TB 660p is rated for 200TBW. How long do you think it will take you to write 200TB? If you stripe two of them that essentially gets you 400TBW so then ask yourself again how long is it going to take you to write 400TB?

18. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    $1200USD on CPU/MOBO/RAM in 2019? what

19. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I was simply stating that the 1200 he was willing to spend on the 2080ti could buy all the mentioned items and then some.

The_Amazing_X likes this.
  20. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    The RTX 2080Ti is an amazing card. I have three of them. I actually want to sell one, lol.