$749 Ryzen 9 3950X Beats $2000 Intel Core i9-9980XE(18-core) in Geekbench Test

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The 4 lanes are PCI-E Gen 4, so you're essentially getting 8x 3.0 lanes between the CPU/Motherboard + an additional 20 PCI-E 4 lanes directly from the CPU. I'm sure there will be some configurations where you're limited in bandwidth but this is a consumer part and not HEDT despite core counts.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I hope this is true, but as always will wait to see Hilbert's review. He already confirmed to me that there will be no performance difference from the CPU on x470 vs. x570 and also stated that x470 will support the faster memory for Ryzen 3000. July 7th can't get here fast enough.

Maddness, XenthorX, mohiuddin and 2 others like this.
  3. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Maybe....albeit core counts or just the price of capable motherboards would suggest otherwise.

Honestly I was hoping for a "dedicated" 40 lanes on just the CPU. As that is what I have on my 3930K. I mean that's only six or seven plus years old, so maybe I'm asking to much......??

I just want to be able to turn my rig on once and for all to know I'm actually safe from some sort of vulnerability that Intel (probably knew about to save performance) curtailed for their engineering sakes.

Hence my need for this new build from AMD. Guess I will be waiting for that Threadripper refresh......

That being said if I were to pay upwards of four hundred dollars for a motherboard I personally would consider that HEDT.... With a seven hundred plus dollar CPU.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't know how the overall bandwidth on the 3930K compares to what AMD is shipping with x570 but I think you have to realize there is a fundamental difference between a HEDT part and consumer. This comment I quoted is equivalent to saying "Honestly I was hoping that the new 2019 Honda Civic would have 500lb's of torque as that is what I have on my 2013 Ford F-150 that's six or seven years old"

99.99999% of people running Ryzen consumer parts aren't going to need 40 dedicated lanes off the CPU. Just like no one buying a Civic is going to need to tow a 26' boat behind them. There is no reason for AMD to waste money there when they can either profit more or use the die space/cost they would have saved somewhere else on the platform. If you really need and want that much bandwidth just want for the Threadripper parts based on the new architecture.

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Overall it's a beast with bandwidth. 60+GB/s memory reads and writes.

And everything else it does, but I want to get away from Intel's sorry vulnerabilities as of late. It's no wonder as to how they have held the performance crown for so long. All the short cuts their engineering team did over the years....

6. yeeeeman

yeeeeman Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    Why AMD chooses to not send these CPUs to get reviews on them before being available to buy? They should have allowed reviews after E3 and accept preorders.

Maddness and mohiuddin like this.
  7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Now that would be a sweet spot right there^....hope your right.

Maddness and Undying like this.
  8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Sure this will happen, it always will. Intel are huge, and have some of the most talented guys around. I think you misunderstand some of the people on here shouting about AMD being better or "GO AMD!". They are more than likely not fanboys they are, like me, just happy that AMD finally has something worth talking about. AMD simply never recovered when Intel unleashed the Conroe architecture onto us with the Core 2 series way back in 2006. Its been 13 years since then and AMD is not just on track to finally be able to compete with Intel on the desktop level they are going hard at them at the server level.

Remember server's don't just go up within a few days or weeks they are planned out years in advance. Intel at the current moment don't have any new server parts coming til at least 2021 and with 10nm being such a pain in the ass for them this gives AMD an insane amount of time to gain market share. Remember this is where the big bucks really are, forget about the desktop segment or laptops, AMD are coming in with a CPU that costs HALF of what Intel has, uses less power, has more cores per chip/socket..... these are massive incentives for data centres to use AMD chips.

Then you look at the other areas, consoles they pretty much have that are in the bag. Then look at cloud gaming, they have google stadia and microsofts xcloud in the bag too. Now look at laptops they have seriously strong APU's with excellent graphics all on one chip that smokes Intel's iGPU's. Now look at desktop and with the 3000 series they are matching or beating Intel in performance at a cheaper cost, better thermals and comparable power, with more cores too boot. Now look at phones, with the new Samsung deal we could see Ryzen and RDNA in smartphones.

No matter how you look at it, AMD have made an insane comeback and have targeted every single market.

Sure Intel will fight back, GOOD!! I want them to come back fighting, it only means we as consumers get MUCH better products and prices!

LET THE WAR CONTINUE!!! :D

9. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    Exactly this! In the end.. we will be the most benefited of this great war! AMD did a colossal job last years with Zen and now are dropping what they planted. But people here need to became more humble and accept that today, AMD has the BEST CPU! And when this chips hits the market it will sell a lot and recovery a important market share of Intel. For the next years heads will roll of the blue side until they accept that now they need to stop this strategy of charge too much for a outdated core technology and really bring to costumers performance, innovation with fair prices.... exactly what AMD is doing now!

Maddness and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    They have consumers that have been on intel their whole life :3

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    People said that as a reason there won't be 16 cores on AM4 either ("16 cores on dual-channel won't scale well/will be bottlenecked/etc") so i see no reason to doubt that threadripper will possibly get 64 cores.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  14. Atmosphere__

Atmosphere__ Guest

GPU:
    RX480/8G
    Lol... maybe Raja is trying to buy his way back... ;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    and it proved not to, hence why i think they would have learned the lesson and not considered wasting good cores on an imperfect chip.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Proved not to? Not sure what you mean by that. What proved not to?

As to wasting "good cores on an imperfect chip", not everyone needs the more expensive EPYC systems, nor would benefit from being forced to purchase it.

It's always good to have a tiered system, with little to no gaps. Threadripper 64 cores many people say could eat into EPYC sales, and they are right, but that's only because people are interested in a system that is cheaper then EPYC and are willing to sacrifice the performance benefit of EPYC systems to get it, as it's STILL better performance then anything else below it.

AMD in the end will do whatever makes them money and what makes their customers happy, which is what they should do, they should have zero interest in appeasing people that state they should "not consider wasting good cores on an imperfect chip.", as that's just a bunch of stuck up nonsense.

17. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    LOL, AMD wouldn't want him back. He can stay put.

18. Atmosphere__

Atmosphere__ Guest

GPU:
    RX480/8G
    Lol, hmmm i think they can do a 64 core zen2, just from the am4 perspective they doubled cores on dual channel.
    EPYC would do better with 8ch mem, but on am4 they alleviated the bottleneck partially by adding more, and and smarter, caches.
    As far i can tell anything about scaling of Zen2 single thraded performance wouldnt suffer much..

What could be an issue is the TDP budget imho, 64 cores is a lot of extra power... maybe a 48core would be the sweet spot with tdp budget and clocks in mind

19. Atmosphere__

Atmosphere__ Guest

GPU:
    RX480/8G
    Good point,.. and thinking about it:
    Lol,... o no.. they are trying to get het over to the dark..errr.. blue side as well, ;)

No realistic: i dont think AMD really wanted to get raid of Raja the much, Vega isnt bad. It really is underutilized in gaming, because most GFX pipelines use mostly use fixed functions and dont use the shader way as AMD intended. Adding low ROP count to injury kills a powerhouse design. If the game & driver can feed the GPU as intended, the low ROP count would impact MAX FPS, but would be able to maintain quite high MIN FPS. And the smaller the gap between MIN and MAX will result in more smooth gameplay

Maddness likes this.
  20. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    if the game benchmarks in 1080p are good (unlike previous gen) and it really clocks at 4.7Ghz I'm going AMD
    I said it already in other threads but 16 lanes on the Z390 plateform is not enough for me I already had to give up using thunderbolt 3
    thunderbolt 3
    10gbit ethernet
    more than 1 NVME drive
    USB 3.1 storage
    all those take a huge amount of bandwith and z390 may have lots of pcie, nvme, sata slots but the truth is you can only use the bare minimum or you run out of lanes (sata drives disappear or the os says you must unplug usb)

as a skyrim/fallout 4 modder I'm backing and restoring folders of 60Gbs 60k files several times a day when testing mods two nvme drives rather than one would be awesome

RzrTrek likes this.