Aquantia Users Warning Win10 1903 BSOD

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by MegaFalloutFan, May 23, 2019.

1. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Hello,
    I have 5G Aquantia Pro card and every time I tried to update Windows 10 i got WDF-VIOLATION BSOD during the last step and windows rolled back.
    Im using the latest drivers from their web site: Aquantia_AQtion_Win_v2.1.17
    To update Windows 10 all you need to do is unplug the Ethernet cable and plug into on board LAN or not plugging at all.
    After I successfully updated windows 10 i cant use my Aquantia card, the moment i plug the Ethernet cable i get BSOD with WDF-VIOLATION Error.
    But it works fine with Intel, I sent Aquantia email and im sure we just need updated driver.

Anonymous Jeff and Jackalito like this.
  2. alatariell

alatariell Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090 Aorus
    Hey,

I think i found the problem.

I have also an Aquantia NIC (AQC107) on my Asrock x470 Taichi Ultimate. Exact same problem as described, on Ethernet cable plugin the system BSOD's with an WDF-VIOLATION error. Today there was a driver update: Aquantia_AQtion_Win_v2.1.18. I was hopefull this was the solution, but it wasnt, still BSOD on cable plugin.

Then i did some troubleshooting. I have 2 Win 10 installation on 2 different NVME drives. The 2nd install wasnt giving a BSOD.....strange.....
    The difference between both systems is that the one giving the BSOD was also having the Aquantia AQtion Command Center installed. That program also installs a service which seem to be triggered the moment you plugin the ethernet cable, resulting in the BSOD.

Simply removing/uninstalling
    the Aquantia AQtion Command Center will solve the problem i thought, but that wasnt possible either. The moment You run the uninstaller, the service is also triggered resulting again in a BSOD.

The Solution (was abit painfull).

I was able to do remove the service by manually removing it:

1) a) You can also remove services using a command line. Hold down the Windows Key, then press “R” to bring up the Run dialog.Type “SC DELETE servicename“, then press “Enter“.
    b) The servicename you find in windows services (sorry, forgot the exact name but it starts with AQ***)
    2) After that i manually removed the Aquantia directories from "Program Files" and also did some manual cleaning in the windows registry searching for the string "Aqu". i think this step is optional
    3) installed the Aquantia_AQtion_Win_v2.1.18 drivers to make sure the driver and setting are correct again.
    4) plugin the network cable and all was good again, no BSOD

If you are on Windows 10 build 1809, make sure to uninstall the "Aquantia AQtion Command Center" before upgrading to Windows 1903 otherwise you might possibly run into this issue.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  3. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Email their customer support there is solution, a reg file + some steps

4. alatariell

alatariell Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090 Aorus
    Emailed them with the info from here. Waiting now on reaction from support :p

5. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    There are the instructions they sent me

1. Apply reg file from the archive
    2. Reboot system
    3. Install AQtion_Command_Center_x64_v1.1.113.0-whql.msi installer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwrgy0co0i2ew7c/AQtion_Command_Center_x64_v1.1.113.0-whql.msi?dl=0
    4. Perform forced uninstall of 113 packages via MSI file: msiexec /x AQtion_Command_Center_x64_v1.1.113.0-whql.msi /passive /l uninstall.log
    5. Install AQCC 1.1.114 from our web-site: https://www.aquantia.com/products/software/

The reg file is basically single change, here it is, you can do it manually:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AQCalloutSrv]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

6. alatariell

alatariell Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090 Aorus
    Thanks for sharing :)

Ended up putting back the backup and follow the steps. They work indeed. The AQCalloutservice seems to be the culpit indeed in 1903. Everything working now again :)

7. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Does the Command center works for you?
    Before i received the instructions i tried and fixed it myself, i loged into safe mode, checked which files are Aquantilla, searched for them in windows folder and deleted and it worked.
    But for some reason when i install the latest version of command center now it doesn't work, the program starts up but the service doesnt, it turns on and off, on and off

8. alatariell

alatariell Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090 Aorus
    Hey,

Just checked it. When starting the command center it didnt work, the button stayed greyed out. Must be something with the service. I stopped the service, set it to manual, apllied settings, put it back to automatic and apllied again. Started the service and the command center works. Rebooted the pc and the service starts correct now, command center works. Hope they update command center too since this whole process feel buggy.

What you can do is just completely unistall command center from add/remove programs, reboot, install latest version again to see if it sorts itself out (service). Did you update to fhe latests aquantia driver also (2 1.8)?

Did not get a response from Aquantia support.....yet

9. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Can you write step by step how you fixed it?

Ill try on my side.

10. alatariell

alatariell Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090 Aorus
    Got a mail update from aquantia support today:

Thank you for contacting AQN Support.

We have recently released a new version of AQCC that is supported in the latest Windows 10 1903.

You can now download the latest version athttps://www.aquantia.com/products/software/

Going to try this out tonight.

11. alatariell

alatariell Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090 Aorus
    Just installed it, no issues here

12. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Its the 1.1.114 version that im having issues with, it doesnt work, the service starts and turns off

13. alatariell

alatariell Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090 Aorus
    Weird stuff. I had weird stuff too whe i fiddled too much with the registry. Hence i putted back my acronis backup to do the changes support mailed you.

For now i would this:

- plug you ethernet cable into the 2nd nic (intel?) Assuming youbhave 2 nics
    - completely uninstall all Aquantia software and the network driver as well
    - Reboot
    - Check if the service is gone
    - check the registry still contains AQCalloutSrv in the service section. Their might be 2 more services.
    - Reboot
    - install the driver
    - plug in your cable into the Aquantia Nic
    - Reboot
    - Install the command center software
    - Reboot
    - Test