The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Since there is no review out yet, it's still possible lol

2. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Did they forget a I in black ops or are they really referring to the 3rd one?

3. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I heard rumors, some guy on you-tube said they are going to overclock like the AM3+ did but he couldn't give details I forgot who it was. I can't wait to see how they actually do. I just can't get myself to drop the money on new 3800X yet, might wait till next gen because I would also want new MB and I spent alot on my Asus CH VII x470 so dropping even more for a 570 would just be too much right now I'm sure the Asus 570's will cost more than my 470 did. So I guess I'll wait a year see what happens my 2700 isn't bad so I can wait awhile it will be tuff though... lol And then there is RAM, ect., ect., Hilbert's testing should shed some light as to whats up.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Windows 10's May 2019 Update includes AMD Zen Optumisations

Microsoft's Windows 10 May 2019 update packs a lot of changes, but one of the most notable changes, from our perspective, is the OS' updated scheduler, which is now "Ryzen-aware".

This change makes Windows 10 more aware of the design and core topology of AMD's Ryzen and Ryzen Threadripper series processors, enabling performance upticks for both existing and future (Ryzen 3rd Generation) processors,
    with AMD noting a 6% boost in PCMARK 10's App Launch Test and 15% faster in Rocket League at 1080p Low settings.

With the May Update, Windows 10 will know how to best utilise the characteristics of Ryzen, placing work within a single CCX when core-core latencies are important while also offering faster clock speed ramping,
    a factor which will make AMD's Ryzen processors more responsive when clock speeds are adjusted. This change allows clock speed selection to happen in 1-2ms, rather than around 30ms.

These changes make Windows 10's May update a must have OS update for Ryzen processors, as it will allow systems to become more responsive and increase hardware utilisation.
    Ultimately, this update is great news for AMD users, especially given the current OS landscape, where many customers fear that the latest mitigations for speculative execution vulnerabilities will lower their system's performance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jagman, SplashDown and Webhiker like this.

5. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    An actual reason to upgrade to 10 now ...lol

AsiJu likes this.
  6. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I wonder if task manager will actually read the proper core speed?

7. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Hey bud, I thought that AMD said that there was no problem with scheduler a while ago, they said it was a workload thing with workload crossing between the chiplets or CCX's.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    They fixed something for sure.
    3Dmark Overall score bump is at ~50-60% better !
    Overal gaming experience is even smoother now (WinX 1903)

9. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    50 - 60% for which CPU ?
    What power scheme are you all running ? I used to run windows balanced, but every time I install
    AMA4 chipset drivers it's back to Ryzen balanced :-(

10. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I have park control from Bitsum installed so I'm running Bitsum Highest Performance, but I'm on Win7 right now.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Custom Ryzen Balanced + Elmor AsusZenStates
    Rest is as usuall.

-> https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/19393977/fs/19328287#

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    16/32 Zen2 w/4133 DDR4 :p (similar to my RAM)

[​IMG]

6/12 Zen2 w/3200MHz DDR4

[​IMG]

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD X570 Puts Out Up To Twelve SATA 6G Ports and Sixteen PCIe Gen 4 Lanes

AMD X570 is the company's first in-house design desktop motherboard chipset for the AM4 platform. The company sourced earlier generations of chipset from ASMedia.
    A chipset in context of the AM4 platform only serves to expand I/O connectivity, since an AM4 processor is a full-fledged SoC, with an integrated southbridge that puts out SATA and USB ports directly from the CPU socket, in addition to LPCIO (ISA),
    HD audio bus, and SPI to interface with the firmware ROM chip.
    The X470 "Promontory Low Power" chipset runs really cool, with a maximum TDP of 5 Watts, and the ability to lower power to get its TDP down to 3W. The X570, on the other hand, has a TDP of "at least 15 Watts."
    A majority of the X570 motherboards we've seen at Computex 2019 had active fan-heatsinks over the chipset. We may now have a possible explanation for this - there are just too many things on the chipset.

According to AMD, the X570 chipset by itself can be made to put out a staggering twelve SATA 6 Gbps ports (not counting the two ports put out by the AM4 SoC).
    A possible rationale behind this may have been to enable motherboard designers to equip every M.2 slot on the motherboard with SATA wiring in addition to PCIe, without needing switches that reroute SATA connection from one of the physical ports.
    It's also possible that AMD encouraged motherboard designers to not wire out SATA ports from the AM4 SoC as physical ports to save costs on switches, and dedicate one of them to the M.2 slot wired to the SoC.
    With the two SATA ports from the SoC out of the equation, and every other M.2 slot getting a direct SATA connection from the chipset, motherboard designers can wire out the remaining SATA ports as physical ports, without spending money on switches,
    or worrying about customer complaints on one of their drives not working due to automatic switching. This is an extreme solution to a rather simple problem.

The second major component of the X570 chipset is its on-die PCIe switching fabric. The chipset talks to the AM4 SoC over a PCI-Express 4.0 x4 connection (8 GB/s).
    The chipset has a PCIe root complex that puts out 16 downstream PCI-Express gen 4.0 lanes. This allows motherboard manufacturers to deploy two additional M.2 NVMe slots with full PCIe gen 4.0 x4 wiring, in addition to the slot wired to the AM4 SoC.
    The remaining lanes can be wired out as U.2 ports, a PCIe x4 (physical x16) expansion slot, and to connect other bandwidth-hungry onboard devices such as 10GbE PHYs, 802.11ax WLAN controllers, Thunderbolt 3 controllers, and USB 3.1 gen 2 controllers.

Speaking of USB, we arrive at the third big thing on the X570, integrated USB 3.1 gen 2. We learn that 3rd generation Ryzen "Matisse" SoCs put out four 10 Gbps USB 3.1 gen 2 ports.
    Current-generation "Pinnacle Ridge" processors put out four 5 Gbps USB 3.1 gen 1 ports in its place. The X570 chipset adds to this in a big way.
    Apparently, the chipset puts out a staggering eight 10 Gbps USB 3.1 gen 2 ports (not counting the ports from the SoC), without needing any external controllers.
    This takes the total USB 3.1 gen 2 port count on the AMD "Valhalla" platform to 12. To put this number into context, Intel Z390 chipset only puts out six USB 3.1 gen 2 ports, none directly from the processor.

AMD finally beats Intel in the PCIe budget numbers-game. The 3rd generation Ryzen "Matisse" processor puts out 24 PCIe gen 4.0 lanes.
    Add this to the 16 PCIe gen 4.0 lanes from the X570 chipset, and you arrive at 44 lanes (including the chipset bus). This beats the 40 lanes when you combine a "Coffee Lake Refresh" processor with a Z390 Express chipset (16 + 24).
    It's important to note here that Intel is still stuck with PCIe gen 3.0 on its 9th generation Core platform. The Ryzen "Picasso" APU silicon only puts out 16 PCIe gen 4.0 lanes, hence we arrive at 36 lanes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Here is the real truth on the Ryzen/Windows thing.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070

16. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Yes, it looks like we need a new chipset driver before the new scheduler will become active in Win 1903. I actually thought it was already enabled.

17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    When it happens it will be nice ,I am even thinking now should I even bother trading in my 2600X for a couple FPS for 4K gaming.Good times for AMD ,gotta love it.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    New bios out today for the C6H, version 7003.

No description aside from stating that it is version 7003.

19. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    MSI has one dated July 3 (19.10.08), that from the looks of it has an updated Ryzen power plan in it (2.02 to 4.00). Also looks to be the onlly updated driver in it.

Edit. Just had a look at Asrock's site and they have it as well, "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:19.10.08_19H1_WHQL".

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV