AMD Ryzen 9 3950X: Overclocked to 5 GHz Allcore faster than Intel Core i9

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    therefore useless.

Ryzen 2700x been overclocked to 6GHz+ on LN2, it doesn't mean anything for 99.9999999% of consumers.
    I think LN2 should be mentioned in the title. This sounds like bait, imo.

On the other hand, now we know that 5GHz is not happening on AIO or air.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Thats a pretty steep power increase there.
    I know its 4.7 on one core vs 5 on all cores, but still.

It seems that as we get smaller and smaller process nodes, the power curve is much steeper at the top end.
    weeks to go until the review NDA drops though....

mohiuddin likes this.
  4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Guess Intel and AMD just saving overclockers a hassle and already pushes hardware to its limits.
    So if it says 4.7GHz, it's as far as it gets on the consumer grade cooling, no more room for OC without special equipment.

Evildead666 likes this.

5. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    It's months for the 3950x unfortunately.

6. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Well apparently Boost override can add an extra 200MHz but apparently you need an X570 motherboard to use it, maybe why so many X570 have no doublers and big phases 12+. Might be
    part of the specification to have the phase frequency high so single phases are required for the boost override to function. I am going to use mine in a X370 for the time being intill i see a good X570.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    My heart jumped when I saw the title, was well excited , Hilbert; ' You got me going there. ' - as above, I also agree.

Get a cpu and spoil all the effort that went into the making of it and ruin it. Just as bad as peeling a whole bag of spuds and then frying until they are not edible, a waste :p:D

8. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Lol! What was my words yesterday about AMD being waaay overpriced with Navi... I will say it again... RX 5700 belong in the $249 range and RX 5700XT belong in the $299 range.
    GTX 2070 Super will walk over the RX 5700XT. Basically in every way.

signex and olymind1 like this.
  9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    As useless as the Intel OC with LN2.
    But people like to compare.
    If it did not it 5ghz on 16 cores with LN2 i would have been worried.

10. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Does that have 16 cores?

This shows progression from previous, even if they did it in an extreme environment. Let's see what happens in the normal envelope.

DrHansGruber likes this.

11. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm sure a lot of you guys would drink boiling water and then piss icecubes....

Who took the fun out of new tech hardware? You did you fuckers.

Stop procreating chewing on lemons all day long.

I'm over 50 and still excited about it after all these years. Grow up. But not grow up as old as me :)

Aura89 likes this.
  12. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Completely irrelevant to the current topic of conversation.

AMD must be doing something right as the 5800 ultra fanboys are getting worried enough to post again :D They have been hibernating ....

DrHansGruber likes this.
  13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Here is your candy, get excited!
    Oh wait, you need LN2 to have it. I am sorry old chap, facts got twisted a bit.

But it's ok, you are excited anyway, right? Cause the fact remain true that you almost got a candy! YAY :D

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    As far as I've understood, Intel's better CPUs are shipped with that ozone layer destroying industrial cooler the size of a big shop-vac. It's not special equipment if it comes with the CPU.

15. Dozet3

Dozet3 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    You're in LaLa land if you thought the 16 core cpu can get 5ghz all core oc without LN2...

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I'm pretty sure those intels were also on LN2. You don't really see world records without LN2

Question is, how will these AMD chips run on "normal" cooling, compared to Intel.

Evildead666 likes this.
  17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Jesus 1.6v. Guessing the max for the chip is going to be somewhere in the 4.5 range on all cores.

19. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Do we know if this 1.6V goes inside the CPU chiplets or the I/O Chiplet runs on 1.6V and the CPU Chiplets run on lower voltage ?[maybe we should stop thinking in monolithic way?]

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I don't understand the obsession with all cores, although I can see why it would provide the highest numbers in a select few situations.

I mean, beyond high scores in specific highly threaded applications, an extra few hundred MHz will have very little effect in computational work, and in games you'll find threads being limited to pretty low numbers on a regular basis. My point being, it would be much more interesting to see a processor do 6.0 GHz as its max turbo, that way you know you'll have the extra power in thread limited situations, which is usually when you need it the most.

It's a bit like Intel releasing that 5.0 GHz all core special edition processor, which is not much use in pretty much any situation, other than appealing to a select few who seem to have an unhealthy fascination with equal frequencies on all cores. Also, let's not forget higher temps and unnecessary power usage, all when you could simply run much higher turbo clocks on pretty much the same voltage. Of course, the only draw back being you couldn't use load line calibration, which is far from ideal any way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2019
    schmidtbag likes this.