Graphics are stagnant.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Serotonin, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    After this years E3, man...is it just me? I am so tired of the graphics games currently have. Everything still reminds me of the DX9 era, with ...a pretty frosting on top of it, or coated over it.

Everything looks the same. I suppose you can blame that on art direction as well. But seriously. Cyberpunk 2077, as much as I want to play and enjoy the story, looks the same as everything else. Surge 2, Doom 500, Call of Duty 4,398 and so on. Really was hoping for something to stand out this year. But I guess this is the end of an era. New consoles can't come soon enough. I say that as a PC gamer that understands how held back the power of PC is, thanks to that bastard word, parity.

toyo, Keitosha, Shataan and 4 others like this.
  2. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yep, we'll have to wait for the next gen consoles to see a leap in graphics ( and hopefully physics and AI as well )

Serotonin likes this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It is due to hardware limitations... we are at the end of the current console gen, which sadly means that all games are still being catered to them, and thus limited by them.

With next console gen, we will see the next jump in graphics.

Maddness and Serotonin like this.
  4. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    Uru and Myst Online have great art design but the textures are so blah which has caused me to move on to more recent releases like the ones you've mentioned. At least they have more detail as far as sharper surfaces but I notice the sameness you've described.

I can probably name a recent game release that I think may be an exception to everything looking the same but other posters may do that. And anyway you may be right.

Serotonin likes this.

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    atm higher def vr and 8k for the mega rich, seem to be the focus and frame rate is a concern for vr especially i imagine as the world gets more real looking.

so yea how much can they push for those resolutions and uses?

if we were stuck at 4k maybe they could afford to push better textures and polys. but the race for more pivels and we needz framez for teh vrz, because people get sick. and they need more people to adopt the stuff. lest the new rigs look pretty interesting lighter and better res, a generation or two more these headsets should be hella impressive.

Serotonin likes this.
  6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    It's due to business decisions. Half gamers are on mobile, other half is split equally between PCs and consoles.
    Out of those on PC, only 13% have a GPU stronger or equal to GTX1070.

Technically, if you take the fundamentals, games today are using the same tools as crysis 3 back in 2013, tesselation has become widespread over everything for instance.
    But DX9, you're pushing :rolleyes:.

Aside from graphics power, if you take a game like Uncharted 4, it really shows that despite underwhelming hardware, qualified and talented people can achieve already a lot.

jbscotchman, serbicu and Serotonin like this.
  7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Wasn't Crysis 3, DX9? How hard am I really pushing that? Lol ;)
    I don't see how mobile comes into play yet. Most mobile games are stand alone, not ports of console games where they share the same engine. And even if they did, engines like Unreal 4 can scale extremely well. So yeah...everything still looks like Crysis 3.

I will say you're absolutely spot on with Uncharted 4. That was a pleasure to play. Gameplay, story and graphics. I ran through that game twice. I hardly ever play a game more than once completely through.

Red dead revolver 2 so far, is visually very nice, but the controls are so sluggish and sloppy that I can't do it. I've tried playing that game so many times and cannot get passed the piss poor aiming and slow movement. The framerate is all over the place as well. Shame they didn't port that to PC while it was still relevant.

XenthorX likes this.
  8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    You're free to have your own opinion about Cyberpunk 2077, but I've to disagree. It doesn't look like anything I've seen before and looks even more impressive with raytracing.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I think the problem is that DX12 hasn't really offered much of a visual upgrade over DX11.

angelgraves13, XenthorX and Serotonin like this.
  10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    It doesn't even offer much in the way of performance considering how many games stutter when it's enabled. I've said it before, DX12 won't work right until consoles are built for it. Shame, too.

11. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    While I like good looking games, I'll take gameplay over graphics any day of the week. Current fidelity doesn't bother me one bit.

12. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I agree. But it feels like it's been close to a decade of the same visuals. I'll still play snes games that seem timeless. But...bleeding edge technology, it would be nice to have a game or games that took advantage of such. And not just some sprinkled rtx effects or hair works.

ramthegamer and Strange Times like this.
  13. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    With consoles now prioritizing higher resolutions and FPS; I doubt we will see a leap in graphics anytime soon. We will need to see an innovation in gaming hardwares first, and the better graphics will follow. What Crysis did right back in 2007, was it pushed to the limit features the hardwares at the time had to offer. In recent years, and excluding RTX; even if all the features of newer hardwares were utilized, it would still look like a 2012/2013 game (some of which still looks fantastic by the way).

Serotonin and cerebus23 like this.
  14. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Most games have decent graphics these days, so I am not too concerned with that -- but of course, better graphics are always appreciated. I am more interested in the gameplay, story, art, sound, and cohesiveness of a game as a whole. Just my personal preference.

Serotonin likes this.
  15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yeah I get that. I actually saw a clip of FEAR the other day, and it hadn't aged nearly as bad as I would have guessed, and that was 2005!
    BF:BC2 from 2010 still looks good too, even if it lacks more recent fx.

Serotonin likes this.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I always write this when people talk about stagnant graphics: the more realism in the picture the less imagination you need. When you read the book (no image at all) your imagination is busy 200%. When you watch a movie your imagination is idle because people from the movie crew used their imagination to create the content.

I remember when I played Thief: Dark Project (first game in series) I was deeply immersed in it not because of the tech level of graphics, but because of the atmosphere, art style, the story.

Celcius, toyo, G*addict and 2 others like this.
  17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    to a degree, but if you really want to work your imagination read a book. or learn something new.

The more hd graphics get especially as vr gets better and more affordable. the more muh immersion can kick in, to the point that a world that is looking real enough can fool your brain into thinking it is in a real world space. vr movies, pron is already huge business pushing vr, but surely a portable personal hd vr screen for many is probably pretty nice to have especially in small spaces, compared to the size of a 4k 8K screen, and they also tend to be cheaper. sims are making a bit of a comeback and your talking a demographic that spends a ton on hardware and sim rigs, vr is near ideal for them and cheaper and easier to run than 3 high res displays, and your immersion is better to boot. probably knock a few 1000 off your sim freaks sim pod build using a vr headset vs mounting monitors.

Serotonin likes this.
  18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Uuuh... Gamer and Mobile shouldn't be used in the same sentence :p

Serotonin and XenthorX like this.
  19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Fooling the brain is not equal to immersion. You are not immersed in watching at everything that is going around you in real life. You are immersed in something your brain reckons interesting (or important).

Serotonin likes this.
  20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    We are adding high end features, but it's a subtle difference for a high performance hit. It will be worth it 3-4 years down the road, but i understand it's hard to be patient.

IMO graphics are stagnant for two reasons, one is the obvious one and is just because we are well into the point of diminishing returns.

It's a simplification, but it's like video quality. VHS-DVD then DVD to BluRay, then BluRay to UHD then UHD to 8k.

The second is is due to the fact high framerates is becoming the norm.

Expecting pre-rendered quality, or even close to pre-rendered at 4k and/or 120fps is unrealistic. Last i heard even mega budget movies and animated movies are rendered at 2k/24.

cerebus23 and Serotonin like this.