AMD NAVI Radeon 5700 Product Announcement thread

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 10, 2019.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Not a fan at all of that reference cooler, this thing is gonna run hot.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This should have been the launch price with that transistor count and recycled PCB. I like the cards but I’m also being real here. At least Nvidia tried something groundbreaking with RTX (it wasn’t adopted at the rate they hoped but they tried to push something that could add to IQ).

3. who the hell is going to buy these when you can buy these for less.
    [​IMG]

OnnA, Undying and Maddness like this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yet most of this forum did not jump RTX ship. And I think people who state that prices are bad are having trouble putting things into right perspective.

If RTX series been released in way Navi was, everyone would be happy. What's that way?
    5~15% more performance & 10% lower price tag. That by itself is a lot.

So, do imagine RTX 2070 actually performing 10% better out of the box and being priced $450. (Or having same performance, but being 20% cheaper => $400 price)
    => Isn't it exactly what are guys dreaming of in "Super" silent thread?
    I would advise you to change approach. Instead of claiming bolded part, go and lead by example. Buy that 2070.
    You already know where 5700 XT stands, no reason to wait if you are not going to buy it. Just get that alternative you speak of since it is here now.

carnivore likes this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I just noticed the other day I could buy Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse for 299 euros. It's considerably less than what I paid for my 390. However, I don't really feel like buying it.

6. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Yes, I do... Given the recent events with AMD, why not? It's time for Nvidia to finally drop something for us. And I was talking obviously for the rumored 2060 Super. In this case, if the dream for the Super 2060 come true at 250-260$ I might jump despite being owner of 10 series card and can easily hold for the next gen, first quarter of 2020.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  7. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Yeah, well, nowadays since moore's law comes to an end, we don't see as big as older times results. The millimeters dropping are too little currently. Nvidia was the last great thing when from 28nm GTX960 went to 16nm GTX 1060. It was almost +80 more powerful, more VRAM and almost same wattage. I understand we won't be seeing such miracles anymore. After the 7nm, I guess their focus will shift elsewhere. Innovation to other parts, perhaps architecture, some new things that might or might not catch etc. Perhaps it will be good for us when they will allocate a lot of recourses from node shrinking to other kind of innovation.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Thing described is like $220 to make on 14nm. Like $200 if you keep it 6GB instead of mentioned 8GB.

If product costs $200 to make and it is sold for $250, who's going to make what amount of money on it?
    nVidia per chip?
    AIB for assembly of parts?
    Entire supply chain?
    Shop?

Write how much do you think everyone should make. And then elaborate on how those mentioned groups will not bail-out from this sorry unprofitable business.
    It could work only if it is directly assembled by nVidia and sold by them. But it would kill AIBs.

9. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Honestly I see Navi as a total let down at this price point. The way I look at it is Vega 56 (with a lot more expensive memory) can be found for $299 on Amazon and RX 5700 will be on that performance level so basically you will pay a extra $80 for nothing...? Besides with proper mods the Vega 56 will most probably beat the RX 5700. AMD even with the new architecture doesn’t really bring anything groundbreaking to the table... RDNA looks more like a optimization of GCN5.1.
    Now with that said I honestly don’t see how anyone will spend $450 on a GPU with similar performance to the RTX 2070, but uses more power and no real time ray tracing cores or support at the thine atleast?
    The truth is people will opt for the Nvidia alternative even @ $99 more. It’s just the way it is... AMD think they can come in at the same performance level but using more power and less support in new gaming features for only $50 less? Lol! Good luck with that kind of thinking. Besides once Nvidia release the S version of their RTX cards for even less than their current cards, the margins on price will be even closer to AMD and the performance most probably better.

Personally the RX 5700 should be sold @ $249 and the RX 5700 XT @ $299. Then I will agree and say it’s actually a good deal, but @ $379 & $449... Get out of here and stop making jokes.

10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Considering Navi is 251mm^2 which is very small for a GPU, big navi could double the shader engine blocks and come in under 500nm^2 likely closer to 450mm^2. That would likely land them a little faster than the 2080 Ti probably very close to the new Super 2080 Ti. I do hope they make big Navi somewhere in this ballpark. They do need to use TSMC's 7nm+ using EUV to keep the power down which I suspect is exactly why big Navi is on hold until early 2020.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, Vega 56 can have RX 5700 performance... With 30% OC.
    Maybe you can 1st check what are main differences between GCN and RDNA.

I still miss knowledge of 4 important parts. 2 which were changed, and 2 which may have been changed due to working together with things that have been changed.
    And even with above, I am quite impressed.
    - - - -

And as written above. Those cards have certain manufacturing cost. And everyone involved has to make some money form each card. YOu expect them to make almost nothing.
    Prices you suggest are so low that AMD would recoup price of tapeout maybe after selling 10Million cards.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    So you want a AMD gpu that performs the same as nvidia for 150$ less? Are you even thinking? You want they give them away for free maybe?

Evildead666 and Loophole35 like this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They'd have a power problem if the current usage is already around ~225w.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I think $329 and $399 is reasonable though. The 5700 is currently priced higher than the 2060 (it out performs it in AMD favoring games but how it does in the real world is yet to be seen).

Yes and no. Nvidia does it all the time by lowering the base and boost clocks for the larger chips to keep TDP in check.

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    some of you guys over look the main point we all want adressed
    so we have been in the amd silent while NVidia raised the bar on prices world quite some time now
    amd gets 7nm and already we have nv price drops super duper cards and procreating price wars which is the bottom line.

amd cards were so piggy its gave them the step up they needed plus amd so you know the price will fall if needed.
    not a whole lot to bitch about

16. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    For everyone that disagree with what I said, I gave you all my opinion the way I see the launch going down.
    Currently Vega 56 can be found for $299 and Vega 64 for €349. Both is a hell of a lot cheaper than what the Navi cards will be, yet their die size is basically double the size and their memory is a lot more expensive... Yet they have the same performance than what the new Navi cards will have... So how on earth can a person justify the price gain? Also RTX 2070 has more to offer than what Navi has to offer so that story about same performance for the same price falls out of favor especially given the fact that Nvidia is the way to go for the majority of the people out there no matter the cost.
    I’m not against AMD at all. I just think that with what they’re bringing to the table is not the value for money that we all like about AMD. They’re truly asking the same amount of money as Nvidia for less of a product... That’s where I’m going with this.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, I just don't think it would be realistic for them to "double the shader engine" - bigger, sure - double? Don't think it's worth it, especially on 7nm with the higher cost per transistor. They'd be better off just trying to scale the size at current clocks to 300w imo. I don't really know enough about the new architecture to know how well it scales either though.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    64CU is what I expect from largest Navi.

19. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Was wondering if they have lifted that limitation with RDNA. At E3 Lisa said the architecture is scalable so I was kind of thinking that was a little hint they might have lifted this limitation.

Evildead666 likes this.
  20. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    About pricing.

Let's just see where the actual performance falls in line after reviews (Especially Guru3D), then we can argue whether the pricing is fair of not.