Microsoft next-gen Xbox, codenamed “Project Scarlett” powered by a custom AMD CPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 10, 2019.

1. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    The first XBox was quite powerful. I remember being impressed by how good the port of DOOM 3 was. But MS lost a truck load of money on it.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    First thing's first, if you're gonna come into this topic just to troll, stop.

Second, let's calm down on the double posting. There is legit an edit button.

G80 was out by the time the PS3 was launched, and the R600 was as well. The GPU in the 360 was r600 based but gimped(while the r600 chip itself was already gimped)

Aura89, Loobyluggs and XP-200 like this.
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Why is it that every time a console is released, people complain about the specs as though it will run equivalently to a PC? It's been proven over and over again that games for consoles are heavily optimized. If a game has a PC release, go ahead and run that game with specs equivalent to the console (or as close as you can get) and you'll see how poorly it runs in comparison.

As far as I'm concerned, Project Scarlett actually has better specs than I was expecting them to have.

Aura89 and Ricepudding like this.
  4. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    IMO, The attraction of consoles has always been what they cost as opposed to what they can do, and what you can do with them. Buy console = pay less for mediocre hardware upfront, get gouged on the back end by very inflexible game pricing. Owning a console is being licensed to get ripped off, imo, because what can you do with a game console except to buy games for it? The people behind the cheap consoles know this very well, hence their eagerness to subsidize console costs to more than make it all up on the software licensing end. With a personal computer, you can do so much more than just buy games for it, it you want, and the price and selection of game software is much, much better. Additionally, the PC is always the cutting edge of console R&D--today's console is yesterday's SOA PC hardware, economy style. Before all consoles went to lower-end x86 PC designs from AMD, consoles were far less powerful than the current crop, so software optimization was a big deal in the early console days--if you didn't heavily optimize--lots of times that meant machine language or its near-equivalent--you wound up with a slide show console! But today's consoles both use OSes--and the xBox is using Win10, actually--albeit a stripped down, core version. The consoles today are x86 "PC's" designed by AMD, but without the hardware expansion/upgrade capabilities, of course. A certain degree of optimization is used in console games even today, of course, but it's nowhere near as critical a thing as it was in the early days for consoles. Example of what I mean is that approximately 18 months-two years before the first PS4 shipped, I'd already been using its AMD GPU in a discrete 3d card from AMD--except that my card at the time had some advantages the PS4 never had--such as its own dedicated pool of local ram from which to texture--as opposed to shared ram for the PS4, my card had a higher clock, much faster local bus, and etc. But then, my 3d card cost by itself what the entire PS4 sold for at the time, and so on.

5. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    That's why I worded that the way I did in reference to the PS3.

I also have no idea what you're talking about with the R600 and the xbox 360. R600 didn't launch until summer 2007. The Xbox 360 came out in November 2005 not long after R500. Any way you cut it, the Xbox 360 GPU was cutting edge at the time. It was almost a year later before the PC market saw a unified shader design (G80).

Tech Lord 2020x1 likes this.
  6. The Xbox Scarlett is using an absolute monster ass full RDNA Hardware accelerated Ray Tracing Navi 20 based 5900XT Gpu which will have about 15.6 teraflops which is 4 times the power of the X when you factor in Navi has a nearly 35% ipc increase over polaris which gives a 15.6 teraflop Navi Gpu the equivalent of a 24 teraflops Polaris Gpu as that's what Microsoft means by 4 times more powerful......

The Pc gamer denial & damage controlling needs to just stop already as you guy's need to come to terms with the reality that Microsoft is attempting to use Xbox Scarlett to merge the entire eco system under the Xbox unbrella as they're on track to eliminate the overpriced Pc gaming market as Xbox Scarlett will be the final nail in the coffin for Pc as you simply cannot build a Pc in late 2020 for a penny less than $1850 dollars to match the power, and performance capabilities of Xbox Scarlett, and even the most powerful current Pc tech such as Vega 7 & Rtx 2080ti which cost about $799 to $1499 respectively will be significantly outperformed, and outpowered by Xbox Scarlett for a very tiny fraction of the cost of around $599 max for the entire system which not only includes a true next Gen full rdna based Navi 20 Gpu with advanced hardware accelerated Ray tracing which will cost Pc gamers at least $899 to $999 to buy next Year at retail consumer msrp price alone by itself as a next Gen enthusiast level Gpu, and then we gotta factor in that Xbox Scarlett will also have an 8 core 16 thread 7nm Ryzen 3700x based 3.6ghz high end gaming Cpu which is another $329 dollars for Pc gamers, and then we got a custom pie 4.0 ssd drive, 24gb of gddr6 system memory, x570 chipset motherboard, etc etc all included for just $599 when a Navi 20 Gpu & 3700x Cpu will cost Pc gamers around $1200 to $1300 dollars alone just for that level of next Gen Cpu & Gpu not including everything else which will easily cost another $650 dollars minimum for x570 motherboard, 1tb to 2tb pcie 4.0 ssd drive, 24gb gddr6 system memory, power supply, etc as Pc won't even have gddr6 system memory as they'll only have that for their Gpu's as Pc is using gddr4 system memory for the foreseeable future, and so all in all Pc gamers will need to spend about $1850 to $1950 dollars at retail consumer pricing to build a Pc which will match Xbox Scarlett....

8 core 16 thread 3.6ghz custom Ryzen 3700x based high end gaming Cpu, Navi 20 custom 5900XT Hardware accelerated Ray Tracing 15.6 teraflop full rdna Gpu, pcie 4.0 custom ssd drive's, x570 chipset motherboards to support full pcie 4.0, plus about 24gb of ultra fast gddr6 system memory, etc etc as current high end Pc tech simply cannot compete with next Gen Xbox Scarlett period.......

Xbox Scarlett will have approximately 4 times the power of the X from a pure processing perspective of which is the exact words of the engineer's, and so that means both 4 times the Cpu processing power, and 4 times the Gpu processing power as that's literally what it means.....

Those Saying that's impossible cause of Price simply don't know how it works but I'll educate all of ya right now as For example Navi 20 based 5900XT is gonna cost Pc gamers at least $899 but Microsoft only pays 33% of retail price for mass produced console hardware which means the same Gpu that will cost a Pc gamer $899 cost Microsoft only about $296.67 per Gpu, and the same example for Cpu as a Pc gamer will pay $329 for the Ryzen 3700x but MIcrosoft will pay only $108.57 per Cpu....... So Yea $296.67 + $108.57 = $405.24 as that's what Microsoft will pay for it's Gpu & Cpu while Pc gamers will pay full retail price which is $1,228 dollars vs Microsoft's cost of just $405.24 since their cost is about 33% of retail consumer price....

Now you understand how this console can pack this insane level of power, and performance, and ultra high end custom Pc tech while still being affordable since they pay only about 33% of retail consumer prices for their mass produced console hardware ..........

Lastly I'll just say that Everyone saying that Native 8k isn't possible on next Gen Xbox Scarlett are the same people who said there's no way in Hell Xbox Scorpio could do Native 4k yet here we are, and the XboxOneX not only does Native 4k but it achieves it in vast open world graphically demanding game's like Red Dead Redemption 2 as an example so yea the same guy's saying the X couldn't do Native 4k are now saying Scarlett can't do Native 8k but they're wrong once again.......

Native 8k won't be an issue for some game's such as Forza 8 for example, and or current Gen game's as the level of power achieved by 4 times the Cpu processing power & 4 times the Gpu processing power will enable Native 8k gaming on alot of current Gen game's, and also some next Gen title's like i said such as Forza 8...

XboxOneX already runs Forza 7 ultra Native 4k locked 60fps so Xbox Scarlett with 4 times more Cpu & Gpu processing power will easily enable 8k 60fps for racing game's, and basic current Gen linear based shooters like wolfenstein, call of duty, etc...

Keitosha likes this.
  7. You're exactly right as Pc couldn't compete with 360 for about 18 months after launch, and not just it's advanced custom Gpu but the X360 also had the first 3 core Cpu as Pc was still on core 2 duo when the X360 lauched

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

consoles end up being a restriction on what is done with graphics and gameplay mechanisms are restricted to what you can do with a few buttons on a gamepad.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Just chiming in, but consoles do not 'freeze' visual development.

Tech Lord 2020x1 and schmidtbag like this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    come on back to reality.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Ok, I've had my second cup of coffee :)

Explain to me how you think it does freeze visual development, please.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Please indicate the studio's (apart from Rockstar) which brought out ports capable of showing the potential of PC builds.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Consoles can't freeze something they do not touch.

(Hint: Anything that is developed for PC only.)

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's your position sir, if you could delve into your position without requiring me to read between the lines, I'd appreciate it!

15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    *sigh*

All this arguing over a couple potatoes...

And FYI, nVidia didn't even try to get the contract last gen or this gen. Why? A few reasons:

- The contract went to the lowest bidder (not necessarily the one that's better)
    - nVidia would rather use what wafer production they have available for chips that make a much larger profit (ie: anything other than a console chip)
    - They'd rather spend their time and money on other projects

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's a pretty pointless discussion as it's entirely speculation and personal opinions.

I'm of the belief that without consoles the majority of games would not even be made, and the majority of the ones that are made would be scaled down to perform best on low and midrange PC hardware, and that is slower than the consoles.

I can't prove that, so...

Loobyluggs likes this.
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Historically, that has never been the case. There's always games and game engines that can take advantage of better hardware. You know of the classic example, Crysis, right?
    Even besides that, my point still remains that you don't need high-end specs for high-end graphics. There are plenty of console games that look fantastic, and would demand a much more powerful PC to play them.
    Your point about gamepads has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Tech Lord 2020x1 likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You must be living in lala land.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yup, me and everyone else who appears to be disagreeing with you, right?

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yeah... ah... no it isn't.

you have this misconception that a popular opinion makes it the correct one?, and then base your primary argument on a game that was ported back to consoles, rather than developped with the console in mind throughout development.

Find a game that was released on all platforms at once that wasn't downgraded to console standards. - you won't find one.