Bethesda announces Orion technology for game streaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Apparently game streaming is the new video streaming, everyone wants a piece of the pie. The difference being that there's no Netflix here, and nobody has proven they've gotten it working acceptably. Even local on my wired network, Xbox streaming to my PC is a bit choppy at times, and that's only 1080p streaming. GeForce Now works well enough for games that aren't latency driven, but again, that's 1080p.

3. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Unless they partner with some big local internet providers, its only nice technology demo.. so far nobody does it, only Google has streaming and its 1Gbit connection in some locations, so they can control whole ecosystem.. Maybe it could work like Nvidia monitor certification, they can certificate some ISP packages with some ping and stability guarantees .

4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -

5. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    All these companies jumping on the game streaming bandwagon... I wonder if there is any market research to back this up as being a viable business?

I don't see it myself - only some urban areas even offer the sort of uncapped high speeds this requires. Meanwhile, people in urban areas trend more affluent and could likely afford the PC / console anyway. In the US at least, the ISP options in rural and suburban locations are often regional monopolies and, generally speaking, both overpriced and awful in terms of speed. Off the cuff, I can think of several family members and friends who have DSL as the fastest option available...

Redemption80 likes this.
  6. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Soooooooooooooooooo sad the way the world has gone, where so many are fixated with their phone. I loved the days when they were not about, people spoke to each other at bus stops, while queuing anywhere. You look in bars now and ...... I watch my sisters kid, if not on the xbox its the bloody phone, know wonder all the youngsters are wearing glasses well before their time. Who would want game on a silly size screen?

Yeah I know, a lot of you :p

7. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Great!!!
    Pfff...
    ;)

I wonder when they realise this cannot work now, not the way they see it. I'm furious when I have 100+ ping in WOT, and game itself only sends some aiming/ shooting info, all game is on pc/laptop and ofc on server...
    Really can't see it working.

8. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    That's because this idea isn't pushed by engineers, but their managers, who have no idea how anything works. All they see are regular money from monthly subscriptions and that's it. Looking from this point of view, there are plenty of people with phones and many play something on them from time to time. Now, wouldn't it be great if they could monetize it with some small monthly charge ?

9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I wouldn't trust Bethesda to stream piss effectively let alone any games.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hopefully somebody buys that crap so Beth can put the money in the next Elder Scrolls single player offline game.
    No other reason to like this tbh.