Will it be possible to mod DX12 Support for HD 5000 and 6000?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mcfart, Jun 26, 2015.

1. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    I know AMD said they can't, but NVIDIA is supporting DX12 even for the Geforce 400 series, so wondering if it's a hardware limitation or whether it'll be possible to mod DX12 support for these DX11 cards?

2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No, AMD VLIW Terascale GPUs do not support virtual memory, they were never meant to be supported. Virtual memory was the first design requirement of D3D12.
    AMD VLIW also do not support tiled resources and UAV on all shader stages, which are mandatory requirements too.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    GCN and up, sorry man. Maybe its time to get a new GPU. ;)

4. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    :(

sad face

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    No GOOD DX12 games yet. No worries yet fellow 5xxx/6xxx owner :D

Strange Times likes this.
  6. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    :) !!

secondary question: will 5k/6k series likely support Vukan?

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Seeing how Vulkan/Mantle/DX12 are more or less the same API, I can't see them doing that without supporting the fundamental things already mentioned.

8. Rivers23

Rivers23 Member

GPU:
    amd 7670m
    I have an 7670M, will it support directx 12?

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nope, it's a VLIW GPU. Support starts from 7700 series and up for 7000 Series.
    Nope, VM is required on Mantle\Vulkan too.
    First set of DX12 games is expected for winter Holidays 2015-2016. Unreal Engine and Unity support is WIP.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  10. Krelianz

Krelianz Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290x
    it's a hardware limitation, they don't have the required features to support it.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

They support DirectX 11.3 though.

12. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Any DX9 card supports Direct3D 11.3 through feature levels 9_x (10level9).

New hardware features in Direct3D 11.3 require WDDM 2.0 drivers and thus the same graphics cards that support Direct3D 12 - in case of AMD that's GCN architecture GPUs (at least Radeon HD7700, HD8500, R5 240, R5 315).

dezmand07 likes this.
  13. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Thats still 6 months from now. Six more months to put some money away and wait for mature drivers, OC editions and possibly Christmas discounts!

14. SepJo

SepJo Guest

lol

modfyng to Directx12 wll mke ur pc white screen..................

15. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Interestingly though, on the Phoronix forum, some working on the open source driver for Linux said the HD 6900 series might have been able to support Vulkan. Intel's Linux driver team even said they could have supported most of Vulkan on Sandy Bridge (DX10.1/OpenGL3.3 class) but the lack of compute shaders made it not worth the effort.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019

16. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    This thread was kinda necro-ed.

In theory it could had been done (basicaly software solution for the missing parts with the performance penalties that come from the fact that you basicaly use the cpu for it (unless is just better to use the gpu for the emulation)) (applies to both DX12 and Vulkan), in practice based on how things go in the industry I don't really expect to see something done for an architecture that is no longer being sold (exclude Linux from this affirmation).
    Ofc it could had easily end up being a waste of resources when well you could had end up with bellow 10 fps even on the x9xx gpus...

As I already said except Linux usualy the development stops as soon as the architecture is no longer sold.
    (Sure they might release cpu microcode updates for some cpu, but for example K10 received no microcode update for Spectre.)
    The situation is extremely bad in cheap router cases when usualy they don't bother to release firmware for more than 1 year since they started to sell the device, add that they use VxWorks to make some 2 MB flash 16 MB ram router that can't run any custom firmware and you have the right combination to happy see botnets (to be honest if I had a botnet I would take into consideration taking down the entire internet infrastructure of one of those router manufactures that don't care about security because this is probably the only way to make them understand, keep their entire infrastructure down for a couple of weeks and maybe when they will lose money they will understand).
    Might look offtopic but those are examples of how they no longer care about old products despite the fact that those old products are still happy in use and a bad actor can cause chaos...

Think there is enough documentation in Linux area to actually start to work for an implentation of Vulkan for VLIW. For sure it won't be me starting such a project, let's just say I'm unwilling to help for free a company, I did/tried in the past and they basicaly showed me the middle finger; ofc they can show their appreciation by paying me (and in some cases they have debts not paid).
    Worst thing I can do is to just walk away and I'm happy doing it. (I'm just sick and tired to have to fix shitty bioses/vbioses/firmwares , change crappy caps used, put heatsinks on things that clearly needed them, come up with cooling solutions when the space was tiny because else the damn thing just heat up and crashes... because the manufacturer just didn't cared... And when you point to their mistakes they no longer answer or just ban you...)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  17. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    A vulkan/dx12 game with HD69xx or even older gpu definetly won't have only 10fps, if GCN can maintain playable FPS. Terascale 3 especially wasn't something bad, and actually STILL pretty okey.
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-vs-AMD-HD-6990-Crossfire-Disabled/3650vsm7713

Having proper multi - gpu support from vulkan and dx12, the hd 6990 would tie a "NEW" gtx 1050(ti).
    Sad that they abandoned terascale. Yea, terascale 1 was meh, but 2, and specially 3 was pretty good.

18. dezmand07

dezmand07 Guest

GPU:
    Intel IrisProGraphics 580
    because nvidia wrote a driver for 400 series, and amd did not do this.
    dx12 support begins with Feature Level == D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0 and HD 5000 and 6000 excellent support this FL.
    but amd does not want to update the driver base wddm.

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  19. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    This. I would love to see WDDM 2.6 on older non-gcn gpus. They should have a handful of people, 1 to 10 to still make small updates for them

dezmand07 likes this.
  20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Feature levels are not the only requirements for DirectX 12, I can say they evaluated the possibility to support something like D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_4 as well for mobile hardware (this is why we have two flags for UMA and CacheCoherentUMA) before Microsoft decided to quit with WM10.... Memory model and bindings are the most important things, which were a issue for VLIW4/5, moreover Fermi D3D12 support was a joke, it came out just before Fermi GPUs went EOL... There was no reason to add support for Terascale GPUs...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019