OS nvme drive cached to RAM(32gb cache size), with primo cache

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by er557, Jun 10, 2019.

1. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
  2. Yeah dude, i love primocache. Really good software, for not much money.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    And when you restart your pc cache is gone.

-Tj-, Caesar and WolfPT like this.
  4. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    Not really, there are many options to prefetch it again, lock it to same content that had good hits before, flush it upon sleep/hybernation etc.
    I didnt overdo it with defer-write, moderately, in order to prevent any data loss if sudden power outage or crash that the ups can't handle. I am keeping an eye on drive integrity of file system, so all is good.

5. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Primocache has backup option, it writes the cache to SSD, then when PC boots it loads these files.

Undying likes this.
  6. HichamNB

HichamNB Member

GPU:
    Amd / 2gb
    hello
    this is the best tool for hdd speed but what am afraid of is poweroutage ? it can damage both ram and hdd.

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    This is why we have UPS's.

386SX likes this.
  8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Most people dont use that though, although i know it's quite common to use in the states, due to your "great" powergrid.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Most people are stupid.

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well in a country where you essentially never get power interruptions, there really isn't need for one.

Mineria likes this.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Only my server has an UPS. Cause I am not losing 1000+ movies, or TBs worth of shows. Then 10TB of games.

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Maybe, still depends on system stability and the grid.
    Getting an UPS for my desktop setup would be a major waste of cash, and probably for most people too regardless if they might have an HDD.

As for primo cache, not really worth using it on W10/11.

13. Lizerd Keng

Lizerd Keng New Member

GPU:
    6900xt with aio
    For the 30 bucks, I think it's well worth it. It doesn't matter what OS you're using. They all like to leave a decent % of the ram available. You also don't need a UPS, depending on how you want it to work. It can make a noticeable difference in the load time of anything. Obviously a huge difference if you have any slower drives, and less of a difference on nvme drives, but either way, it will. I have a 980 pro for my programs and games (12gb ram cache) and an optane p1600x for the OS (4gb ram cached), and I still notice it, and have timed things to prove it. I have the cache set to "read only" on the OS, so that in the event of a power outage, nothing with the OS will get broken. For the 980 drive I have it set to 85% read and 15% write, with a 10 second defer time. If the power should happen to go out while it's writing (highly unlikely), the worst that would happen is I would lose a saved point in a game? IDK, it hasn't happened in the 4 years I've been using it. The license also transfers to 5 pc's after your first one, at no additional cost, just email them. I've changed video cards, added drives, replaced motherboards, and even completely upgraded motherboards and cpu's, and I've simply emailed them and they renew the key. And still hasn't counted any of this as a single transfer yet. For the cost of ram these days, and the difference I can easily see and measure, it's well worth it and I highly recommend it.
    And the cache isn't gone when you restart the pc, assuming you click the option to have this happen. It loads it back in, and very very quickly. You don't even notice it at start up at all.
    It works so well in fact that many times you don't even have to load things once for it to work. For example, running a benchmark like crystal diskmark, the numbers will be boosted on the very first run. Yesterday I ran the direct storage 1.2 benchmark in the forums here, and it completed in 0.28 seconds on first run, and 4 runs after it, which is the fastest result I've seen in either the 1.1 or the 1.2 thread. It must have some kind of storage sense that can predict what you're gonna do, and have it loaded into the cache. IDK, but it works great.
    I'm not at that pc right now and forget all the crytsal results, but the biggest difference is 10x better at the q1t1 where it hits over 1000mb/s where typically any nvme 3.0, 4.0, or 5.0 drive is about 90 if you're lucky. And latency at any que or thread count is nil

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023