Watch AMD E3 Next Horizon Gaming Event & Livestream - NAVI and Ryzen 3000 Announcements

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD will host an event and live stream during E3 2019 on Monday, June 10 at 3 p.m. PT which is not a good time for the EU, (00:00 Amsterdam time). AMD’s next-generation gaming products will see announcements related to PC gaming (Radeon RX 5700 based on 7nm NAVI), console and cloud gaming. Navi will be presented, the first GPU series leaving the GCN architecture behind them.

Read more

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Wish I were there!....Have fun Boss!

3. I see use for global illumination but as reflections are concerned traditional methods are good enough.
    I remember just how difficult it was for nvidia to setup a scenario where you can tell the difference from the car reflecting the fire.
    It was entertaining seeing them struggle to hide the traditional method working fine.

Fox2232 likes this.
  4. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    "Traditional" (aka fast and fake) methods for reflections and shadows will be replaced. It's not a matter of 'if', but 'when'. It might not be viable to run in real time today, but it's very close and it's already the norm in CG for many years.

Current solutions are simply limited and have already peaked, so the only way forward is to use more complex techniques, such as raytracing.

5. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I remember back when Hardware T&L became normal and they started to put in lightsources and shadows into games as well as bumpmapping which reacts to light (I forgot what it is really called) and most of it all started to vanish away despite that we have so much more power in the hardware today, as well as more efficient APIs.

It was also great when games used EAX type of effects for the sound but that pretty much disappeared too with never games.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    EAX was replaced by EFX.

7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    So which games are using it? Arkham City had for instance echo in cave like environments but Knight removed it. Audio is not a high priority today.

8. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    EAX sort of died along with Creative Labs' near monopoly on sound cards.

9. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    What a shame, as I think audio is hugely important and adds to the game.

10. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Soundblaster X7 ftw ;)

11. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Since this is a leak and might not be true (likely is true and we'll find out soon) i'll post the forum link instead of the pic for the sake of discussion and not spoil: https://forums.guru3d.com/posts/5678856/

12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    AMD is going to trigger a few fan boys with the way they will use Ray Tracing and how they will make it work for consoles and consoles ports.

What really is astonishing is that some still think you need "specific" hardware to actually ray trace. Nv's mindshare on some is mind boggling.

Kaarme and Undying like this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not really.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    True, you dont need it. But specific hardware can speed things up vs without it.

15. lordzerg

lordzerg Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 290
    I'm still using my Creative X-FI Gamer pro

16. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    id suggest watching carmacks lecture on lighting/rendering principles from 2013 to gain some perspective. if you want the link, i can dig it up for you. in the opening he states "we are trying to simulate it (the game world) in various ways...& nowadays we know wat we would have to do to make that almost perfect...we just have nowhere near the computing capacity to do really high level simulations. but its useful, even if youre not going to do the right thing, to at least understand wat the right thing is & then understand which tradeoffs youre making. make them with a clear head rather than accidentally backing into tradeoffs that may or may not be the best way to go about things"

we still dont have anywhere near the computing power to do anything close to ray tracing six years later. in its current form the technology is sampling a minuscule number of rays at an incredibly low resolution, & the results are crippling to even dedicated AI cores that literally dont do anything else but that one type of math. watever implementation AMD will use to accelerate the process with conventional gpu horsepower im sure will be more flexible algorithmically, by necessity, but i cant imagine any better.

anyway my point is that abandoning fundamental principles of rendering in order to attempt to force a technology that is highly fashionable to marketing is NOT how real progress is made

Ricardo likes this.
  17. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    That's why I said in the other thread that I hope AMD won't have any separate chip area dedicated for it. That way people could decide if they want higher fps or RT, with very linear benefit. As far as I know, with Turing if RTX is turned off, the GPU doesn't use the RT cores for anything, so they are just dead weight. If I'm wrong, I hope someone will correct me.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You cannot do high speed BVH on a general purpose shader, sorry fanboys.

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Hopefully we will see in a few more hours :).

Very well said.

There are a few aspects of Ray Tracing that we have not seen yet in a AAA Title Game in any meaningful way: Reflections, Shadows, Ambient Occlusion, Caustics and Global Illumination.That still allowed you to play a game beyond 1080p and above 60 fps.

One game BFV can have reflections. While another games use something else. While others still haven't set a release date.

IMO, once we see these RT elements used in console games we willl see more of it on PC games.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Ricardo likes this.
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    So it starts at midnight. One hour to go.