Microsoft next-gen Xbox, codenamed “Project Scarlett” powered by a custom AMD CPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    XP-200 likes this.
  2. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    AMD = Forest Gump - keep going, just love the last few years of AMD :):p:D

Keitosha, mohiuddin and HWgeek like this.
  3. funkydmunky

funkydmunky Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080
    I hope this comes to a "VHS" type situation so we can all move on and buy a console then pick the games to support MS or Sony camp. They are both using the same hardware FFS.
    Anyways AMD is the clear winner here. Despite Nvidia's lead in RT, it appears more and more it will be whatever the frack AMD choose, and implement will be the industry standard. Sounds weird to say, but AMD is just too powerful at the moment. With consoles approaching PC, the game is really over now.

4. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    Great, so another console with a GPU that will be a budget model by the time the console launches.

fantaskarsef and StefanInter9 like this.

5. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I mean there has never been another way. The console must be within $400-500 range with ram, cpu, gpu, mobo, storage and a controller and for that much money you can't even get a 2070 if it was camp green, so it was always going to be a budget solution.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Looking forward to seeing it, better than the X so win win right there, and they keep BC and all the stuff they are doing now, plus i am sorted for Gold and GP until the end of 2021......sorted. :)

Keitosha likes this.
  7. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    Prior to the Xb1 and PS4, Sony/MS would take a loss on the consoles and put out high-end hardware. IE the Xbox 360 had the worlds first unified shader architecture that was in the same ballpark performance wise as AMD's top GPU at the time. PS3 wasn't too much worse, it had a 7800 GTX GPU which was the top Nvidia GPU available just weeks before the PS3 launched (8800 launched around the same time).

So "there has never been another way" ignores pretty much the entirety of console history.

Ricardo likes this.
  8. chrislondon

chrislondon Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    If it is true what they say in the video and the new Xbox will be 4 times more powerful than the 1X (i.e. 24Tflops) next gen NAVI will be a beast and we will all buy AMD GPUs next year. Or consoles :)

9. funkydmunky

funkydmunky Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080
    Like others have said.
    The consoles drive the industry and push innovation. Consoles, from the very first have always amazed on what they are ultimately capable of. Don't worry about the hardware spec as we always see a giant leap for every profitable console from beginning to end.
    The last (current) gen with lowly Jaguar 8 core CPU and 7850 GPU level hardware has produced some magic. Hell it even birthed the highly supported VR!
    Bare metal programing and a fixed hardware spec have and will, always give a lowly console an advantage. Not an immediate one. But long term they are great examples of tech.

schmidtbag likes this.
  10. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    You're exaggerating a bit. This was more the case back when the hardware was proprietary, but the PS4 and XB1 have always looked/run about ballpark for what their hardware is capable of.

They would have to be talking about CPU performance for a "4x" statement to make any sense. AMD's most powerful GPU is only about 14 TFLOPS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.

11. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    there wont be ever VHS type situation
    its not like VHS alliance, that VHS-player maker to support "VHS"
    console-maker -> fighting over platform shares (PSN/Xboxlive/Steam)
    u cant buy a game on playstation then all of sudden it also supporting microsoft-xbox

12. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I'm not worried about GPU/CPU performance this time, but let's hope that this time MS has more game exclusives.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

PS3 didn't have a 7800 GTX, it had a GPU based off of it. What that means for cost, who knows. That being said, the PS3 came out around 1.5 years after the 7800 GTX was released, and you're complaining that the new xbox has an unreleased GPU in it? Interesting.

But, here's some info for you:

PS3 GPU (based on 7800 GTX, not a 7800 GTX) was on 90nm and ran at 500mhz and only had 256mb of ram (252mb useable) with a memory bandwidth maxing out at 22.4 GB/s and a 128 bit bus

7800 GTX was 110nm and ran at 550mhz with 512mb of ram and 430mhz with 256mb of ram with a memory bandwidth of 38.4 GB/s (256 MB) and 54.4 GB/s (512 MB) and a 256 bit bus no matter which configuration of ram.

By the time the PS3 had been released, you talk only about the 8000 series, which released pretty much at the same time as the PS3, but regardless of that, there was also the 7900 series that had been released already, including the 7900 GTX, GS, GT, GTO, most of which matched or had stolen the crown of the 7800 GTX already.

So no, the 7800 GTX was not "the top Nvidia GPU available just weeks before the PS3 launched", and even if it had been, the GPU in the PS3 is not a 7800 GTX, as it had the memory bandwidth of a 7600 GT, 7800 GTX core configuration was 24:8:24:16, whereas the PS3 was 24:8:24:8. The PS3 GPU was effectively a lower cost 7800 GTX (110nm vs 90nm) with features stripped and memory lowered to 7600 GT levels, and again, was already "old" as you put it, since the 7900 GTX and variants had already been released and the 8000 series was just being released.

That being said, yes, the PS3 did cost more to make then they sold it for, but that didn't do them any favors, as it was their worst release they have had. It also cost a lot for a starting price, $599, which today would be $746

The xbox 360 made similar cost-savings measures on their GPU, which is why the x1900 performed better then the x360. Heck, the Xbox 360 GPU was smaller and less transistors then the x1650 GT.

My point is, you can't exactly go to any GPU during/around a console release and say "that's the GPU that is inside the console, it's high end and we can already see it costs a lot!", because we realistically don't know what the GPU is, what cost-saving alterations they have done, etc. PS3 has a GPU that seems to be similar to both the 7800 GTX, with a smaller node, and also similar to the 7600 GT, so...it's somewhere inbetween? And with that information, we still know squat about the costs to make that GPU compare to the cost to buy a GPU ourselves. Same goes with the xbox 360, somewhere between a x1800 series GPU and x1650 GT, only difference i can find is we know the die size of the xbox 360 GPU, which greatly impacts costs....and it's tiny. It's 182 mm², compared to x1800 xt's 352mm² GPU and x1650 GT's 230mm² GPU.....it's tiny, and its nothing to write home about.

Never understood why someone would HOPE a company has exclusives.......

How about, lets how none of them have exclusives and we make our buying decision on the console based off of performance, features and price, and not have to buy a completely different console all because of this nonsense called "exclusives"

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That 14TFLOPs on GCN. And that's as far as released GPUs go. Then TFLOPs were never real indication of performance. With GCN mentioned 14TFLOPs (Vega) has similar FP performance as 2080 Ti. But graphical performance is different story.

This comes from design of CU. AMD's new S-SIMD enable rather different performance per CU. Not even TMUs per CU need to be 4 anymore.

Today, we'll see future of AMD's GPUs and where those consoles may or may not go in terms of real performance.

As far as I am concerned, if GPU they shown against 2070 in Strange Brigade (post nVidia performance patch) has really 40CUs with GCN compatibility design => 2560SP, then such GPU is going to sport around 8.5B Transistors while nVidia's 2070 has 10.8B Transistors.
    Imagine AMD going from compatibility mode and leverage available transistors saving per CU/TMU pair to throw at us not 160TMUs in RX-5700, but 224TMUs and still fit it under 12B transistors. (Cheaper than Radeon VII to make.)

This would outperform Radeon VII in games, but would deliver quite worse compute performance. (Therefore AMD's statement that Radeon VII is not to be replaced by Navi.)

Then again, you do not get to match 2070 which has 64 ROPs with just 32ROPs. I expect that shown 5700 has 64ROPs too. And if AMD delivers big one. It will likely have 80/96/112/128 ROPs as that's not really bound in linear fashion to CUs.
    - - - -
    I would advise anyone interested to check Price of RX-580 8G. Take this price point (+25% premium for GDDR6 + 7nm) as baseline which will not go down. And scale performance per $ from that price tag upwards till something like $600.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    So - they have abandoned ALL current Xbox consoles forever...kinda says a LOT about how they feel towards consumers of the Xbox...

Disgusting to think of all the crap they dealt at consumers during this current generation of the console. Just...disgusting.

16. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Huh? how'd you get that?

I mean i don't remember them talking about backwards-compatibility but i assume that they would have it, these new consoles are more like the Xbox1x (an extension of the family)

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Obsolescence & hypocrisy.

for ex:

"Buy our new console - it's better than the last one!" = current console is bad, new console is good.
    "Buy our current console - it's really good!" = new console is bad, current console is good - but will be replaced soon.

In both 'spin' statements, the consumer loses out to the former or the latter. The only way to 'win' is the lesser of two evils: abandon the current gen and push the next gen. Sure, they will never say that, but I have no reason to buy something that is basically redundant hardware now.

As the consumer can buy a UHD for what? $150? That means not even the xbox one S is worth buying.

18. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

but no-one right now is saying to buy it, was just talking to a friend about it, this is closer to PC kinda upgrading,where u can sell your old and buy a new one... if you wanted too, or you play with something worse but you or myself might not care. saying the xbox one s is not worth buying makes no sense, its still a good 4k player or a stream box or you can just play games with lower settings.

Would be like buying a low end gaming card, you cant always have the best... i like the approach of good and worse consoles as you put it, puts the price on the customer of what they can personally afford and what they can get... Like not everyone can own a 2080ti or a Nice car... it's just extra choice at the end of the day.

And they aren't abandoning it by the sound of it, its more an extension of the family of consoles, having more models like you would with cars.... the only issue is if developers dont make for all models but i assume microsoft have said they have got to do it.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    OK. I get what you're saying, but why buy an Xbox now as it is being abandoned and, a UHD player is less than an Xbox one S?

It's risky, and they have now placed themselves in a position they cannot back away from. In general terms, this entire generation has had '???' on it from every manufacturer in a variety of ways...but Microsoft has been the most egregious:

Camera always watching you?
    Always online insistence?
    DDR3 memory?
    Multiple types of consoles?
    No UHD (until the 's', and nothing from Sony) ?
    Microphone listening to every thing you say?
    Terrible PR?
    tv tv tv announcement?
    Abandoning the camera (once their left-over stock was shipped)

And yeah - there have been new tech released onto the market that developers have not fully embraced, like HDR (and all of its variations) plus new HDMI standards...SSD's taking off like Apollo 13 on full burn...it's been hard for everyone.

I may be repeating myself from 2013, but all Microsoft had to do was very simple: call it the Xbox 720, stuff it with SSD/SATA3, unified memory GDDR spec and; backwards compatible.

It's taken an entire generation for them to get there, and I still think they could mess this up! They certainly have screwed an entire generation from what was a prominent and 'class leading' position from the xb360 days - and that even includes the RRoD failure they survived through!

Meh - they screwed this up and so, will now be second place for another generation.

I'm callin' it.

20. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

I mean, what i'm getting is why buy an xbox now when a new one is coming out.... that's basically like every new console ever... why get a ps1 when ps2 is coming out...why buy a ps3 when ps4 is coming out etc etc etc....Now i get that, and that's your personal choice to either buy or not to buy as a customer. Now these consoles will drop in price meaning people might wanna get it due to the end of a generation (or for the fact that the new generation of games should still work, not confirmed but seems that way somewhat). I just picked up a Wiiu.... they don't even make them anymore but i'm able to get it cheaper than when it was out and get games cheaper and enjoy them.

Too me i don't see why you're so mad, when it isn't out yet... and they're basically doing what you're saying and bringing out a console that's only for gaming, last few consoles have had some poor PR attached to them, but most consoles have in some way or from. not everyone can win a generation. Now will they lose the next one? who knows it depends what us as customers want.

End of the day people will buy the console they want, depending what they want from the console and what games they want from said console, Now a lot of us on here have a PC chances are most of us wont even think to buy one because there is very little reason. And if this isn't for you then get the ps5 or switch 1/2 or PC, it is your choice at the end of the day.

Personally i have never bought a console day 1 ever, i wait for the market to settle first, i didn't get a ps4 till after the pro came out and many games were already released.

Choice is all yours is what i am saying, there is no need to get mad or defensive over a company, if they do poorly or don't do what they want, see if the competition does and go with them.... or you know just keep playing the games you enjoy, there are so many games and so much to choose from that you have more choice now than ever to pick games from.