AMD expected to talk about their Raytracing Strategy during E3

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I hope AMD will call it what it is rather than "ray tracing"--most people don't know what ray tracing is--I hate to see any industry capitalize on customer ignorance (like Apple, for instance.) One comment I read, the guy thought "ray tracing" was "using a bunch of shaders," lol...;) It's too bad the FTC isn't up on 3d tech, or computer tech in general--there'd be a bunch of false advertising fines being levied, no doubt about it. I think support for DTX in d3d is fine--so long as it isn't called "real-time ray tracing." I so loathe buzzwords. Always have. My cross to bear, I guess.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    To be frank all of this ray tracing is only Ray-tracing like effect (I like it a lot).
    To put into perspective:
    Now pick some 3DsMax and make ray-traced image ;) -> at 1440p it takes some time to out-put only 1 image.

Side note:
    DirectX DXR - I call it Path-Tracing (IMhO ATI/AMD will call it that way or Radeon||Rays done by Async shaders is Real Time)

jura11 likes this.
  4. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    they already lose

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Writing already on the wall.
    RT games on console will simply port over to PC with Radeon cards capable of supporting it. If AMD were shrewd they will make Nvidia support "difficult".
    RTX will have a few exclusive titles with RT and as long as they are single player people will use them. If it's MP, even if they have RTX cards they will disable it just like they did in BFV. Better yet, Assetto Corsa Competizione also has RT support but they haven't released it yet either. Last I heard about it was Last August 2018.

Therefore, nothing new. Same ole same ole.

6. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    What is currently being done on GPUs is really a type of hybrid or only partially denoised ray tracing at best. It's really misleading, but that's what marketers are paid to do I guess.

AMD & their partners forming the complete gaming ecosystem should make sure ti be really ready before releasing, nvidia isn't going anywhere with their hack job anyways.

Luc likes this.
  7. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    There is a very eloquent way AMD can do this.
    A. Let consoles release Next Gen Games
    B. Create and Market an AMD PC Ecosystem Marketing Strategy: "Buy a Ryzen 3000 series 8/16 cpu (and higher) along with a x570 and Navi GPU and we guarantee Best Performance & Compatibility in these Games (Console to PC games)" Campaign.
    C. Lock Down PC Port Games via PowerShell.
    D. Make Nvidia release driver "Fixes" for those Ported PC games with/without Ray tracing. Because they simply don't work. Amd response, "You know...because all we do is copy pasta from Console to Power Shell."
    E. Profit

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Whatever AMD ends up doing with RT, I hope it's not totally separate hardware that would then be sitting doing nothing when RT is not enabled. That way people would basically be able to choose between 4k60 or 1080p+RT.

10. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Like anything else, RT also needs hardware acceleration. It's been same with SM2 and early pixel shaders. It was either WSXGA+ or XGA or even smaller with shaders. But then everyone quickly forgot about how it was without shaders. With growing density there is now a huge space for far more RT cores. And with lighting switching over to RT, we don't need that much of shader cores now. So rapid shader core count growth is probably coming to an end.

Luc likes this.

11. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    But it is Ray Tracing, performed in Real-Time (anything what GPUs do is), its just Hybrid Ray Tracing where only some parts of the image are computed that way, and not the entire thing, since that would be too slow. But it is Ray Tracing nontheless.
    The tech is however capable of rendering a scene entirely using Ray Tracing, accelerated at that with RTX, as shown by the Quake 2 Ray-Tracing demo. It would just be too slow for modern scenes, hence only using it partially.

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The PCs Nvidia though, so the games will be RTX'd for them, not AMD'd RT. :p

13. no matter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2019
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    As much as i'm hyped for AMD CPU, and new lithography, i really wonder what to expect from their GPU with the various people that left for Intel in the recent years.

15. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Xbox's E3 just confirmed HW Raytracing. Get ready for some AMD shade...

It's "rumored" that the Slipspace Engine does support DXR. Guess what game that belongs to?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019

16. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    loloolololol

Strange Times likes this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    navi doesn't have hardware raytracing, so whatever the xbox is doing its repurposing general purpose shaderst to do it.

18. remind me again what ray tracing does because im having trouble understanding the benefits over traditional techniques.

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    No need to fake reflection. Basically everything happening naturally with ray tracing. Probably will safe developers time, not trying to mess with shaders to create similar results.

This is the future, just a matter of time when the majority of engines will switch over to it. (Once hardware is fast enough and implementation is smooth)

Ricardo and Luc like this.
  20. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Yakk and Luc like this.