Quake 2 with raytracing

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by dark_surge, Jan 22, 2019.

1. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    There are several RTX options exposed to control the quality. By far, the most heavy one is the Global Illumination.
    I tried the game on my GTX 1080Ti and I'm getting 33FPS average in 720p mode.

AsiJu likes this.
  2. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I was able to get the game pretty playable and mostly above 60fps with the res slider at 80% (from 1440p) and global illumination set to medium. It looks pretty good.

XenthorX and AsiJu like this.
  3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    A 1080 Ti performs identical for less money and no gimmicks.

4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    No it doesn't perform identical. And when I bought my 2080, there was no 1080ti for sale anywhere.

5. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    They made the game really blurry. The blurriness is like one of those things I don't see in the YouTube videos.

This is like the video game generation where video games only look good in YouTube videos.. But I'n motion at native res they look terrible.

Same thing happened with Assassins Creeds origins. Graphics look awesome in the videos but when I started playing the game for the first time it looked like somebody smeared petroleum jelly on my screen. Luckily the game was added to the list of Nvidia gameworks games and I was able use the game filter and enable the sharpening filter. What ever anti-aliasing method they used in AC: Origins is really good at getting rid of the jaggies but it's blurry as hell.

I can't appreciate a games art style and graphics when they make the game blurry. They're literally blurring out the procreating game. o_O

6. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

The AA in origins is a blurry as crap TAA i'll give you that, But the quake 2 thing is crystal sharp for me.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    From what i've seen 2080 is faster in every game that came out lately. I would probably even took 2070 before 1080ti at this time.

8. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Am I the only one that didn't base my 2080ti on Raytracing being the saviour of gaming?

Like, Its a fun little addition that looks great and is fun to play with. Metro looks stunning with it, For BFV screenhotting work its amazing.

I look forward to using it in more games down the line, People need to remember that its not forced on.
    Don't like it then disable it, Wanna play MP and get all the frames you can, disable it.

Most of the people I see moaning about Raytracing don't even have RTX cards to use it and form their own impressions.

When did a tech enthusiast forum become so negative over cool new tech

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You're not. My reasoning was I just bought a 165hz monitor and I wanted more power than 1080. RTX is a fun addition and looks great in Metro for example, but in BFV I can honestly turn it off and I won't even notice because it's a fast paced shooter.

I think RT is a couple of generations off of being mainstream. If it lives that long. Fact is, I'll take Doom Eternal over Quake 2 RTX any day. It'll run better, look better and be a much better game.

10. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

1440p 165hz here too, coming from 1080ti sli it was a nice jump and helps me keep a much higher and more stable FPS.

I agree with raytraycing I only use it in in sp game, BFV online or firestorm it's off as I prefer the higher FPS.

I dunno how long it'll be around for but it's cool to play with, reminds me of physx in borderlands or hairfx/hairworks. It's not a necessity but it's cool to use and I really don't get all the negativity toward it.

metagamer likes this.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    The negativity comes from those who wish they could afford these cards but Nvidia priced them out.

I think if we get another 2 generations with some 30% performance boost in top end and some RTX optimisations, we'll be pretty well set to run RTX in games. That being said, physx even now cripples fps in Borderlands 2 so we'll just have to wait and see. Would I pay for a 2080 even if it didn't have RTX? Absolutely. VII from AMD costs the same and performs about the same, if not worse in most cases and doesn't offer RTX. So yes, RTX is a bonus.

12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Streamed it a bit earlier, really cool. Nvidia put everything in it hehe. Multibounce global illumination, soft shadowing, and reflections, really cool.
    Better lower resolution if you want to maxed it all really, there's no ray tracing card that can handle all that at 4K for instance :p.

Barry J, Party Poison, Kolt and 2 others like this.
  13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Nice video showing off some of the settings and how they affect the visuals.

XenthorX likes this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it functions on GTX 10 and 16 as well since its a VK RT implementation.
    People getting this error have a busted driver install.

There are already performance results on reddit where the 1080 is getting at best 8fps lol.

play it at 640x480 as was intended by the quake 2 devs at the time :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    XenthorX likes this.
  15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    How does your RX 580 run it? It's totally clear you are in love with that card. My 1660ti will crush it.

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    The whole thing is a total joke. 20 year old textures with some lighting enhancements running under 20fps. on top tier cards. This is like the Geforce FX all over again.

Serotonin likes this.
  17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Textures/materials/and a couple models were largely improved. Have you check this water shader compared to the original one? lol

Was thinking of this earlier, so far this is the only ray tracing demo we have featuring the 3 pilars of ray tracing availables:
    * GI
    * Reflections
    * Soft shadows

We had GI in Metro Exodus, soft shadows in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and reflections in Battlefield 5. Here if you use the 'high' preset for GI, you're also using multibouce.
    I'm actually fairly happy to get playable framerate at 70% 4K with all this stuff going on.

Kolt likes this.
  18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Was it worth $1200 dollars?

Serotonin likes this.
  19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If you're getting stutter / judder like I was, open NVCP and set the game to render 1 FPS ahead. Was driving me mad, 80 FPS felt like crap. This completely fixes it for whatever reason.
    1080p all "on" with Low GI, 100 FOV (hides some artifacts, try it out). 75-80 fps average.

@jbscotchman what are you on about? Go back to reddit buddy, this is some cool tech here.

AsiJu and XenthorX like this.
  20. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    As a game dev and occasional content creator, my computer is also my tool, the 2080-Ti paid for itself a while ago.

In practical terms, the 2080-ti is also the best GPU you can get if you're playing at 4K which is my case.

Serotonin, Kolt and JonasBeckman like this.