ASUS releases its Hyper M2 X16 Card version 2.0

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ASUS begins shipping an updated revision of their NVMe M.2 SSD x4 expansion card now called the HYPER M.2 X16 CARD V2” with enhanced power circuit. This add-in board supports a PCI-Express ...

ASUS releases its Hyper M2 X16 Card version 2.0

2. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    This must be in certain regions, as I already purchased and installed the v2 two months ago. Nice card, didnt even activate the fan, the heatsink is enough. Mind you your motherboard must support pcie slot bifurcation already, if it is to support several nvme drives and split the lanes.
    Once an bifurcation and nvme boot support mobo bios is updated, there is no issue using the card in older boards as well, such as x99, c612, and any other that meets these requirements.

airbud7 likes this.
  3. asder

asder Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1080TI
    Is the fan controllable from software or dump temp controlled ?

4. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    there is a switch in the back plate of the card, you can switch fan on or off manually , also when already installed in case.

airbud7 likes this.

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    The easiest systems to use this in literally have a hyper16x option listed in BIOS but anything that supports 4x4x4x4 should work. I have mine in an Apex X299 and the BIOS has native hyper16x support.

6. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    This is by far not the same, that highpoint costs 400$, it is integrated with a controller and a dedicated splitter. The asus card is just an interface for m.2, your motherboard does all the bifurcation, raid, boot etc.

7. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    The days are slowly approaching when memory could potentially be our next bottleneck....

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the hyper x option is not actually to make use of the hyper x, but to make use of hardware ROC on the hyper x.

9. I said basically the same, not exactly the same. Obviously there is a difference between hardware raid and software raid. I feel like most people will use it for similar applications. If you are using multiple nvme drives, are you really worried about spending $400 dollars on a raid card? Trying to spread the word about cool hardware, not trying to mislead anyone. Lighten up dude.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019
    er557 likes this.

10. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    That isn't true. If you enable the hyper 16x option but do not set up RAID you will have access to all 4 drives individually from your OS.

There is an additional step to set up VROC and if you don't use Intel drives there are major limitations on what you can do with VROC.

In the case of non-intel drives you can enable the hyper 16x and then use software RAID from the OS.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the hyper 16 option is not required for all drives to be read, and it causes device start issues when enabled.