AMD and Samsung Announce Partnership in Ultra LowPower, High Perf Graphics Technologies

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    AMD is having good time this year.
    Do you think Samsung is after some-kind of Gaming Console with ARM CPU + RDNA GPU?

Kaarme and Ricardo like this.
  3. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    That's an interesting thought, and considering Google Stadia, it might be a good time to develop low power all-rounders devices for the masses. This might even bleed into smart TV's?

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Samsung might have got a good deal as well. Although AMD has had success with Ryzen, on the graphics side there have been no breakthroughs, with Navi still a months off promise. I have no doubt AMD demands less money than Nvidia would have. I guess AMD is also easier to work with, with Sony and MS seemingly having no problems getting consecutive APUs from them for their console generations.

5. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    AMD has done it before. Qualcomm chips use Adreno gfx, which is the tech on their ULP chips. Interestingly, Adreno is an anagram for Radeon.

Undying and HWgeek like this.
  6. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Thats not quite the same. Adreno was developed by ATIs old mobile division, which was sold entirely to Qualcomm in 2009, not just licensed IPs.

schmidtbag likes this.
  7. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    Very nice deal indeed. AMD expands their presence as a graphical HUB directly to mobile now in addition to through Qualcomm which Samsung also works closely with.

And Samsung is covered IP wise for graphics. Seems like a win-win deal.

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    "royalties" Thats nice. Even if AMD only gets $1 a phone that is still a lot of cash. Samsung sold 70 million phones last year.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not think it is as low as 1$ per chip. Unless AMD gets priority access to some of advanced fabs Samsung has in return.

Then AMD gets better mind share as Samsung is likely to put that IP into good phones. Samsung gets HW compatible with all newest APIs. AMD gets to produce much more and become real threat to intel. Samsung's phones will dominate in terms of performance.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    A Mali-450 is probably good enough for Stadia. All of the heavy rendering is done on Google's end, and they're not going to switch to ARM to play AAA games.

11. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Seeing as it's with Samsung, I'd guess it's more like smart TV.

12. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    I know, but I was talking about devices which could do both: streaming games and playing local ones. Not AAA, unless it's mobile AAA (does that even exists?). Could be a nice little entertainment box, like nvidia shield.

13. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    I am of this opinion too, particularly since Samsung TV's started supporting steam link, probably taking next steps forwards so see where they can further expand their business.