Apple Pro Display XDR: 6K display with a brightness of 1,600 cd/m²

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    I honestly can't believe that they would advertise that bogus contrast ratio. This is not a dual layer LCD. This thing won't break 4000:1 on an ANSI pattern. 1,000,000:1 was obviously derived from some bogus method like measuring black at the edge of the screen and a tiny 100% white window in the center.

3. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    those prices already "intriguing"
    but what more intriguing, apple like to make their product with special resolution
    well i guess that what makes "stand-out" because display on the market do not using those resolution
    so whoever the OEM, they produce it specific for apple

and with those prices, apple should go with 10k .. not 6k, this year many pushing 8k, this make apple looks behind the races

4. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    It uses local dimming, so obviously the 1,000,000:1 value is dynamic contrast with local dimming active. Such values are achievable with dimming, however its also a bit misleading since dimming does lead to light bleeding/halos, and is not the same as static contrast.
    The static contrast they apparently don't even mention.

schmidtbag likes this.

5. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    Lol, it has a fan! :eek:

[​IMG]

6. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    Everything I said is specifically in reference to the fact that this is an FALD display.

For an example of what I'm talking about, I point you to the Acer Predator X27 review on Rtings. It's an IPS panel with 384 dimming zones at 27 inches, which gives it a similar zone density to this Apple display

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/predator-x27

With the FALD active, the Acer doesn't even break 1400:1 ANSI contrast. Light leakage is an unavoidable fact of life, and a low static contrast panel like an IPS exacerbates the issue. I'm being very very generous when I say this display will hit a 4000:1 ANSI, that's assuming Apple has some sort of trick up its sleeve. In reality, it will probably do half that.

7. Need a $15,000 dollar mac pro to do it justice...

airbud7 likes this.
  8. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Jesus...you can buy a car with this amount of money...I am curios how much do you pay for the production and research costs and how much for the apple on the back of the screen...

From what I've heard it's on the way: starting at $5,999 though...You get an 8-core Xeon processor, 32GB of memory, a Radeon PRo 580X and a 256GB SSD for this money.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  9. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    1k for the stand! Does it come with a normal stand from the box?

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There are professional reference displays that are $30,000.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1202266-REG/canon_6902b002_dp_v3010_30_4k_hd_3g_sdi.html

Here is a $20,000 Cannon.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1443062-REG/sony_bvm_hx310_31_4k_hdr_master.html

A $30,000 Sony.

There is definitely room for entry level reference display at $6,000 - practically a bargin for the specs honestly.

11. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    those on list is on different target, those for broadcasting,cinema all big industries things
    compared to (apple)profesional-end-user product

at $6000 there are other monitors with similar specs if not better quality or much cheaper
    like eizo coloredge is around that price too, although still up to 4k
    but i prefer eizo quality over apple anyday

and a bargin apple product, really ? yeah i know apple display is quite good but its far from bargin

Prince Valiant likes this.
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Honestly, $5000 isn't that outrageously high (though $1000 for a stand? wtf?). I sure as hell wouldn't pay for it, but for high-end graphics/video workstations, it has good specs at a large size, and is pre-calibrated. The tricky part is there isn't really anything to compare it to, since 6K is a pretty odd resolution.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 White
    Personally I like the looks of this, not that i'd buy one, but descent specs for the price, but yeah, 1k extra for the stand and 1k for their "nano" etching, sjeesh.

/offtopic

I'm more interested to see what those 2 MPX modules in the new (highest end) mac pro are capable of...

28core xeon, 2x Vega Duo MPX modules, 56tflops single precision, 112tflops half precision, 128gb HBM2........ :eek::eek:

Price tag at least 35K ($) from what I have read so far.

Btw, that new Mac pro tower is ugly AF imho, like the look of my oldschool 2012 mac pro a lot more :D

14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I wonder if it has Apple's usual 1-year warranty...;) I would hope it would be significantly longer, but this is Apple we're talking about. Yeah, the non-standard resolution is sort of wonky but Apple loves wonky. The company sells to people with more money than experience--I read one whining post a while ago of someone who bought one of those 2880 x (I can't recall) 13" Macbooks who didn't understand why his applications that didn't support that resolution opened either in the "center of the screen surrounded by a lot of black screen space", or else were low-res simply scaled up, and when he actually found an application to support the resolution--the text and cursor were so small he couldn't see them on the tiny 13" screen. His complaint was that nothing looked like Apple's ads made it look! That's Apple in a nutshell, imo. The $6k bottom-end Mac Pro configuration is pretty much a joke, imo--specs are laughable. Still surprised that Apple hasn't picked up AMD cpus, but then Apple customers are buying a brand as opposed to a product. Apple: caveat emptor!

15. disgusting price
    https://streamable.com/xfk10

display mounts should come as standard like a tv remote or wheels on a car.
    disgusting marketing greed

16. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    is that stand made of titanium?

17. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    People who mount them on walls or other stands have no use for the stand that comes with a monitor.

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I can't tell if that's sarcasm, but no, and titanium isn't actually rare.

19. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    yes its sarcasm

20. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    1k for the display mount. What a joke. You can buy a top end G-Sync monitor for that price or a half decent 4k TV.