HUGE frame drops with new 1060 G1

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 27, 2019.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    cmon dude i get it you dont need to keep rammin *(lol)* it home to me im poor k i have what i have right now and that means im inclined to try and make the best of it. i posted the video above to show my current progress in tacklin the bottleneck i have on the only hardware i can currently afford. thats all im sayin soz if that sounds argumentetive im in a position were i can do nothin about ti but squeeze out what i can with what i have.

AsiJu, airbud7, Passus and 1 other person like this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well said. Enjoy what you have man and try to get 8gb system more when you can, it will help your stuttering.

airbud7 and Stone Gargoyle like this.
  3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    No, I totally understand. I'm just sharing my personal experience with a similar rig. Eventually you'll run into a bottleneck. I hope you manage to minimise it as much as possible.

airbud7 and Stone Gargoyle like this.
  4. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    latest results i have been having great success in various games RTSS capped to 72fps to allow my card a bit of head room to stretch its legs as i found that cappin at lower 62fps would bring in more stutter as the gpu attempted to do more than I was allowing it to

Project Cars 2 High set / 72 diown to 60 during replays fairly consistant smooth frametime
    Shadow of The Tomb Raider High set / solid 60+ i do use the res mod on this game but cant get my head round why they would include one and not allow you to use it full screen wtf??? frametime jumpin around whenever sound fx kick in closer i am to point of sound the more the frametime noise
    Styx 2 High Epic set / 72 at all times consistant smooth frametime
    *(i will add more games when i get more time to keep a record for myself)*
    Quantum Break is next
    PREY too

then we get to Destiny 2 n no wonder Bungie does not allow RTSS to run as the game is all over the place depenin on which world you are on and if there is a social scene around you happenin i can load into most of thw worlds and keep 72 fps but as soon as I jump into titan or nessus the frame rate is up and down like a yo yo

best of all tho i finally managed to upgrade windows 10 to enable WDDM 2.6 and i have seen a real improvement in games some might say it only placebo but i have def noticed some higher frames and overall seems much smoother than when i was still stuck with WDDM 2.5

im still not quite were i want to be but most games are now runnin as i would expect them to on a new 1060!!! :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    AsiJu, anxious_f0x and airbud7 like this.

5. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    to no suprise prey ran very bad borderin unplayable bad with intense frame drops down to 10 frames *(!)* and massive sttutterin no matter the settings idk for every game that runs amazin many of my older games now run faaaaaar worse than they ever did on my 960 its hard not to be major disapointed knowin some games i rly like i now cant play at all. that bottle neck is kickin all my dreams in the head!!! :D

both Quantum Break and BFV run good tho with a little help from the resolution slider on BFV i managed to get it runnin on ultra with only some slight dips in frame times i am pretty crap at it tho lol not played bf in years

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Hmm, I'd uninstall and reinstall Prey, cause those numbers seem really low, even for your system.

Anyway, I know money is likely very tight, but, if you could try and put away £8-10 a week, then, you can look forward to a decent upgrade in a years time. Good luck bro.

Stone Gargoyle likes this.
  7. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I play a lot of Destiny 2 and as you’ve found there are definitely some Planets that really hit the CPU hard, even my old Core i7 980X struggles sometimes, the main spawn points on Titan and the European Deadzone definitely seem to be the worst areas I’ve encountered. Fun game though, and very pretty.

You can claw back some performance in Destiny 2 on the GPU side of things by lowering the depth of field setting, it’s really demanding for some reason and can really tank the frame rate when you aim down sights as its used heavily in that situation. CPU wise there’s not so much you can do to help performance as a lot of it is down to the large draw distances, AI and the networking.

If you haven’t already I’d highly recommend disabling the DVR in Windows 10, can help relieve some of the bottlenecks on the CPU side of things I found.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im sure 980x with its 12threads overclocked beats any fx chip. I also have one in my server machine. If im not mistaken you paired it with 2080. :D thats crazy...

anxious_f0x likes this.
  9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    i had no idea DVR was even runnin but i checked it as soon as i read your post and sure as day is day there it was still enabled after all this time, disabled it now and will report any changes,. thanks dude.

Destiny 2 is now another game i have decided to uninstall the frame drops were gettin crazy goin from a consistant high of 72 to a sudden spluterring low of 30 for no reason making me feel like i was playin it on my old dual core and yer i learned a while back that the dof had a massive impact from being off to even just on low or medium and always turned it off but as you said there is the AI the social environment and at times crazy amount of fx goin on in a fight scene. i was bored of it anyway lol

why they wont allow the use of RTSS after all this time idk but im past carin now.

Stormyandcold and anxious_f0x like this.
  10. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    opened up my xbox app only to find this

[​IMG]

I HAD NO IDEA I WAS EVEN RUNNIN! thx again anxious_fox turnin it off should make a big difference!!! :D

Stormyandcold and anxious_f0x like this.

11. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    It’s still a great CPU that’s for sure and using a 60Hz screen it does well with the 2080Ti @4k, but there’s just a couple of really heavy areas in Destiny 2 where it shows it’s age now sadly :(

No problem :D

That’s a lot of captures, hopefully having it off now will solve some of your problems :)

Stone Gargoyle and Undying like this.
  12. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    after testin all morning i would like to confirm that my fps drops are now a thing of the past and the 1060 i put a lot of faith in when i bought it is now performin like a champ in EVERY GAME i have tried since turnin off DVR its honestly amazin what a difference such a simple change of a setting in Win 10 has done for my games no more frame stutter outside of loading screens no more sudden eratic fps loss i only wish i had checked it sooner!!!

Prey Moon Crash 1080p High 72fps 13.8ms
    Resident Evil 7 1080p High 72fps 13.8ms

thx again to everyone who posted in the thread especially you anxious_fox :D goes to show how easily a simple overlooked aspect can have on game performance i can now at long last enjoy the new gpu i have owned for nearly two weeks hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Good to hear, enjoy your games :D

airbud7 and Undying like this.
  14. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Try running them in Fullscreen Borderless mode or Windowed Fullscreen mode. Just another addition to your solution. You may gain more fps too.

15. SlickR

SlickR Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    You have garbage processor and only 8GB of ram, there is your issue. The easiest "fix" is to get 16GB of ram, that will improve playability in many of these games, but ultimately you'll need to upgrade your CPU.

16. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    hey feel free to call my hardware garbage all u want the fact remains i RESOLVED MY ISSUE WITHOUT ANY UPGRADE which many said i needed and im happy as a pig in do doo with my current results.

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Happy for you dude, it was obvious from your description of your Prey performance that something was definitely wrong. Glad it's resolved now!

18. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Glad to see you fixed it. More ram will always help but at 8gig you still should be fine for awhile.

19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    k guys i have been toyin with buying more ram and didnt want to make a new thread cos i know i will need it at some point so why not get it out the way can u tell me what you think of this as an upgrade i have been eyein up as a replacement

G.Skill 16GB Ripjaws X Dual Channel Memory Kit - Blue (2x 8GB, DDR3 1600MHz,1.5v

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Skill-16...hannel+gskill&qid=1560637829&s=gateway&sr=8-2

and here is what i have installed right now

[​IMG]

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Go for it. For a 70 bucks it will be worth it. You'll notice quite a bit of improvement with 16gb.