Windows 10 May 2019 Update Causing Issues For Some AMD Ryzen PCs, Fix In This item

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 31, 2019.

1. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Personally in every feature update I did a clean installation and have had almost zero issues. I know, that's not the solution, just saying. I just keep all my movies/series in an other disk and games in an other.

In a USB I install a clean copy of windows, disconnect from the internet, add all the latest and necessary drivers, doing the settings I need and only then I reconnect. Perfection. And having 3x Samsung 860, the process doesn't last more than 5-6 minutes.

TalentX likes this.
  2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I can speak of Windows 9x and Windows 3.11. Yeah DOS really never had any driver issues unlike Windows. Windows 95/98 and even ME had driver issues which caused BSODs at some points. Windows 3.11 had some driver issues but not as bad as Windows 9x/ME. Heck what people argue as the best version of Windows which is Windows 2000. I tried that and never could get my sound card to work while I had it working under Windows 98. So at the end of the day Windows had more driver issues than any other OS out there. Yeah you got that right about the hardware manufacturer not updating or creating new drivers for the new OS. That is one reason why Vista suffered when it first came out. Plus the OEM manufacturers of PCs didn't have enough RAM to run Vista properly.

3. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    yeesh, again MS?

I appreciate the warning, I was planning on updating my family member's x470 system that uses those RAID drivers - guess I'll be holding off on that now.

4. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Well, thanks for the heads up. :) Good thing is, the 19H1 update is purely voluntary and not forced.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    This only happens to those that are too lazy to check for mobo/chipset updates.

If you have the latest drivers installed then there is no issue.

Still MS should of known about this error before the update was released.

I'm lazy too but i use IObit Driver Booster once a week or something to always check for Any updates.

6. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    None of my machines are even getting 1903 offered through windowsupdate just yet. I used to force it by using the creation tool in the past, but this time, I'm not so much in a hurry. Let it mature.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    What is this Windows 10 May Update already entering June and still in beta state!?
    Good ol' M$ testing its software on actual users.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    After all the security mitigations, the IPC difference has been heavily minimized. Overclocking is the only thing Intel has real leverage in at this point, and it seems that won't last for long.

9. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    Sad but true.

[​IMG]

This tbh.
    For those who experience trouble with updates, I recommend delaying updates for like 7-14 days. MS usually is fast fixing critical update failures, that gives time to receive a fixed update on the next weekly update schedule.

Don't forget to mention Meltdown, Spectre and Spoiler security vulnerabilities that will make your system insecure running on intel. This is included in the overclocking-capability that you praise so much (even without OCing it lol).

By the way:
    "I know it doesn't quite run properly, but look to that speed!" ~The Overclocker

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    If your remark about AMD is indeed accurate, then the primary issue that it would indicate is that whatever sample-size of AMD-based platforms Microsoft has determined as being sufficient for QA testing purposes is entirely too small, and not sufficiently representative of their user-base. This would be entirely a Microsoft problem, not an AMD problem.

When a company is distributing a common product, (any product), for general use among a wide-range of disparate equipment, all of their potential customers need to have sufficient representation when it comes to testing. Most especially if your customer base doesn't have all that much say as to if they really want your latest distribution or not.

Regarding updates, my feeling is that Microsoft needs to focus on the Operating System, not a new version of some existing, possibly unimportant, application included with Windows. In other words, spend it's time under the hood, in the engine compartment, not designing new cup-holders.

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Disagree here, they do acrobatic programming that is something else. Agile is good, and does not apply to MS doing stuff since the feedback loop from the users is about features and not about bugs. That is just bad QA or complexity over their level of competence.

That because intel is able to self create issues lately.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If you perceive no performance hit (even though there very much is one) then why are you bragging about minimal IPC gains?

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    My benchmark and game FPS are identical on BW-E to what they were before these issues with spectre, meltdown et al, were discovered. As is the intervening period of time between then and now, there has been ZERO, let me state again ZERO reports of a home user being affected, I have the mitigations disabled. But your complaints are off topic and would probably have more weight regarding the server/content creator who will more likely be affected. And lastly intel is mitigating in silicon now...so meh...lets move on.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    And since when do you speak for everyone? Your tests are not everyone's. If you want to talk about personal anecdotes, I'm considering ditching my i3-based laptop because its performance has suffered enough to affect my daily use of it.
    You accuse me of going off-topic and then you bring up this?
    Um.... aside from pointing out my i3, where have I complained?
    As already stated, I'm affected on my daily-use laptop, so no, it isn't just servers and content creators.
    Mitigating in silicon doesn't fix the IPC losses, so.... what's your point of bringing that up? I already acknowledged Intel fixed the problem.

15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    THIS HAS ZERO to do with CPU's so i don't know why you brought this up.... Totally random comment.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, aside from the obvious trolling attempt....what exactly does that have to do with the topic of the thread?

Aura89, typhon6657 and alanm like this.
  17. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Yeah, getting around to the topic of the thread... does anyone know if this driver must be updated (or even installed) if RAID is not used?

18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Never saw a quality software developed with agile. Agile is for put crap code as fast as possible (typical mobile first bullshit), regardless production quality measurements like deep code analysis (warning do not exist to be ignored), proper unit tasting (not just that joke called Googletest which can half replaced with proper compile-time evaluation), code review (no, you cannot review yourself), profiling (yes speed and power are great, but only if you do not waste them), code documentation (you tell me you understand your own code? Try to read it after a month and count how many time you waste) and hardware knowledge (the hardware is the damn platform, not the software itself, eg: a net resource can hang a thread and leak memory regardless of the language you are using, because it's a damn hardware problem)... The Visual Studio team tried agile for a while, and they roll-backed and this is why VS is still one of the best software around the word while many components (fortunately not all) of Windows aren't since NT 6.2.. Unfortunately, agile is one of the worst crap everyone learn at uni today (another is called hci..). Insiders feedback are just junk, if the would have proper feedback they should pay attention at they OEMs partner and 3ds party software developers, not the average Joe/Bob/Mario telling he doesn't like the screen-savers colours..But that's not software development discussion thread I guess.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    they really need to stop this ever 6 month new build crap cause the Q/A is utter trash since that, do one year a new build and some of this issue would might go away, the coder and devs at MS have probably never worked this hard ever on any
    Window OS

20. rbraden

rbraden Guest

They need to slow this crap down, got my mscse in the nt4 era.. so I can do this windows jazz in my sleep. (not showing off here, just showing my age).. after that.. I had to learn BSD. (used slackware at home)

I can dance with anything.. throw it at me I will make it mine. though I wish they would just slow it down to 1 big release a year. . now all the desktops at home are running pop!_os. Gaming is getting better on linux, but it's still a walk thru hell, especially when you need to install 200+ mods on a bethsoft game.

Sorry .. early morning drunken rant (someone left two bottles of wine on my porch.. I am off work and who am I to turn it down?.. though it is warm as hell in the summer sun).

anyway.. I do not think we need a sort of rolling release with windows, there is too much legacy stuff there. too much to go wrong.

Drunken rant over...