Should I Turn On V-Sync With Freesync..?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by zeebaluch, Oct 23, 2017.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup, maby it's the way.

Also try this settings:
    Ench.Sync ON
    No FPS Cap other than Adrenalin

-> Then try to set Chill at good range e.g. 59-75

V-Sync OFF in Games always.

bernek likes this.
  2. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    @OnnA will try these and report back :) Thanks !

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    RTSS has less input lag. I asked some people to do a simple test, and every time RTSS has less lag. The test is:

Configure FRTC to its lowest possible FPS (30 at this time, I think.) Configure RTSS to 0FPS (disables the FPS limiter). Load up a game and play a bit. Alt-tab to RTSS and set 29FPS as limit. This will make RTSS be the active limiter. Alt-tab back to the game. You should see lower lag with RTSS as the limiter.

This works because at 30FPS, each frame adds 33ms of input lag, so the difference of 1 frame between FRTC and RTSS is easy to tell.

An FPS cap of 73FPS should be fine when using RTSS, but I don't think anyone tested Freesync to see what the best cap is.

As for vsync, if your monitor does not to LFC (Low Framerate Compensation), then I think vsync is a must to avoid tearing when the game falls below 48FPS. Otherwise, you could just use vsync OFF and only enable it again if you see any tearing.

bernek likes this.
  4. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Thanks for input ! I will try RTSS for sure ! I have it installed. My framerate never goes bellow 48 fps because I tweak settings for 55-60 fps minimum and I only play a few games so it's not a concern for me. I will give the test a try also :D would love to see if I notice it or not ...

5. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    @RealNC works perfectly ! and about the test I tried it myself and I can notice a slight lag :D Thanks for help guys

6. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    Did somebody try Freesync + RTSS RivaTuner FPS Limit -2 or -3 your monitor Hz + Enhanced Sync (and disable V-Sync in-game)?

I know that you can find test of G-Sync+RTSS+Fast Sync on BlurBuster (https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/8/) but Nvidia FastSync is different than AMD Enhanced Sync.

https://www.blurbusters.com/amd-introduces-enhanced-sync-in-crimson-relive-17-7-2/

'(...)Unlike Fast Sync, however, Enhanced Sync acts more like Nvidia’s Adaptive VSync whenever the framerate falls below the refresh rate, where it can dynamically disable itself and allow tearing to maintain input responsiveness at lower framerates(....)'.

But this is about AMD Enhanced Sync alone (without FreeSync and RTSS).

Maybe it could be fix for games with broken in-game V-Sync (so when you can't use FreeSync+RTSS+in-game V-Sync without problems like stuttering) or maybe method for all or the most of games.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  7. shakyor

shakyor Active Member

GPU:
    380x
    I got my AOC 2590PX with 144hz Freesync 30-144.
    But it don't work very well.
    In some games it is okay in other games there is still tearing and/or stuttering.
    Freesync is on and the fps perfect in the range.

What i already tried:
    -AOC Driver and Windows PnP Driver
    -Exclusiv Fullscreen, Borderless Windowed
    -Vsync on/off.
    -other/older amd drivers

Where it works:
    Dying Light, Witcher 3, Left 4 Dead 1,2, Alien Isolation
    Where don't:
    Divinity Original Sin 1/ 2, Nioh, Dark Souls 1-3, Borderlands 1-3, Dead Space 1-3 and some other Games

Any ideas?

(Sry for my bad english :D )

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    run exclusive fullscreen, and use RTSS to cap framerates to -3 frames from max.

9. shakyor

shakyor Active Member

GPU:
    380x
    Already did. But it doesn't work.

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    also "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" this will allow for true exclusive fullscreen

11. Meccs

Meccs Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8G
    How are we back to suggesting Ench.Sync ON and VSync OFF when all previous discussions were absolutely clear to limit to -2 and VSync ON tested by @yasamoka
    battlenonsense also tested FreeSync with the "cap below refresh" and VSync ON and there was no additional input lag. So I would still trust both these guys more than anyone here in the forum suggesting XYZ because "he feels that it works for him". Enhanced sync is bad as well as the Adrenaline FPS limiter and Chill since it can frack with your aim in FPS due to inconstant frame times! (also tested by battlenonsense)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  12. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    Maybe you do not have to use V-Sync with FreeSync (or G-Sync) if you do this ('How To Fix Stutter In Games - Frame Rate, Frame Time & RTSS' - 'Battle(non)sense' YouTube channel) -

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You still have to use V-Sync if your chosen framerate limit is close to the refresh rate. At worst, V-Sync will have no effect, but at best, V-Sync will help prevent tearing.

14. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    I'm not sure but in some games in-game V-Sync implementations have inconsistent, bad framepacing (frametimes).

For example:
    - Dark Souls III - https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/365163686080637273/
    - Life is Strange - https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2052 ('(...)The default frame-pacing is terrible, which seems to be a common issue with games running on Unreal Engine 3(...)')
    - Anthem maybe - https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...urn_off_vsync_or_use_vsync_in_nvidia_control/
    - Amnesia 1, Crysis 1 - https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/8ew4pj/difference_between_nvidia_control_panel_vsync_and/
    - maybe GTA V - https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/64ha1g/tip_use_nvidia_driver_vsync_over_ingame_vsync_if/

If you have Radeon you usually can't use in-driver V-Sync because for AMD it works only for OpenGL and RadeonPro is old and doesn't work in every game.

So at least for games with bad V-Sync you have a chance that you will not have tearing with disabled V-Sync on FreeSync monitor - if you lock FPS with RTSS on number which your PC can maintain (almost always?).

I was afraid that if I would buy Radeon and FreeSync monitor I would have some games with bad framepacing (because trashy V-Sync) or tearing (without that V-Sync) but maybe it will not tear if you put good number in frame limiter in RTSS.

15. shakyor

shakyor Active Member

GPU:
    380x
    For me Ingame Vsync ON always work perfect.
    No stutter, no tearing.
    W/o Freesync the framepacing is terrible yes, but with freesync on everythink is ok.

16. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    Did you try any games which have bad in-game V-Sync (not all games have bad in-game V-Sync)? Maybe these from my previous post and maybe Skyrim, Falllout 4, I'm not sure about Witcher 3 (it probably had trashy V-Sync but I don't know if it is still has after updates).

Do you use RivaTuner...(RTSS) FPS cap on maybe 141FPS (if you have 144Hz monitor) or on less FPS (depends on your framerate in game to prevent too big fluctuation) like in Battle(non)Sense video below?

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  17. shakyor

shakyor Active Member

GPU:
    380x
    I tested Skyrim SE, Fallout 4 & Witcher 3 for you with there Ingame Vsync.
    Works great for me.

I don't use any fps limiter just vsync.
    If the game i want to play do not have a vsync option i use frtc to cap the fps.
    Rivatuner break freesync for me and i get tearing. Frtc works.

Sry for my bad english skillz ;)

18. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    No FPS limiter? But if you have for example 144Hz monitor and you get maybe 142 FPS (or more) you will get input lag like in normal V-Sync. To get FreeSync's low input lag you have to use FPS limiter on maybe 141 FPS (144-3) or less.

On the other hand maybe at least in Witcher 3 you have often (or always) less FPS than 142 or 141 (depends on your hardware and graphical settings in-game).

19. shakyor

shakyor Active Member

GPU:
    380x
    Vsync Input-Lag never bothered me.
    I don't play any MP Shooter so it's okay for me.

But yes, i tested a fps limit ~3Fps below max refreshrate and it was a bit better.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Leave vsync off and use frtc+freesync.