How to force full power on 1080Ti?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Danny_G13, May 26, 2019.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    So, I know there's 'maximum performance' power mode in the NCP (and in windows itself), but even with that on, in some games the power/usage dips.

I know this is to do with the April update which apparently ruined this feature, but is there any way to force the GPU to use full power at all times in a game, rather than fluctuating in some like it does in Wildlands or Anthem?

I noticed this is a huge issue with freesync on - it's fine with it off, but with it on, the usage can go to 50% at times. Then randomly bounce back to full.

Where can I force the power on full at all times?

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    How did an 'April Update' affect GPU Boost? The only way to do what you'd like is lock the clocks, and you know this already having participated in an earlier thread regarding this.

3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I know 1080ti is only like mere 275w, Very very low for these cards.

Gpu Throttles down every single time, moment I use XOC bios, Everything changed, huge game changer but make sure you get very well quality psu, xoc bios is known to eat 550w, just the card itself.

I would start slowly through cmd feature on changing the power draw then work yourself up, XOC bios is like last resort.

And I would ONLY recommend using this bios with AIO or custom watercooling setup, other then that, I would strongly recommend against using this bios, No joke.

4. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Very happy with my 1080Ti, insider build 18898, latest oc scanner, GPU Boost now at 2000 ,from 1987, but core is down from 1632 to 1615.
    Card Power Limit Watts

EVGA FTW3 Ultra 150% (250w base) 373w

MSI Duke 111% (300w base) 333w

EVGA XC Ultra 130% (250w base) 325w-330w

MSI Trio 110% (300w base) 330w

ASUS Strix 125% (250w base) 315w

Nvidia FE 123% (250w base) 307w

GIGABYTE Cards 122% (250w base) 305w

Zotac AMP 115% (260w base) 299w
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2019

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Very good.

Like before, only problem is that gpu speed constantly throttles up and down, all due to the power output of these cards are low. Although the evga 330w bios will help, it didn't help me that much, I knew before I went to use xoc bios, I was well aware of the dangers, in the end, I couldn't even be more happier, constant 2038-2050mhz at ALL times, never throttles down, if it does, it will go down one notch, all due to temps, other then that, Rock Solid and perfectly stable and cool as hell to boot.

Only one major problem, when I had 2 of these bad boys, My 1200w single rail seasonic gold gave up, so I put a secondary psu, night and day difference, ROCK SOLID STABLE.

2 evga SC2 1080ti AIO version.

Temps is like upper 30's into the low 40c's, but I havent used the 1080ti in several months because I been very busy with my 4 gtx 9xx and making it to work. always wanted to do 4 way, so far so good.

Temp will defin't be higher due to summer right around the corner, so I suspect in the upper 40's at least and into the very low 50's.

But this is with 2 scythe fan @ 110cfm in a push and pull configuration on each gpu/radiator, running at Full 12v speed @ all times.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  6. ngoni615

ngoni615 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti 11gb
    My gpu booost to 2050 and is locked there palit super jetsream 1080ti. It boosts to 2000mhz by itself i have it overclocked and it maintains 2050mhz in gaming and memory is solid at 12640mhz
    https://snag.gy/GSUQht.jpg
    [​IMG]

7. ngoni615

ngoni615 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti 11gb
    You should set your temp and volts to max like i did there. And it should boost to the max provided you are not temperature throttling. The from there u can start overclocking and enabling max performance on the NCP

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yeah...no, unless you're volt modding you're not pulling anywhere near 500 watts per GPU. Secondarily, stock FE BIOS on a stock EVGA FE card with a Hybrid installed: 2050 all day under 50C UNDERVOLTED at 1.012 volts. So meh, you're doing it wrong.

9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Lol, probably was looking at total system wattage with only one gpu, but I did remembering seeing over 550w.

I will check with kill-a-watt next time I test.

If I remembered correctly, 300+w but cant remember, been quite sometime.

10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I assuming you are updated yours motherboard drivers and BIOS etc

You are really don't need XOC BIOS on GTX1080Ti, there are several good BIOS, I still running stock FE BIOS on my GTX1080's and GTX1080Ti as well and no issues, there are only few games where I have seen higher power usage than 110% and my GTX1080Ti doing easy 2113MHz at 1.07v or 2139MHz with 1.093v with +400MHz OC on VRAM

To OP try check if you are hitting any power or voltage limit on yours GPU, do few benchmarks on CPU if its running at yours OC, some updates can screw OC this has happened to me with Win 10 latest update where everything has been on first sight OK but in reality my CPU has run normal stock clocks not 4.7GHz OC

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I think it´s normal for any modern GPU to have power/performance changes according to the performance required by the games being played. Anyway you can use afterburner and set the power and temperature limits to the max so the GPU can reach higher speeds for longer periods.

12. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. I'm trying to chew through this but I may have expressed this incorrectly in the first place.

To clarify: when freesync is off, I get max power at all times in all games. 99% solid, no issues with performance. It's fine.

When I turn it on, for 95% of games, same deal. Sorted - stable power and great performance - freesync works perfectly. But for that 5% of games (Wildlands, Anthem being the standouts), with freesync on (only on, off is fine), the power fluctuates down to 50%, then randomly up to full, then bounces back down to some low random number - and the performance goes choppy and unstable. I can stand still and it is butter smooth then a second later it's cr*pped out again.

And this is why I'm asking if there's a power override to force the GPU to lock into full power and full performance.

I use Afterburner and I've got the card overclocked (+150 +500) and stable - with power up at 120%.

But, in reference to the first reply - my understanding is the big April Update changed something fundamentally, and this started becoming an issue. In just a few games.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/freesync-and-dx11-12.426716/#post-5670833

This reply is getting at what I'm on about.

Hope this sheds light on what I'm whining about?

13. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    PS FYI I'm fully watercooled with an AIO EVGA cooler. It generally is about ~50C with light gaming and 70C under heavy load.

14. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    PS I tried the infamous XOC bios. Even THAT didn't work!?!

15. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Ok, I boosted GPU core voltage to max and there was a massive improvement. Still happened but not as much. Definitely onto something now?

16. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Yes, your post was very illuminating. Certainly the most useful info I think I've had yet. How do I know if I'm temperature throttling?

17. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

70C, WTH???????

I have gotten in the low 60's, Even then thats WAY WAY to hot.

I then re-seated the Block and put new Thermal paste, temp went to low 60's to 40's, just re-seating the block.

Cause When I saw going in the upper 50's then low 60's, I knew right then and there, something is wrong here.

So I then try re-seating the waterblock, Made World of a difference, your not kiddin'.

And ever since then, temps were like upper 30's, low 40's, but that was several months ago, busy messing with my 4 gtx 970's, so summer time is around the corner so rise in temps will be apparent.

Cause If you lets say, carrying the darn unit, and you are hold the card on one hand, and the hose/rad on the other hand, lets then say you drop the card by accident on the other hand but still holding the hose on the other hand, the waterblock could be moved a bit, and temps could be greatly affected.

So its very very important when holding the card, to take it real easy putting in the system and taking it out.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  18. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Not seen those temperatures in the real world buddy - not with my overclock. I've seen quite a few benchmarks go into the 60s, and I find it hard to believe you're down at 40 if you're overclocking?

Like right now my GPU is idling around 22C but I've not done anything much. Soon as I launch a game with this OC it'll hike.

19. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    This also makes a difference. You're creating more air - more fans. And that's more noise. For mine it's just the one fan. And my block is an AIO as well.

20. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Noise isnt all that bad. Used to it, :).