AMD Announces Ryzen 7 3700X, 3800X and Ryzen 9 3900X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2019.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    My, how the tables have turned. This looks to be AMDs Core 2 Duo moment that Intel pulled back in 2006 which entirely upset the CPU market. Quite happy that they've finally done it. No one wants a perpetual market leader. Intel now have a double whammy, they have to contend with the security issues affecting their CPUs as well. The market will be savage with them over the next year at least.

carnivore, Warrax, AsiJu and 3 others like this.
  2. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    For those on a X370 and X350.

[​IMG]

airbud7 and AsiJu like this.
  3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    My gut feeling is 16 core parts are TR 3950x, 3970x and 3990x with 5ghz boost version.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Your IPC is laughable.

Robbo9999, Ricardo and typhon6657 like this.

5. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    unfortunatly it seems so :( damnit if they were 5ghz capable out the box i wouldn't have to wait for benchmarks and just order a mobo and continue planning, now i gotta wait for reviews to see if it's still the best option.

(i play both new and old games so wile the IPC gain is nice not sure it's enough to make 4.6 compete with 5.0... i hope it can or that the cpu's have some easily achievable headroom to march towards 5ghz)

also i've found the amd boards a bit ugly compared to the intel boards (usually not a dealbreaker but my pc nowadays sits ontop of my desk and my next case is glass front and side so......i'll be seeing it a lot), that's finally fixed with the x570 boards and now they got a 40mm fan on the southbridge/chipset/whatever it's called these days, if that thing makes any noise at all another dealbreaker as i don't want to have to get yet another water block to shut something up.

6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Ebay is about to be flooded with cheap older i5's / i7's ^^

7. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Is that even confirmed? It would be sort of smart to use 2 harvested dies with 4 active cores for an 8-core CPU, instead of requiring fully functional 8-core dies.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    What already? You IPC is exactly same at 1GHz, 4GHz, or 5GHz. It won't change. The only thing that would change it would be disabling some stuff in the BIOS and installing the nice new microcodes that patch the thousand security holes in the Intel CPUs.

Don't make your high school's physics teacher cry with your comments, man.

Herem, carnivore, Warrax and 4 others like this.
  9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    AM4 motherboard saves them money unless they upgrade that too. The urge to upgrade is always there regardless of blue or red.

typhon6657 likes this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Actually, his IPC is probably lower at 5.2GHz than on stock or lower clock due to memory bandwidth and timing requirement.

AsiJu likes this.

11. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    I know it feels bad to be milked by Intel when you see a much more cheaper variant. :D Poor guy.

So cool you are. Intel troll. And yet you can't understand that on FHD with your 1080Ti you can't get a single extra fps. :D

Mantra? Maybe the rumours said 5GHz, AMD never. So what mantra are you talking about? You talk about high TDP when you have a Coffee Lake K product line with enourmous TDP. Funny guy you are. And not to forget, if you call it mantra, 9900K also had the mantra of 5GHz and didn't get it.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    If you think overclocking increases IPC then you clearly do not understand what it means. That's like saying you can carry more water per bottle by using more bottles.

Kool64, yasamoka, airbud7 and 7 others like this.
  13. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    My god, so much uneducated noise here.

Ryzen doesn't need to reach 5Ghz, because the clock speed is irrelevant when not coupled with IPC - which stands for Instructions PER CLOCK. That means that a processor with higher IPC can do more on the same clocks when compared with processors that have lower IPC.

If you want a 5Ghz CPU, perhaps you're interested in this?
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-9590+Eight-Core&id=2014
    (The answer to this sarcastic question is 'no', because this CPU IPC sucks, even though it can boost to 5Ghz out of the box).

To add to that, the excellent reviews of Guru3D also show that ryzen 2700x have an IPC score of 148, only 4 points behind the i7 8700k. By doing some simple math, we add 15% to the 2700x IPC and get a score of ~170, so these new processors actually have BETTER IPC than even the 9900k, which has a score of 153.
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_2700x_review,9.html
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i9_9900k_processor_review,7.html

So, yeah, not only these ryzen CPUs will be just as fast or even faster than your 5.2Ghz CPU, but they will also consume WAY less power to do so, even before any overclock.

14. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Still running a 1800x and not really planning to upgrade until next year when the computer will be almost 3 years old (unless the price is really really good). I'm a lot more interested in Navi for now cause i would like to upgrade my almost 3 years old 1070 for something not costing more than 600$ CAD.

Man i rofled for about 5 minutes reading this.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Ricardo and BReal85 like this.
  15. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Forget this man. He is an Intel troll.

typhon6657, kviksand81 and Ricardo like this.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    As enthusiastic as I am about the new AMD chips, will never be an early adopter. Must wait at least 6 months for all the kinks, bugs, bios issues to be ironed out.

anticupidon and MonstroMart like this.
  17. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    @Ricardo - I was about to post something similar. Coffee Lake is about 4% faster than Pinnacle Ridge (Zen+) so Zen 2 has just jumped in front by about 11%. Zen 2 at 4.5GHz is like Coffee Lake at 5.0GHz.

Ricardo likes this.
  18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The second proc announced is the Ryzen 7 3800X. This processor has 8 Cores, 16 threads with a 4.5 GHz Boost and 3.9 GHz base clock frequencies. It has 36 MB total cache. It has been compared to a Core i9 9900K on stage. The proc ran the same perf as the 9900K in game. This proc will have a 105 Watt TDP.

Unless you mean overclocked? o_O

BReal85 likes this.
  19. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    I watched the Computex stream.
    Great news and finally fair prices for optimal performance. I hope the new Threadripper will be as much promising as Ryzen 7-9 was.

Zen 2 is not affected by Meltdown and Spoiler vulnerabilities, and according to earlier feedback it appears that Spectre was successfully fixed with AMD's new 7nm architecture.
    Edit: I'd like to get new feedback regarding the security vulnerabilities.

thesebastian, AsiJu and BReal85 like this.
  20. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Wow, ingenious for sure!

"The proc ran the same perf as the 9900K in game"

And what about vulnerabilities? Poor guy, really.

theoneofgod likes this.