Considering building a new system - how would I keep using my X-Fi?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Truder, May 25, 2019.

1. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Now some may remember, back in 2015, I bought a SoundBlaster Z, and paired it along with my already existing X-Fi Faltal1ty Platinum Series. SBZ used for output, X-Fi used for input with it's drive bay expansion for its inputs (Auxiliary input, 1/4" input etc etc).

Onto today, I'm anticipating the release of Ryzen 3000 and have noticed, pretty much with all new modern motherboards today and of course, in the future (even in the last few generations) no longer support PCI interface so I will be presented with a dilemma.... As mentioned in the title, how would I be able to use my X-Fi without being able to use a PCI connection?

I've done a little bit of research and it does appear that there are active adaptors to convert legacy PCI to pcie x1 but I have a few concerns. Which adaptors would work for the X-Fi? How would this affect compatibility? As far as I know, the X-Fi is rather sensitive to the bus it is connected to and I could foresee it being troublesome. The other problem I've seen is that many of the adaptors are for converting half-height cards - fortunately, this wouldn't be such a problem as I could use a riser cable and mount the card in one of the off-motherboard mounts supported by my case but even so I'd be concerned if this would again affect the card.

Like I said though, I'm anticipating Ryzen 3000 so it wont be for a while until I upgrade but I'd like to be aware of any options and solutions available to me without having to buy into professional and ultimately, cost prohibitive equipment for my simple home media usage which include routing old game console audio, tape decks and vinyl record players (occasionally I record Vinyl records to flac, although I actually need to get a new stylus).

Thanks for reading and I'll appreciate any help and assistance.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Don't bother, get a titanium.

3. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    The Titanium doesn't have the same amount of expansive capabilities, I use the drive bay from my X-Fi with it's extensive range of inputs, Titanium doesn't have as an expansive drive bay - it would be redundant to my SBZ in that case.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the pci card became redundant when you bought it.

GSDragoon likes this.

5. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I haven't bought any new hardware yet.... This isn't exactly helpful... have you read my opening post?

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I had and reviewed the last great XFi PCI card, the 4, and I can tell you that that the current generation of PCIe cards have outdone them in quality.

Time to retire the PCI Z.

7. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    You might have to stick to your current hardware (motherboard), if you wan to keep using the X-Fi Faltal1ty Platinum.

8. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I'm not using the X-Fi for output, it's only being used as an input device - Soundblaster Z is the the primary output device on PCIe (I have two soundcards in my system). I just want to retain the functionality of the front panel expansion bay
    This thing:-
    [​IMG]

9. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Which front panel inputs do you use on the X-Fi and which front panel inputs on the X-Fi you do not use?

10. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I've used them all, don't really use spdif coax/digital though, midi in/out have on occasion used them (quite fun to use with synthesizers), not often though.

If there's no way of being able to run the X-Fi over PCIe then yeah I'll resign it to a legacy system but ideally I want to keep using it if at all possible.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Not many cards have the connector for breakout boxes anymore. You would need to see if the card has the pin layout installed on an online pic for any card from creative.

You can also look into any current card that comes with a breakout box, tho I cannot think of one off-hand.

My XFi USB HD has Line-Out, Line-In/Phono In (RCA on both), Headphone and Mic (1/4"), GND, and Optical In/Out. The unit is only capable of Stereo output, and the Line-Out is 2A vs 1A on the Headphone port, so I prefer to use that wired to my headphone amp, or external speakers.

12. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
  13. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Where is this review?

14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I did it for the old 3DSoundSurge.com website, which I believe is no longer up. :(

15. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    The expansion connector is the same as featured on Sounblasters prior to the X-Fi (Such as the Audigy series. No newer cards have the same expansion support such as the X-Fi Titanium or SBZ)

It's most likely what I'll do but I wonder if anyone has used these types of adaptors before?

I suppose I could always look towards finding a Soundblaster ZXR (Although considering I already have a Z...)

Last edited: May 29, 2019

16. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I'm going to get some myself but haven't got any yet

17. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I'd recommend a brand new, USB soundcard and go for what you can afford.
    Soundquality had been going up and up over the years, USB offers years of support and a cleaner signal in theory.
    Most USB devices don't require much driver wise to fully function as well.
    Connectivity should be the same or greater.
    You can go gamerbrands like Creative and Asus, but I'm sure there are USB soundcards from known audio brands like Roland, Yamaha and Onkyo. MAudio comes to mind, but it's been years I've heard from them.

Ps, depending on where you're from I'm interested in your PCI X-fi ^^