Are new monitors just around the corner?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Ahmad Bilal, May 26, 2019.

1. Ahmad Bilal

Ahmad Bilal Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon
    I'm in the market for a new display. But both on some local retailers that I have & on newegg.com .. a lot of monitors are out of stock across most brands. Many are on heavy discount, and the overall outlook looks skewed.

I'm guessing that with Computex 2019 (28MaytoJune1) and the start of Q3 (from June1) are around the corner, so it may mean that a whole ton of new monitors are inbound?

What do you think? am I right?

waltc3 likes this.
  2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    what do you need from your monitor?

Serotonin likes this.
  3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Well, NVIDIA is hinting at something "SUPER", and my guess it's a NV branded monitor line.

4. Ahmad Bilal

GPU:
    Radeon
    Nothing in particular (and specially not high end 500$+), but more value for money perhaps. I would not want to buy a monitor that was launched 2 years ago, while missing out on a just launched monitor.

Have heard of it, but it is similar to the BFG displays imho. Still a bit far away.
    Besides I'm not looking for some high end monitor

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Nothing wrong with a few year old IPS/1440p/GSYNC/165hz/27" monitor that is hardware calibrated.

It would be good to know what you want from a monitor and how much you're willing to spend. Because monitors will wildly vary on what you want to use them for.

Do you want a cheap 1080p TN panel with 240hz refresh rate to play shooters? Do you want better viewing angles and more accurate colours with a higher resolution? What do you want?

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The next series of monitors will be some sort of OLED/MicroLED variant. But that hasn't even hit the monitor sector as a mainstream thing as of yet.

As of right now you want either:
    -1440p/4k
    -Offers 120/144hz
    -Frame Rate Control
    -Freesync
    -1ms input lag (through reviews). Not more then 5ms input lag. No, not g2g, input lag.

I don't know what the "best" panel is but Innolux is looking pretty good from what I've seen. It's found in benq EL series, Gigabyte to name a few.

7. Ahmad Bilal

GPU:
    Radeon
    As I have said, I'm not looking for anything specific, but maybe in less than 500$ range. I know how to compare the specs, down to the minute details (like 4:4:4 getting downsampled to 4:2:2 when using 10-bit color problem on Asus PG27UQ). Ofcourse, TN models have higher res & fps, while IPS monitors have better picture quality and colors in every price bracket. I'm not asking for advice (regarding which monitor to buy) actually, but rather confirmation.

I merely want to point out (and confirm/discuss) ... that slightly updated monitors are inbound starting next week or not. Could you be kind enough to check your local retailer website (one that is updated often), to see if a majority of monitors are "out of stock"?

Yes, there is something wrong with buying a monitor that is 2years old, specially if there is a new updated version of that monitor that fits in the same price range is inbound. Look at BenQ SW2700PT vs SW270c (just announced) and compare the specs carefully (specially HDCP).

8. Ahmad Bilal

GPU:
    Radeon
    Well based on the recently announced displays & their estimated pricing (from computex 2019), I don't think I can get 2k/4k+IPS+120/144hz in under 500$ definitely.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Not immediately, no, but prices will settle in time.

10. Ahmad Bilal

GPU:
    Radeon
    Just read the AUO quarterly update. And it seems I was right. It might be worth it to wait a few months :)

11. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i grabbed 2 aurous monitors the original ones for 500 each .. threw them on a stand and called it a day... calibrated them .. turned on HDR and look great. of course right after i buy them ,they release newer ones but it always happens.

12. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    A former telepoint manager told me the tech of today's screens is at a 99% been there done that level. There's nothing truly new to expect that will blow us away.

There's 8K but that's a joke imo, we dont even have true 4K content everywhere.

So apparently the next upcoming tech are super flat screens that you can hang on walls like a piece of animated paper.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    4k and up is just an excuse to take our money.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I one up that, we dont even have true 1080p content everywhere, most sat/cable feed are sub 1080p and highly compressed at that. to this day I still see a night and day difference from "1080p" cable/sat and bluray 1080p. hell 1080p on most streaming platforms are closer to 1080p and even that isnt the same as bluray.

I have 4k TV but zero content to play on it and anything thing that is sub 1080p on it is asstastic

Dish networks Hopper3 platform is amazing hardware sadly most the feed are not 720p let alone 1080p, in fact there actual resolution isnt even "progressive" is still interlace and upscaled by the box.

I still waiting for OLED to become more wide spread and it been more then 10 years since it been announced, I miss CRT black which where actual black unless the crt went back, and there response time which in the nano seconds vs ms of current tech. the blur cause by this in fast moving scenes, objects and text is still and eye sore to me

15. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I just pulled the trigger on this:

Amazon.com: BenQ EW3270U 32 inch 4K HDR Monitor with FreeSync: Gateway

It is $449 (discounted from $479, which was discounted from $699 originally) which seems a decent price for this monitor. From what I have read it uses the same 10-bit (not FRC) panel as my AoC U3277PWQU:

INNOLUX M315DJJ-K30 Datasheet

....which is kind of interesting, if accurate, but BenQ is doing a lot more with that panel than AoC did with it (the wife will be getting the AoC, which she's happy about, which makes me happy, and gives me a great excuse to buy this!--(devious scoundrel that I am!--).

Yes, it was my thought exactly that newer monitors are going to roll in because of these monitors being heavily discounted at Amazon--plus, they (Amazon) offered me five months to pay, same as cash, no interest or fees! But here's the thing--when the new ones roll in, will they be superior to what they are replacing? Unknown! On top of that, they'll be jacked way up in price for awhile, too. It's like buying anything else--buy at closeout sales and save a lot of money--usually. I've spent the last three days reading reviews and watching YouTube reviews, and the consensus seems to be overwhelmingly positive. I did the same with the AoC before purchase and was not disappointed in the least.

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I bought Gigabytes newest CV27F 1080p/165hz monitor. And it doesn't disappoint, the colors are amazing, the coating is thankfully very light so whites are really white and not grainy like most monitors.
    I've had 1440p/4K monitors in the passed, i'm still not impressed, 1080p still looks good enough to me even at 27".

It's a bit more expensive then their competitors, but it was worth it for me. HDR actually looks decent, and it hits 420cd/m2 peak nits wich is great.
    Still i'm not using HDR for my games though, i don't like how bright it can get.

So far it's the best looking monitor i've ever purchased, i'm so blown away by the picture quality and colors.
    It does have local dimming wich i'm not a fan of. :(

17. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Sounds great!--glad you like it--to me the right monitor is as subjective a purchase as we ever make! But it's also just as important if not moreso than what we buy in the way of GPUs--true for me, anyway. I look at it like this, it's a 50/50 split between the monitor we buy and the GPU we buy as to how good the resulting image quality is going to be. They are both equally important , imo! Why buy a powerful GPU but a chintzy monitor to go with it--or vice-versa? Hopefully, most people don't do that anymore. I don't think anyone looks at 512x512 DOOM clips and drools, these days--maybe upchucks, I guess....;) I still remember my CRT days and shudder at the $600 Sony Trinitron shipped from Sony to my door that I at one time believed could never be equaled....! Man, was I dumb--had no clue as to what was coming down the pike, and actually thought supporting only one native resolution was a big detriment....! All false objections, as I would learn. CRTs seem Flintstone-ish today! But....I've gotten spoiled by 4k--but I won't even go that route unless there's a heck of a good sale along with it! Like 50% off, or thereabouts. (Which I've seen a lot of lately, for some reason!) I also see what you mean--1080P done right can be gorgeous, and there's no discounting the huge shot in the arm the resolution gives frame-rates! Thanks for the info on your monitor! Enjoy!

A word with you about HDR in general....this BenQ is actually HDR10, 300-350nits, and theoretically the BenQ doesn't have the max nits required, like for instance 400, or 450, like yours, or 600 or even 1,000 nits--but by the same token a game I have--Obduction--the recent Myst knock-off by the Myst guys (which is fascinating for me now), supports HDR. I can't really believe how much better the game looks in Win10 HDR mode than in gorgeous rec20/20 RGB mode, or similar--that I usually find myself using! They did HDR right for this game, imo. So...is 600nits or 1000 nits required for top-end graphics presentation? Sure doesn't seem like it, does it? I've heard the "too-bright by far" refrain more than once before now, especially for 600nits-1,000nit HDR displays. Obduction on this BenQ has sold me on HDR--if, that is, it's done right. Some games claim to "support" HDR, but the fact is that some games do it a lot better than others. This monitor has a neat feature, I think--it's called "HDR Emulation" and it's specifically designed for normal 3d-API displayed games. It automatically throws the monitor into an HDR-wide gamut for color even if the game doesn't support HDR or supports it in a less-than-adequate measure. Larian's fine D: OS2 has "HDR" support, but it really looks flat and very punk. Larian told me after inquiring that not much of an effort was made for D: OS2's HDR support, and it shows. But the game's normal display is very good/excellent, I think, and when I turn on HDR: Emulated (instead of actual HDR mode) the game looks noticeably better than normal. I'm sure that the upcoming BG3 will take HDR much more seriously.

Even with my ~300 nits, a beautiful HDR display is possible if it's done right in the software, so possibly in your case, if you find the 450 nits too bright in HDR mode, you can certainly try to lower the brightness/gamma of the HDR display and that might solve it for you! I found in Obduction in HDR mode that lowering the game's gamma through the game's own gamma adjustment does wonders for the game's HDR display--makes a big difference. Else the game might appear too bright on my 300 nit monitor, as well!....;) HDR is certainly a somewhat small thing now, but from what I've seen the potential is great.

One other HDR tidbit I noticed is that for some reason HDR streaming looks very inferior to the same HDR content that is run locally, instead of streamed. Must be something in the streaming compression that is degrading the streamed HDR content, I'd guess.

18. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    I`d really like to know where these 3 monitors are:

AOC AGON AG353UCG
    Acer Predator X35
    ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ

Vaporwhere, that`s where they are. 1st they were coming out in Oct./Nov. Nothing so far. Then it`ll be Christmas. Doubt it. More like next year some time. If ever. Tbh with all the advertizing they were doing, I thought they`d be out 4th 1/4 LAST year. aarrgghh

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    @waltc3 New owner of a EW3270U as well. Based on your feedback, you didn't have any blanking issues. When you go to fullscreen video mode, or HDR, does the panel blank out for a couple of seconds? Games using VRR were blanking on me too, until I changed the Power settings in NVCP.

Also, did you calibrate your unit?