Toshiba and Panasonic stop deliveries of certain products to Huawei

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 24, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    What I find downright sad is that all of this is being done without a single shred of evidence

3. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Utterly true.

It now appears Trump is willing to 'compromise' but only in order to further re-balance trade with China...this whole mess due to an inability to remove a certain other hat he keeps wearing. What's disgusting about it all is just how many puppets were so keen to play a part, and how much rhetoric/hyperbole was to rear it's head.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  4. bjtag

bjtag Member

GPU:
    1080ti to Titan XP
    What's sad the MateSE is one of the BEST phones I have ever had.................

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Here's what I don't understand:
    Why are so many non-American brands cutting off Huawei? I don't see why companies like SoftBank, Toshiba, and Panasonic couldn't work with Huawei without the US being involved at all. Companies like Google, MS, and Intel are more understandable.
    Furthermore, why isn't every hardware supplier (who isn't Chinese) cutting them off, all at the same time?

Well, there might be evidence, but the public hasn't been shown any of it. But, I think people would be more on-board with all of this if they did publicize some of this info. So, I think you're right to be skeptical.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So... you still don't think that the US has had talks with the Japanese government? When the Japanese see the US as their closest ally in the pacific region, already scared by China's ambition in the seas around Japan, as well as a general North Korean threat? I am not surprised tbh.

airbud7 and tunejunky like this.
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well sure but I don't really see why Japan has any obligation to regulate its companies because an allied government seems to have a vendetta against Huawei. It's not Japan's law and there's no way in hell the US would penalize Japan because a couple of companies don't want to lose money due to foreign sanctions that have nothing to do with them. The fact I even have to say that sounds so weird to me. There are plenty of things the US does that their allies don't take part in, why should this be any different? It's not like Panasonic and Toshiba were going to help keep Huawei afloat at this rate, so as far as I'm concerned, all of this is an abuse of power.

8. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    US has a lot of Leverage, and is using it.

9. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It didn't even last a day. Big bad USA is definitely forcing non-US companies to do these things though :rolleyes:.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What's with all this hate against Huawei all the sudden? Is it because they were one of the first 5g makers? Lol.

I personally prefer other products, but that doesn't make me go kill it

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    As I understand it (as this has been covered in the UK, a lot) is that the 5G tech planned for deployment in mobile transmitter masts has 'security concerns'.

As such, the UK (not really paying much attention to USA right now, of no personal interest) is deeply concerned about this tech, and as a sort of technocratic coitus interruptus - has said 'no'.

The deeper political UK issue is not something we can talk about here - yet, the security council in the UK is in the throws of further evaluation, so...nothing with absolute clarity, just a lot of smoke and people looking for the fire.

That's just my non-political viewpoint, based on existing parliamentary discussions and points of order.

I wait and see.

-Tj- likes this.
  12. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    They all do business in the States and aren't willing to risk being tarred with the same brush simple really.

13. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Fcking hell, its like a dam Witch Hunt

14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    well sir, apparently you're not in tune with the realm of politics, particularly Japanese politics.
    also, keep in mind that the U.S. is the #1 trading partner with Japan and Japan has a conservative government that is already under military , political, and economic pressure from China. no week goes past without a Chinese incursion into Japanese waters or economic zones.
    furthermore, the unrepentant stance by the Chinese over (everything) IP theft bothers Japan way more than the U.S. which is why you see Softbank/ARM, Panasonic, et al... eagerly joining in.
    Huawei is a defacto arm of the Chinese government, as is any Chinese company that size in China.

15. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    One of the first complain about Huawei was that they did business with Iran and apparently tried to hide it. In fact Huawei CFO is currently stuck in Canada and risk deportation to USA and jail time for being suspected of doing business with Iran and lying about it to some banks.

I think USA banning Huawei is a pretty good reason to not do business with Huawei right now considering what happened to their CFO and the company as a whole.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Again... there's no way the US would throw Japan under the bus like that just because a couple companies want to make some sales. Remember, they weren't going to make many more sales - Huawei was doomed regardless of their influence.
    You all think I'm the one out of touch here but not even Trump is dumb enough to realize how bad it would be if they chose to punish Japan in some way over something so petty. It's one thing to pressure SoftBank, because Huawei legit cannot survive without them, so it kinda makes sense why the US would intervene with them. But Toshiba and Panasonic aren't that important to Huawei, and Huawei's demise without ARM was inevitable. So, to force any additional companies to comply is really nothing more than a power-play. The diplomacy of this whole situation is already bad enough as is, I really don't think Japan (let alone non-government foreign companies) should be involuntarily dragged into this.
    If that were true, the companies would've pulled out of supporting Huawei (on their own) a long time ago. So, since they're really just trying not to piss off the US government, that to me shows these companies were probably thinking "we can't stop them from stealing out IP so we might as well profit from it". Now, their IP will be stolen and they get nothing.

I'm not questioning the US banning Huawei; I don't care about that. What bothers me is the US telling foreign companies how to run their business.
    Also, I don't see how Huawei's trading with Iran has anything to do with Toshiba or Panasonic.

17. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

you misunderstand me completely.
    i'm not saying -at all- that the U.S. will or would pressure Japan. this is entirely voluntary by the Japanese for the reasons i cited, plus P.M. Abe is fond of currying favor with trump.
    the only country less popular than China in Japan would be North Korea, and the IP thefts have hit the Japanese harder (in relative terms) than the U.S.

18. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
  19. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    In the future they will narrate to posterity how an annoying orange killed a colossal company just for boredom... And they still accuse Targaryens to be psychos...

20. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    yeah but trump is a Lannister

airbud7 likes this.