i7 3770K vs AMD FX-8350 in 2019?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DSparil, Apr 8, 2019.

?

What is the better processor in 2019, i7 3770K or AMD FX-8350?

1. AMD FX-8350

12.0%
  2. Intel i7 3770K by a LONG SHOT

76.0%
  3. Intel i7 3770K only by a little

12.0%
  1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    The title nearly says it all. How does the i7 3770K stack up vs the FX-8350 in 2019? Is it still a far superior hardware? Rumor has it that modern multi-threading has allowed the 8350 to catch up to the i5 3570K, but I am guessing this wouldn't be the case with the 3770K. Word is the 8350 has better memory performance, but I'm not sure how much that would help it in this scenario.

Please cast your vote! All things considered: gaming, Win10 general computer use, Adobe, etc etc, what is the better processor in 2019? Lets assume both chips have a moderate overclock.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    pretty tough for the 8350 to overcome the gap , > single threaded performance + more modern io (native usb 3, pcie 3.0) and what not still hold true,

8350 vs 3570k is a better question since they were sold in the same price bracket.

so long as hyperthreading is involved , its pretty hard to find benefits that the 8350 has over the intel part, even after all the security patching.

3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    While FX-8350 vs i5 3570K seems the more logical question, it has basically been shown that they're on par with one another in 2019. The increased single threaded performance of the i5 is no longer the benefit it once was, because modern applications are making better use of multi-threading, allowing the FX-8350 to shine. So I was curious if the 8350 has aged better than the i7 variety that can be used on the same LGA 2011 socket.

I've had one guru on the site already express an opinion that the 3770K isn't much better than the 8350 at all, and that they're closer than you'd think. So I wanted to see the opinion of many!

4. Outside of Hackintoshes, in 2019; why?

Ivy bridge is LGA 1155 iirc

I’d say the 3770 by a small margin after patching but... you’re using 7 year old tech counting & re consider OCing... (meaning don’t OC on tech that old)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2019
    pimpernell likes this.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I will say, that a 4th option, between by a little and by a longshot would have been my preference.

6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Because I have an offer on a high end Intel mobo and chipset for next to nothing :) Also because a full upgrade will not happen for another roughly 2-3 years, unless a part dies and forces an upgrade. And you posted here but didn't vote!

7. It’s tempting :) but you can’t be certain how the owner treated those parts 24/7 for the many years they were used if they OC’d to what extent how hard they were stressed & if the right voltages, settings & cooling were applied over time. There’s a lot to consider all even with a trustworthy seller & old parts which is why I’m of the mind that it’s better to not put the money towards it. The performance difference is nill. I ought to know I have a 3770S (It’s my hackintosh build) @Undying was spoton with his reply I agree with him all the way on this. Upgrade, don’t sidegrade. Best case scenario you’ll just spend your money & the parts will be fine...

Undying likes this.
  8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    How much is a little?

If you can get a 3770K for little money, delid it and replace the gunk with some Coollaboratory Liquid Pro, it'll shave down temps by 15-25c or so and net you a higher overclock. With the i7 running at 4.6-4.8ghz + I imagine the gap between it and the 8350 in the majority of situations to be fairly substantial. If my memory serves the old Piledriver chips hit diminishing returns once OC'd beyond a certain point.

Regardless, I agree with the others when it comes to upgrading over side-grading. Unless you're talking 10-20 bucks I just wouldn't bother, save your money for Ryzen 3 and end of year sales, from what I've heard the hexa + chips will be extremely well priced for the performance they'll offer.

9. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I've already done it lol. Once its all said and done and I sell my FX setup, I will probably net a $20-30 profit on the whole thing. It depends on what I can sell my FX and board for ;) I'll definitely be looking at the new Ryzens within a couple years, but for now, I think this will fit the bill nicely. I only game in 1080P on a 75hz monitor, and this combined with my RX580 are very capable of the job.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Fair enough. lol

Are you noticing an improvement?

DSparil likes this.

11. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    There is an improvement yes! Not so much in general computing, but in some games. I’m getting a 10-15 FPS boost in Quake Champions and similar results in some other titles.

Darkest likes this.
  12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If you're looking at 1080p, the 3770k definitely will be better. That being said, at the cost of even used Intel hardware you might as well go Ryzen.

But to be fair, FX aged very decently lol. The pile driver skus though not the original Bulldozers. Sure they use a lot of power, but even at higher resolutions and refresh rate they can keep up with modern hardware in most cases fairly well. Not too far off from current hardware. :) Here's a decent example of that.

Where you might suffer of course are your lows but hey considering a platform back from 2011-2012 era is still viable today, that's not too bad.

Keitosha, DSparil and Undying like this.
  13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I figured that would be the case, glad to hear it worked out for you mate.

Enjoy your new (old) hardware!

DSparil likes this.
  14. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    With the i7 3770K vs the FX-8350, each core on the Intel CPU is about 40% better, then each AMD core, if they were both (Intel/AMD) running at the same clock speed.
    The AMD 8350 comes with twice as may cores, but that only helps if the software is designed to take advantage of all those cores.
    AMD 8350 only has slightly better memory access speed, then the i7 3770
    Not sure why you even looking at the older AMD FX-8350, as AMD's newer CPUs are better.

15. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    I had an fx 9590 and a 3770 at the same time. - both brand new.

The 3770 was 1 - 2 fps better using identical GPUs and ram in most benchmarks that I ran.
    In synthetics like 3dmark sometimes the scores could be 100% higher (3770) on some of the simple tests pointing to software exploits.

Gaming without monitoring fps I would dare anyone to pick the difference.
    I have very little faith in reviews after doing all the testing myself.

DSparil likes this.

16. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I don't doubt that, but that's not exactly apples to apples there. You're talking about a 9590 at 5ghz or more. I also don't put too much emphasis on benches. Benches are cool and everything, but synthetic benches don't replicate real world performance. Some people cracked jokes at me for getting an FX back in the day vs an i5. They'd send me synthetic benchmarks showing that the i5 was always superior. Fact was, my everyday computing was equally as fast or faster than theirs in most tasks. Although it is true the i5 was certainly better in gaming, which I am experiencing now.

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Didn't you think to yourself your GPU capped the performance? :D

DSparil likes this.
  18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Lol Good point. Probably a bottleneck

19. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    Nope.

I used mainly rts and simulations in my tests.

20. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    What rts?