UPS making a smell that's making me sick. Off-gassing?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 321Boom, May 23, 2019.

1. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    Hello Gurus,
    4 months ago I bought a CyberPower UPS CP1500EPFCLCD-UK. It started emitting a very strong smell, best way to describe it I would say is a plastic-y kind of smell, which makes my throat swell (even swallowing normally feels like a chore due to the swelling, like I've got a huge lump in my throat), causes coughing and irritation in my throat (and sometimes my eyes if I'm close to the UPS), and also getting a headache if I'm in the room for a couple of hours. The smell is noticeable instantly as I go into my room, so it's not just being close to the UPS that's the problem.

I did some research on this, and the closest thing I could relate to is that it is off-gassing/outgassing. From info I found on other threads and sites, they said that between 5 days to 3 weeks and the off-gassing should stop. Others even stated that it never did stop for them, even after owing it for months. I've had this one for 4 months and it never stopped. I went back to the retailer, and told them about the problem. They said they need to test and inspect it before moving forward. They did, and called me back after a week. Weirdly enough they said that they aren't smelling anything unless they go really close to it's vents, nor are they noticing any adverse side effects on their health, but thankfully agreed to replace the unit for me anyway. I got the new replacement yesterday (same model, cause I want something with a Pure Sinewave), and I'm sorry to say that it's doing the same thing :(

Any of you gurus ever experienced a problem like this with your UPS, and if so, what can I do to stop this off-gassing smell? It's driving me crazy and I need a UPS due to frequent power outages here :/

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    my UPS has no such smell, if this sort of thing is ok by cyberpower standards, then im afraid they are low quality trash.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I have a CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD and have had no such issue in the 6 years I've owned mine....

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I've had several cyberpower units and never experienced anything like that either. Maybe the first day or two but nothing strong enough like you're describing.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    That sounds bad.
    Usually PSU are smell when you unpack them, as @nhlkoho said, first few days.

I'd highly recommend to contact maker and make sure its not faulty unit or at least use extension cords and move PSU away.
    If you have basement, just move it there, use extension cords to pull the power from it to your pc.

Breathing it doesn't sound healthy at all.

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Ive had battery packs smell if they are brand new, but it goes away after a fewdays.

7. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate all your input.

Yes that's what I read when I googled it, they said it usually goes away in 5 days to 3 weeks, so I waited it out for even longer than that, but all for nothing, although some users reported having it for months without it ever diminishing, like what happened in my case :/ I got the replacement unit and it's doing the same thing. I've only had it for 3 days though, so I'll give it some more time maybe it needs to do it's 'breaking in' period?

Oh yes believe me it's horrible, and I'm more worried about the health side effects rather than the smell (although the smell isn't pleasant either). Unfortunately I don't have a basement since I live in a semi-basement apartment :/ I contacted the retailer and they gave me a new one, so I'm trying that out currently, and also emailed CyberPower customer support with the issue, but haven't heard back from them yet.

Could I put the UPS in some sort of sealed cabinet (with a small hole to pass the cables through)? So this way the smell/fumes/whatever it's emitting stay trapped in that cabinet and don't reach me, or will it overheat or cause damage to the unit? I imagine they need breathing space/ventilation?

Maybe get a fan to blow on full power at it for 8 hours while I'm at work, maybe it removes some of the chemicals/VOCs from the manufacturing process? I don't know, pulling at straws here, which is why i came to ask the gurus.

So far still on day 3 of testing it/trying to air it out, it's currently on in my room while I'm at work, so as soon as I get home and go into my room I'll see if I notice the smell, and within a few small minutes the health side effects :/

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That doesn't sound right. I have two CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPSs and neither of them have a strong smell (or even a smell at all). I recommend contacting the manufacturer about it or swapping it for another unit.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  10. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    I just did replace the unit 4 days ago for a brand new one (same model though, I need something that's pure sinewave), the replacement is causing the same issues as the first unit I had :/ I also did contact CyberPower by email but haven't heard back from them yet. Got home yesterday to a room full of a smell of plastic :(

Ahh that's a bit over my budget mate, especially since I need a 900W model (I need to hook up my TV to it too which is around 200W, apart from my PC which has a 750W PSU), but it truly is beautiful being an online UPS. Well done on your investment.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Ah, you've already contacted CyberPower. Well, keep pestering them - a smell that make you physically sick is not acceptable for any product.

Does you PC actually consume 750 watts though? Also, you can plug in a TV on a non-battery outlet (I don't suppose you need your TV during blackouts?). What do you use this UPS for?

12. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    Yes I'll definitely send them a follow up email on Monday if I don't hear from them till then :)

I highly doubt it does, but it might get close if I'm at full load though (I record with x264 while gaming so I push my CPU quite hard, and I have a GTX 980Ti Jetstream which is 250W according to the specs sheet). I have the TV hooked up to my PC instead of a monitor, so I need it on the UPS otherwise I can't see what I'm doing to quit out of the game, save my recording and close OBS (the recording program I use) and safely shutdown my system. UPS is going to be used just for my PC and TV, literally for just 5 mins in a blackout to shut things down safely. I don't plan on riding out a blackout and keep playing and recording while on UPS battery power. I need to get another UPS like this to hook up to my server which I should be commissioning at the end of this year.

13. Bobp

Bobp Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    Same problem with APC Backup UPS Pro 1500MS2. Contacted APC and they sent me a replacement. Has less smell but still there. Will tough it out for 5 days to 3 weeks as recommended by others.