ARM No Longer In Business With Huawei Either

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2019.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    Huawei may complain to the heavens (and does), but they have brought this on themselves.

in no way shape or form am i a supporter of mr. Trump, but as the saying goes "a broken clock is right two times a day".
    picking on China is easy and low hanging fruit. the Chinese having game-planned their entire economic resurgence never counted on two things, 1) getting caught stealing and 2) the rise of arrogant behavior commensurate with their (awesome) economic advances.
    boiling all of the U.S. and China relations down over time leaves these as the basic truths.

the economic policies themselves re: Chinese production are already strongarm tactics that would never be tolerated in a nation of fewer (potential) consumers. the Chinese cleverly used capitalistic greed to enrich their technology and economic base.
    but the problem is the Chinese didn't stop there, and there is no appropriate oversight in one party countries to tell them "hey guys, maybe the pace of industrial and military espionage is too high, we should throttle it back".

every single foreign company in China has been exploited by industrial espionage with dossiers compiled on their workforce and cell phones are always monitored.

airbud7, Kaarme, carnivore and 2 others like this.
  2. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    These sanctions are nothing at all to do with IP theft, that is another matter which is adjudicated in the court of law, as Apple and Samsung have demonstrated over the last few years.

This is not in the court of law but being used by a government as a tool as part of it's current policy aims.

Unfortunately that 20th C attitude led to a lot of misery in the world in the 20thC.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2019
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The current policy aim is to curb IP theft...

I also don't know how you can say it's adjudicated in the court of law when China's government doesn't even recognize 90% of the IP theft occurrences at all.

tunejunky and airbud7 like this.
  4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    USA and PRC are both all but free-trade countries. The difference between USA and PRC is the first have two parties ruled by private companies, the second only one.

Turanis likes this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    No, it didn't. It just couldn't prevent all the misery.

fantaskarsef and Denial like this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, its not.

its economic warfare, which got america attacked by the japanese in the 40's.

7. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    As the action is being taken in the USA and not China then it should be the US courts to decide if the plaintiff has a case. The issue here is that this is not one company against another, which would be settled in the courts, but a country against a company.

You keep going on about IP theft, but this ban is not to do with IP theft. It is to do with US national security fears.

http://time.com/5589947/executive-order-huawei-products/

True, the US is unhappy about IP theft, but this is actually to do with security fears tied in with current US policy towards China on trade imbalance.#

Here is the executive order

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...ications-technology-and-services-supply-chain

You are saying it did not happen and then immediately it did, but had no effect.

????

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2019
  8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I can understand USA being upset about IP theft but shouldn´t the this issue be settled on a court??? Because when a country is the plaintiff and the judge at the same time, something is very wrong...

As for the security risk related to the 5G network, i agree with it and i think the US are correct about not wanting to deploy something so critical from a company with very close ties with a foreign government but instead of banning them they should simply make their own 5G network and that´s it. Of course then other countries are going to think seriously if they should use any critical hardware from the US because the US have been caught spying even their allies...

As for the US stealing technological secrets and giving them to US companies i think that´s already happened in the past but i´m not completely sure. But it has been proved that the US have used intel gathered from spying to help "their" companies an edge on business deals, for example the US helped Boeing beat Airbus for some very lucrative contracts in some middle east countries.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Minor ones, compared to Huawei.....

Well.....the US Gov't has asked for "backdoors" to be built into hardware and software from American companies..... In my experience, those that are the most suspicious of the actions of others, are usually the most guilty of those actions....

Companies tend to be based where their founders live at the time of incorporation..... If a US citizen decides to start a company, it's more likely to be based in the US than any other country. Such were the cases with Intel, AMD, NVidia, Microsoft, IBM (originally), Apple, etc.. Why should they be based in any other country when their founders were all US citizens?

10. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Never said the US government wasn't hypocritical,
    "our back doors are ok, but yours aren't" seems like typical us policy on matters like these.

signex and fantaskarsef like this.

11. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    To me is simple:
    1. Show proof;
    2. If they say Huawei is quilty, how can you say that the other companies in China are not quilty. So either ban all or none ! Because we are speaking of China...
    Here i see only economic interest at hand.
    Because Trump cant say: Ok all firms from US close all your production from China and do it in US. So he did this.

12. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Why don't they just do like US companies do and just shuffle the board members around, change their brand and re-emerge as a "new" company? While they're at it, they can pick a name that's easier for Westerners to get right.

I find it interesting that the Trump party (formerly the Republicans, or the GOP - Grand Old Party - Now the GOT - Gangsters of Trump) is going along with this, since they were the ones to open trade with China in the first place.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    MonstroMart likes this.
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

xD.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    1 very important thing guys... we are talking about national security, plus IP theft, plus national means of collecting information.
    if this was to go to a court, it would be a sealed, special court in D.C. that specifically handles intelligence warrants and national means of verification.

period.

there is no right to a public hearing re: either national security OR IP theft. although IP theft by itself can be handled by the Circuit Court, under a closed courtroom.

15. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    quite right....excepting the fact that Huawei wants to put back doors on all 5g networks.
    and all of their phones are not secure... when i go to China i use a Korean burner phone (pre-paid) as all cell communications are monitored anyways, this allows me to have my pictures and video uncompromised at the device level. yeah they can see what i upload to the cloud and my calls, but i only upload outside of China.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Why behind closed doors? Afraid of letting people, especially US citizens, know about what their own intelligence services do?
    When it's about IP theft, why isn't this the official reason? I doubt the US, and international community, would support such a reasoning less than they do now.

Let me fix that for you my friend:
    "Expect that the US government wants to put their own backdoors in all 5G networks, and only their's, not their's and China's.
    All android phones of google are not secure... do you do the same in the US too, when you go there? Since they monitor your communication just as much... pictures and video not being compromised, that's just a joke on android phones as well."

tunejunky likes this.
  17. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

and now i'm properly chastised for the at home lazy security failure(s).
    dude, you should write an episode of "Black Mirror".

carnivore and fantaskarsef like this.
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Na my friend, I'm just trying to stress, nobody's innocent in these times anymore. And doubt can go both ways. Hence we need proof to make an educated decision, or form our opinions. Without facts, proof, it's all just polemics, either from me or other people.

What really is scary is that we are all involved in this, to a certain degree, and we have next to no way of knowing for sure what is happening with this. We're just in for the ride of news reports we can hardly check for their truth or not.
    The 21st century is the age of thinking we know, but indeed, knowing less than in the late 90s, or at least that's how it feels to me often.

tunejunky likes this.