Microsoft Releases Windows 10 May 2019 update (available now)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2019.

1. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    No thanks, I'll wait until it forces itself on me at the most inopportune time imaginable.

Exodite likes this.
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I will probably stay on 1809 untill i upgrade to Zen2.

3. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Just tried and it failed.... lolz Did it's download, said needed to reboot. I reboot and it says the usual and this will take a while. It ran for like 2 minis and rebooted and said undoing changes done to your system and rebooted again back to the way it was.... :eek: No error messages or anything.... Gonna try again here in a few....

4. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    exactly the same with me ... i thought my laptops fault, so i tried again... and again but disconnected from power... well :(

5. Carbonic

Carbonic Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    Testing it out and this is my experience so far. My personal Windows settings etc. are the same it seems, so nothing reset. Production tools run as before. Battlefield V, Battlefront 2, Apex, Satisfactory, Hearthstone etc. all working fine. Start menu a bit more responsive - probably since it's been moved to it's own process. Some settings I rarely use have been moved around and perhaps changed a bit = doesn't matter, might be better in the long run. Windows updates updated to give me more control = nice.
    So, so far a pleasant experience.

6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    "For Windows 10 devices that are at, or within several months of reaching, end of service". Really? that's fast, i only just got 1809 a few days ago and they are already saying it's end of service.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hmm not even week after I installed 1809 on uncles pc cleanly

8. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    Installed just fine on my PC. Had to enforce it since Windows Update didn't show the 1903.

After installation I had to reinstall my graphics drivers but the rest went over fine. No loss of documents either .
    Even my Soundblaster Zx still worked (with the settings reset though)

There's a separate option for "Stream HDR video" in the monitor -> HDR and WCG settings now.

Unfortunately I still can't stream Netflix in either HDR or UHD on my Vega, so updating to 1903 didn't do crap in that regard...

EDIT:
    On the other hand, I recently moved to Ryzen from an 5-year old Haswell-E based mainboard and CPU, and in 3D Mark Firestrike the "Combined score" on my Ryzen+Vega 64 was much lower than on the Intel, despite the "Physics score" being way higher.
    After installing the 1903 update, the score is now similar again, so apparently some bottleneck was removed:
    https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/19400332/fs/19399764/fs/17208919/fs/9080949

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Fox2232 likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Vega support for playready 3 does not exist, which is a requirement for netflix 4k

10. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    I know that. And I think it's ridiculous since over a year ago support was added for Polaris graphics solutions. But it's another discussion, nothing to do with Windows...

11. panogr

panogr Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800XT Ref
    i just updated 3 pc`s and 1 tablet at home . no problems at all

12. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Well I tried it again and all went smoothly this time. Just like Morax, I had to reinstall my graphics driver. Everything else seems to be the same and also no loss of documents, files, etc... So far so good. Have only tried one game(Rage 2) and it played just as good as b4, didn't notice anything better or worse. I guess time will tell. I'll report back good or weird things as I try it out.

13. smashmambo

smashmambo Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    Did a secure erase on my primary drive (M.2 Samsung EVO) and installed fresh via Windows Media Creation Tool (USB). Installation was fast / painless and everything appears to be working as it should. One thing I have noticed is that things 'appear' smoother even though the fps is generally the same. Perhaps MS have finally fixed the fullscreen optimisation problems that have been around for a while. Need to do more testing.

14. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Tried to upgrade using an iso from the media creation tool wouldn't do it with a usb drive attached believe it or not. It also said to remove it and try again eeerrrr what? There is a problem with drive letters being reassigned which will be fixed with a servicing update if a usb drive is attached.

15. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Working great so far for me

16. CoMmAnDrX2

CoMmAnDrX2 Guest

GPU:
    MSIGTX680 Lightning
    Damn I'm missing all the Windows 10 fun.

Can't wait to get the new shop operational... this time not in a building that also has a damn laundromat :mad:

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I'm going to wait until MS pushes the Update via Windows update which supposedly going to happen sometime next month.

When I was doing research on whether or not I should update to 1809 I ran across a few articles saying that MS discontinued 1809 due to the many issues they have had with it. Also it was getting close to the 1903 release.

18. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I updated to this latest version of Windows yesterday, no issues so far, the update didn't require any changes or re-installations of software, everything seems to be working fine. Windows settings such as Cortana & Privacy settings don't seem to have been reset, so they don't seem to be forcing a new agenda on you if you've already made your choices. 3DMark Timespy results are the same, haven't had time for any gaming yet. There's a subtle new look to some of the windows & buttons, it looks ok, seems the same to use as before. 3DMark Firestrike score slightly lower (less than 1% - I did run it a number of times and saw the same pattern), but given that Timespy was ok then I think it will be ok & the acid test is gaming, which I'll get round to in a few days.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Update took about same amount of time as doing clean install and setting everything from scratch (and additional 6 restarts). Then finally login screen and bastard says: "Hi, we have some updates for you. This may take a while..." 4 minutes later: "Almost there." ...

20. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Can't install it on my Ryzen 2700X system - says some driver/service isn't compatible. Doesn't say which driver/service - not very helpful. All the important drivers are compatible to my knowledge. Dunno about any obscure drivers but chipset, graphics, iCUE, antivirus etc are all up to date.