THQ nordic has FIFTY games they have to yet announce

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 22, 2019.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    "During the period we signed multiple new projects, among them a new development agreement with 4A Games, the developers of the Metro franchise, for their upcoming, still undisclosed, AAA-project. By the end of the quarter, THQ Nordic, Deep Silver and Coffee Stain had 80 games in development, of which 48 titles are currently unannounced."

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/thq-nordic-has-nearly-50-unannounced-games-in-development/

craaazy. bring back all the THQ classics!!!

they bought Piranha Bytes makers of Gothic now too

Undying likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Wow, imagine Gothic 1/2 remake or even a new chapter in the series. Ah, one can dream.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    only 3 of them will see the light of day.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Not sure I trust Piranha Bytes with the Gothic license again, their output has gone down massively in quality since the early Gothic games.

JonasBeckman likes this.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Nah the owner Lars Vilgefors is a very rich person (Around 8 billion SEK I think it was.) and also part of other business venues like the estate market if I'm not mixing it up plus using shares and focusing on lower development costs and acquisitions they can sustain this model for a very long time, sure they spent a few million USD for 2019 so far but they've also earned around 225 million USD back so it's been several years of profits, growth and gains.

They're not THQ of old (Though they've since absorbed THQ.) who spent 50 million on marketing alone for Darksiders 2 I think it was or tons of money on projects like STALKER which also took years of development time costing even more, Darksiders 3 I think had a budget below what they used for the first game and it broke even fairly quickly.

Metro Exodus, Kingdom Come and a few other publishing deals have also been million sellers so I think they're pretty set as long as they keep to the same practice of not overspending or overestimating earnings and expected sales.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The announcement and presentation highlights Piranha Bytes and Gothic but yes Piranha Bytes Red I think is the studio that has some of the remaining developers of these earlier years and then the studios is Piranha Bytes in name although Elex wasn't terrible but more polish and other work would have been useful and some systems are broken entirely with parts of the English locale either mistranslated, cut or truncated compared to the German one.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Assuming the Red studio still exists at all that is, think they got bogged down with developing something new.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-did-piranha-bytes-split.123321/

7. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I never played Elex but followed it a little bit and saw that when it launched it was in a really bad condition.

8. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    my son said it the most frustratin game he has ever played that there is a great game underneath but the execution and amount of bugs is fkin abysmal, sounds like a Piranha Bytes game to me!!!

9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It has a good foundation but it's fairly rough, controls aren't too bad but mechanically it's kinda messy and most skills barely even work short of providing you with the requirement for using stronger weapons only some weapons don't require that investment and provides far better attack output than you'd get from leveling up and acquiring these rare swords or axes when a plasma rifle can lay down almost any opponent and ammo is plentiful.

Studio has their strength with world building and immersion but the gameplay and tech needs another pass though I am fairly certain the game is considered done with and Elex 2 is in development now as the next title out.
    Risen had much the same and then the sequels kept turning it into different things entirely and as for Gothic well the second game in particular still holds up once you get the controls learnt and realize that early on you're not very much of anything.
    (First one is a bit tougher for how it controls and even less handholding can be a frustrating learning curve for new players.)

From what it looks like sales were not the best and overall reviews have also lowered from every installment so I guess the overall situation financially wasn't the best though a exact purchase price wasn't provided other than the estimation for it equaling around three years of royalty payment for a unspecified number of titles. (Probably meaning not very much what with how this is split between publisher and developer earnings though it keeps the studio afloat and now under THQ Nordic and Nordic Games.)

EDIT: But I also beat Gothic 3 before the fan patch effort made it far less of a frustrating experience so it could affect my own views a bit, most players might find the games from new Piranha Bytes a bit rough and not just from the higher learning curve and difficulty but gameplay issues, game balance and of course also bugs and some outright broken mechanics.

That and as mentioned the English text is rough but I don't have a good overview although examples provided point to a greatly cut down localization over the German one, some of the quest details are omitted or outright wrong and the translation quality a bit of a mixed bag plus voice acting though that's secondary to wander off over here and do this and then you were expected to be in some other area entirely.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ask him to play and judge Morrowind.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    And how many of these are "remasters"

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I prefer Gothic 1/2 over Morrowind any day.

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Still getting updates for Titan Quest Anniversary Edition so they must be busy.

14. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    That almost seems like too many. Quality over quantity and such... but if they can pull it off while ensuring good quality then good for them!

Just please no exclusives..

15. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    If they gonna remaster Gothic 1+2 that would be nice but also i dont know if i would even play them again You dont know how many times i played those two, through the end, lol.
    Gothic 2 with Night of the raven is probably the most game i played through the end (well, and Half-Life 1 :D). I even was a beta tester back then for PB.

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I will only be happy...

If they announce a new Red Faction, Saints Row... and Darksiders 4.

Outside of that... pfft.

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I would love to see another Red Faction like the original. I hated the last two games

18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Guerilla was fun, if not a bit... too large.
    But, the fourth game... well, I don't think I even finished it.

But, yeah, Read Faction was great. The second game was a little bit of a let down, but could still be fun.

19. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Part of me hopes for a Kingdoms of Amalur remaster (although I've read that they would need the go-ahead from EA, so that's most likely never happening) or a sequel. I'd leave the Gothic games to rest (but a remaster / or patching the old ones for modern systems and HW would be appreciated.

20. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Btw. doesn't THQ Nordic now own the Alone in the Dark license? That would be a good idea for a new game. We need more old school lovecraftian survival horror.

Undying likes this.